• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

nothingman

The two main advantages of the latest Device Control software are that future firmware and software upgrades will be easier, and that you can now give each preset a meaningful name.

…only when viewing the names within the Device Console on your desktop.

I think a bunch of us got excited about this feature when it was first described, thinking the purpose of each present could be obvious to anyone from the couch, then it was described more fully and it’s like, ohhhh, great, thanks for nothing. Beyond not being able to properly rename presets and not being able to rename inputs and not being able to set input-specific gain settings, they didn’t really build in any flexibility for themselves or users.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
…only when viewing the names within the Device Console on your desktop.

I think a bunch of us got excited about this feature when it was first described, thinking the purpose of each present could be obvious to anyone from the couch, then it was described more fully and it’s like, ohhhh, great, thanks for nothing. Beyond not being able to properly rename presets and not being able to rename inputs and not being able to set input-specific gain settings, they didn’t really build in any flexibility for themselves or users.
Oh yes, there's definitely scope for doing more but I do still think being able to re-name the presets within DC is helpful.

MikeP

Just as an info: besides the display related settings, they also removed the remote IR learning feature in the last software update (Device Console).

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
This “updated” review is no longer current at all. Per users on miniDSP’s forum, it’s just been learned that miniDSP silently switched to using ESS ES9028Q2M DACs. The SHD was only ever an AKM device since its debut. I get that the ESS models could perform identical or even better than the AKM ones, but that really needs to be proven. miniDSP made this change without notifying their community (something they’ve done for updates to the Pi component), nor even updating their website spec sheet almost a year after making this change. PCBs with the ESS DACs are marked with March 7, 2022 (or July 3, 2022 at the latest if they are using that formatting). Not telling the community is one thing, selling for months and months with an outdated spec sheet is another.
Does this mean it will play DSD now?

Ultrasonic

Does this mean it will play DSD now?
I believe that DSD has to be converted to PCM for the DSP/Dirac Live, so it's never really been the DAC chips that are the limiting factor re. DSD. From memory I believe @RichB knows more about this in the SHD context.

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I believe that DSD has to be converted to PCM for the DSP/Dirac Live, so it's never really been the DAC chips that are the limiting factor re. DSD. From memory I believe @RichB knows more about this in the SHD context.
Understood but the current SHD won’t recognize or play them prior to conversion. I have several hundred DSD tracks in my library and it would be nice if the SHD played them converted or not.

Ultrasonic

Understood but the current SHD won’t recognize or play them prior to conversion. I have several hundred DSD tracks in my library and it would be nice if the SHD played them converted or not.
Possibly you're missing that the signal path is always through the DSP chip prior to getting to the DACs? My point being you'd need an upstream change not just that the DAC chips have been changed.

I'd suggest you reply on the miniDSP forum to the person who says they have an SHD with an ESS DAC chip to see if they could test this for you but my money is on it still not being possible to play DSD.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon does not consider the MiniDSP SHD DSD capable and converts to PCM.
The MiniDSP SHD uses DSP volume control, meaning PCM. Since most users are expected to use PEQ or Dirac, the product has not direct to DAC mode, so as you say, DSD is not an option regardless of the DAC.

- Rich

Staki

Forum Donor
Thanks. I hadn't seen any indication to the contrary, but figured it was worth asking.

My OLED screen is pretty shot already (since dimming/auto-off wasn't present in the initial firmware), so I guess we'll see how bad it is.

A word of warning. I upgraded from earlier SHD plugin to Device Console and although I followed the instructions to the letter, I managed to brick the SHD completely. There is a bug and I was told that it is a corner case due to my specific configuration and an unusual sequence of events, but who knows. MiniDSP support was very helpful and after several very frustrating days there were able to provide me with a procedure to unbrick the device. The issue happens once you start restoring the preset configurations from saved .xml files and the workaround is to only do this one preset at a time, and then disconnect from SHD and connect again before restoring the next preset.

Another thing which was not made very clear in the docs was that you will lose all your Dirac configs, so you better have them saved separately.

The new firmware 1.50 turns off the OLED screen automatically pretty fast.

-- Stanislav

ebslo

Forum Donor
A word of warning. I upgraded from earlier SHD plugin to Device Console and although I followed the instructions to the letter, I managed to brick the SHD completely. There is a bug and I was told that it is a corner case due to my specific configuration and an unusual sequence of events, but who knows. MiniDSP support was very helpful and after several very frustrating days there were able to provide me with a procedure to unbrick the device. The issue happens once you start restoring the preset configurations from saved .xml files and the workaround is to only do this one preset at a time, and then disconnect from SHD and connect again before restoring the next preset.

