• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

frosteaux

I'm considering purchasing a used SHD that was purchased by the original owner in January 2020. It appears that there were a couple of hardware updates in 2020 that wouldn't be included in this model, one addressing the jitter issue mentioned in the review. The unit has firmware 1.10 installed.

I'd like to answer a couple of questions before I pull the trigger and would appreciate any responses to my questions below.

Are the hardware updates must-haves, or are the improvements minor (it seems the jitter was very low level and inaudible, for example)?
Does MiniDSP make firmware updates and plugins available for used units, or would I need to purchase a new unit to access their downloads? I've registered on their site, but have no access to their user downloads area.

Thanks for any help with resolving these questions.

D

Deleted member 4708

I found this for you - maybe it is useful. It speaks of license transfer.

"STEP#2: Contact us by providing the model# & Serial# of your Dirac live unit and we'll manually enable software access within 2working days under your user downloads."

D

Deleted member 4708

To update firmware go to Settings/System settings/System version and update.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm considering purchasing a used SHD that was purchased by the original owner in January 2020. It appears that there were a couple of hardware updates in 2020 that wouldn't be included in this model, one addressing the jitter issue mentioned in the review. The unit has firmware 1.10 installed.

I'd like to answer a couple of questions before I pull the trigger and would appreciate any responses to my questions below.

Are the hardware updates must-haves, or are the improvements minor (it seems the jitter was very low level and inaudible, for example)?
Does MiniDSP make firmware updates and plugins available for used units, or would I need to purchase a new unit to access their downloads? I've registered on their site, but have no access to their user downloads area.

Thanks for any help with resolving these questions.

The newer Jan 2021 hardware using the NEO3 processors and also powers the USB port when powered on.
Prior to that, the USB port had constant power. I have the newer hardware and constructed a USB to trigger cable that automatically power on the AHB2. The AHB2 like many amps trigger powers on 5 volts.

There are many DACs, the MiniDSP included, that have remotes that can power on but no trigger out, Cognitive dissonance?

- Rich

Last edited:

frosteaux

Thanks for that info, Rich. I found a related post in the MiniDSP SHD support area: https://support.minidsp.com/support...001186263-which-version-of-the-shd-do-i-have-

This line in the post confirmed what I'd hoped: "There aren't sound quality difference between the two generations so if you own a neo2 unit, you do not need to rush for a neo3 unit :)." So I bought the unit, and am looking forward to hearing what I've read about in this forum.

Thanks to you and Boerd for helping me toward that decision.

Bruce

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FWIW I bought a