Another thing which was not made very clear in the docs was that you will lose all your Dirac configs, so you better have them saved separately.

-- Stanislav
Mine did that too. I think it happened when I went a bit too fast and tried to switch to the next slot before it had completely finished restoring the current one; it seems Device Controller doesn't know that the unit is still busy. The display said something like "DSP FAIL" even after power cycling. but after several minutes messing with it, Device Controller was able to restore the device (wiping out all settings again). I restored each slot again making sure the display returned to normal between each slot and it worked fine.

Overall I like the new interface, especially WRT managing slots and the new "template" mode, but clearly there are reasons it's a beta release.

Staki

Forum Donor
Mine did that too. I think it happened when I went a bit too fast and tried to switch to the next slot before it had completely finished restoring the current one; it seems Device Controller doesn't know that the unit is still busy. The display said something like "DSP FAIL" even after power cycling. but after several minutes messing with it, Device Controller was able to restore the device (wiping out all settings again). I restored each slot again making sure the display returned to normal between each slot and it worked fine.

Overall I like the new interface, especially WRT managing slots and the new "template" mode, but clearly there are reasons it's a beta release.

Yep, I had DSP FAIL at first too, and I also tried to mess with it, which included reverting back to the old SHD plugin. I was later informed by MiniDSP that this is a no-no. Eventually ended up in a situation where the display was completely blank and unit unresponsive.

Ultrasonic

-- Stanislav

For info. for all, a new Device Console version was released yesterday and the changelog suggests it should have resolved the above issue:

jtatknox

I am an early adopter of the SHD and am happy with the device overall. One thing that has always bothered me is that it seemed like Dirac Live would absolutely ruin the bass sound from my 2.1 system to the point that I didn't want to listen with Dirac activated.

I recently was going through some audio test files, and tried out a drum solo in and out of phase.

In Phase: Dirac off sounds great, Dirac on sounds terrible with a hole in the middle
Out of phase: Dirac off sounds bad, Dirac on sounds great!

I did some research and found threads complaining about certain MiniDSP devices having single channels out of phase and that this can vary depending on the selected input. Lo and behold, the USB connection from my mac that I was using to generate Dirac filters was out of phase, so when I switched to other inputs Dirac would invert the phase because the filters compensate for 180º out of phase L and R channels on USB. This is also why bass from the sub was severely limited because L and R signals are sent to the same driver. (muting only L or R input to the sub restored bass volume).

Anyway, I updated to the most recent firmware and made new Dirac filters. I think that this is the best that my system has ever measured or sounded and I couldn't be happier.

If you are unhappy with how Dirac is performing on your SHD, please take some time to check that your phase is consistent between all of your inputs and consider updating firmware if necessary otherwise you may be generating Dirac Live filters that are counterproductive.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
It is absolutely true and critical that all basic system setup parameters be correct before beginning any room correction project, especially Dirac Live. As Dirac Live operates in the time domain any polarity inversions or reversals of left and right will lead to an unusable Dirac Live implementation (bad sounding mess) . When we implement a Dirac Live project the first thing we do is go through a full verification of the basic system setup, here are some details:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are several key concepts for the proper design, layout and execution of miniDSP-based audio systems. The first step is to make sure all the elements of your system are set up correctly and efficiently by performing a number of verification measurements.

In this blog, we will outline the process of making and interpreting key measurements to verify all basic system functions:
  1. Component Settings
  2. Cabling Integrity
  3. Speaker Driver Operation
  4. Speaker Polarity
  5. Relative Speaker Level Settings
  6. Crossover Function
  7. Speaker Room Positions

Completing the verification process using these steps will give you a proper sounding system. This, in turn, will provide the basis to successfully apply Room EQ Wizard (REW) filters or Dirac Live room correction to your audio system.

1. Component Settings

Before beginning the verification process, you will need to install REW and connect your UMIK-1 microphone and miniDSP 2x4 HD, Flex or SHD to your computer. Be sure that you have adequate USB cable lengths to position the computer in the listening area and have the ability to move the microphone around the seating area.

Diagram 1. Positioning for microphone and computer.
Diagram 1. Positioning for microphone and computer.

First check each component's hardware and/or software settings to make sure they are all in the proper configuration or nominal position. To perform basic measurements, use REW software. Depending on your specific system components, examples may include:

• Amplifier mono versus stereo switch and gain settings
  • Speaker tone gain control knobs
  • Bi-wiring connections
  • Subwoofer(s) level, phase, inversion and tone settings
  • Preamplifier and power amplifier level trim knobs
  • miniDSP restore all to default
  • miniDSP select USB input

IMPORTANT: If applicable, set any / all of the above settings that apply to your specific components to nominal.

2. Cabling Integrity

Before beginning a system tuning project, all of your system components need to be operating in proper working condition. To confirm cabling integrity, use REW or a noise generator and listen to each speaker and subwoofer individually to confirm the connections listed below.

Diagram 2.  Example of the REW noise generator.
Diagram 2. Example of the REW noise generator.

• All cables are connected correctly and securely
  • Left and right main speakers sound the same and match the subwoofer(s) levels
  • No drivers are damaged or misconnected
  • Left is left and right is right for all speakers
  • No speaker cable connections are inverted

Diagram 3.  Cables and connections need to be verified throughout the system.
Diagram 3. Cables and connections need to be verified throughout the system.

This process is performed using the output page on the miniDSP plug-in. With the plug-in you can selectively mute, unmute, invert, etc. each of the connected speakers and subwoofer(s). This process will confirm the proper operation of your system elements.

Diagram 4.  miniDSP output page used for system measurements and verification.
Diagram 4. miniDSP output page used for system measurements and verification.

3. Speaker Driver Operation

It's important to make sure that each of the individual drivers, tweeters, mid-ranges and woofers are functioning properly. This is accomplished by using REW to measure the frequency response of each of the speakers separately and combined to validate performance.

In this step we want to make sure there are no burned out drivers, buzzes or rattles. You also can listen for and correct any excessive room vibrations. Room vibrations can include rattling pictures, light fixtures, cabinet doors, etc.

Diagram 5.  The subwoofer sweep measurement verifies the unit, but also helps identify physical room vibrations.
Diagram 5. The subwoofer sweep measurement verifies the unit, but also helps identify physical room vibrations.

Diagram 6.  A system composite sweep with main speaker and subwoofer should be additive in the crossover region.  This also will show the formation of the classic Harmon tilt.
Diagram 6. A system composite sweep with main speaker and subwoofer should be additive in the crossover region. This also will show the formation of the classic Harmon tilt.

4. Speaker Polarity

After confirming the integrity of all connections and speaker driver operation, the next step is to independently measure each of your channels, main speakers and subwoofer(s). First, view them on the All SPL screen of REW.

Diagram 7.  In this graph, green and orange represent left and right main speakers only; blue is the sum of both left and right.  You can see in this example they add by 6 dB, meaning they are in phase.
Diagram 7. In this graph, green and orange represent left and right main speakers only; blue is the sum of both left and right. You can see in this example they add by 6 dB, meaning they are in phase.

Next, we can verify the subwoofer(s) are non-inverted from the main speakers. If you have an inverted phase situation, the level will subtract in the crossover region of the drivers. The goal is to end up with all of the speakers being additive in power level.

Diagram 8.  The highlighted curve shows the flattest frequency response.
Diagram 8. The highlighted curve shows the flattest frequency response.

5. Relative Speaker Level Settings

The next step is to set all the levels to be approximately equivalent using the All SPL screen in REW. What should be notable here is that all of the relative speaker levels are close and sloping downward, exhibiting a Harmon tilt. By this point you should have made significant improvements, resulting in a nice sounding system.

Diagram 9:  Here we use the miniDSP output page to adjust the output amplitude values.
Diagram 9: Here we use the miniDSP output page to adjust the output amplitude values.

Diagram 10. This image shows traces overlaid with the left main, right main and subwoofer levels measured individually. The additive sum of speakers and subwoofer is highlighted. Notice the Harmon tilt reflected in the composite measurement.
Diagram 10. This image shows traces overlaid with the left main, right main and subwoofer levels measured individually. The additive sum of speakers and subwoofer is highlighted. Notice the Harmon tilt reflected in the composite measurement.

6. Crossover Function

One of miniDSP’s most powerful tools is the ability to create a very precise and neutral sounding main speaker plus subwoofer(s) system. This is an area where critical listening combined with measurements allows you to determine the best sounding setup. The goal is to have a neutral sounding system with no boominess that still allows you to feel the last octave in your chest.

Diagram 11. This graph represents the crossover used for the examples in this blog, including slopes, types and frequency.
Diagram 11. This graph represents the crossover used for the examples in this blog, including slopes, types and frequency.

This topic is further explored in our Tech Blog: Simplifying the Science of Subwoofer Integration

7. Speaker Room Positions

At any time in the process you can reconfirm that there are no significant issues with room placement of your speakers, especially the subwoofer(s).

For example, if you don’t see the expected performance out of a subwoofer you may wish to move it to a corner or some other location. Then you can use REW to verify that you have improved your system’s frequency performance.

Deer Creek Audio Tech Series:

Key Concepts for Creating a High-Fidelity Audio System

We offer a series of Tech Blogs to guide you through the key concepts for the proper design, layout and execution of miniDSP-based audio systems. The guides can be read sequentially with each concept building on the previous one, or individually as in-depth discussions of specific topics.

Please watch for future Tech Blogs about:
  • Initial System Verification
  • Delay Settings
  • Crossover Settings
  • Relative Amplitude Settings
  • Filters for Room Correction Using REW
  • Frequency and Time Domain Room Correction Using Dirac Live
  • Tuning to Taste
Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer

Last edited:

Todd74

I’m currently using my Denon 6700 in full preamp mode, with Audyssey on, streaming Tidal from Roku to the 6700. Now that my HT is finally finished I can think about dedicating resources to 2-channel listening.

My question is: if I get an audio switch and plug the SHD into the chain, what sonic differences would I expect and would they be discernible enough to warrant the purchase? My room is sealed and well treated, so my imaging & clarity already sound lovely.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
The biggest benefit of dedicating an SHD to the high-fidelity stereo listening aspect of your home theater is that you can eliminate the additional processing and DACs in your home theater audio video receiver (AVR) and get the added benefits of Dirac Live. The SHD is used as a dedicated digital preamplifier supporting Roon, Tidal, NAS streaming, etc. All of this is implemented in the digital domain, leveraging Dirac Live and premium performance DACs.

Here is a video that will give you some ideas on integrating the SHD into your home theater system, providing enhanced stereo listening performance. Combining the Best of High-end Stereo and Home Theater

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer.

Todd74

The biggest benefit of dedicating an SHD to the high-fidelity stereo listening aspect of your home theater is that you can eliminate the additional processing and DACs in your home theater audio video receiver (AVR) and get the added benefits of Dirac Live. The SHD is used as a dedicated digital preamplifier supporting Roon, Tidal, NAS streaming, etc. All of this is implemented in the digital domain, leveraging Dirac Live and premium performance DACs.

Here is a video that will give you some ideas on integrating the SHD into your home theater system, providing enhanced stereo listening performance. Combining the Best of High-end Stereo and Home Theater

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer.
I appreciate the response, but unfortunately it didn’t address my question. I understand what it does, which you’ve reiterated here. What I need to know is why I need it. Are the results worth it enough to merit an additional $1300 above and beyond my 6700?

I already have Audyssey XT32 + the app, so spending an extra $1300 to get Dirac Live isn’t really on my list of needs.

jtatknox

I appreciate the response, but unfortunately it didn’t address my question. I understand what it does, which you’ve reiterated here. What I need to know is why I need it. Are the results worth it enough to merit an additional $1300 above and beyond my 6700?

I already have Audyssey XT32 + the app, so spending an extra $1300 to get Dirac Live isn’t really on my list of needs.
If Dirac Live is not on your list of needs, and you already have a nice AVR setup with crossovers that you are happy with, I don't imagine that you would get much benefit at all from the SHD. If I were in your shoes, I would probably just switch the AVR to 2-channel mode for music listening and save the money for something else on your shopping list.

Todd74

If Dirac Live is not on your list of needs, and you already have a nice AVR setup with crossovers that you are happy with, I don't imagine that you would get much benefit at all from the SHD. If I were in your shoes, I would probably just switch the AVR to 2-channel mode for music listening and save the money for something else on your shopping list.
Thank you for the honest answer.
I do listen in 2-channel mode, just with Audyssey engaged, as it sounds better than Pure Direct.

deercreekaudio

Dealer

As an authorized miniDSP dealer, we believe that the SHD + Dirac Live + high quality amplifiers and speakers results in a world-class solution that is clearly superior to an audio video receiver (AVR) based system. SHD + Dirac is what we listen to in our work studio at Deer Creek Audio.

Top Bottom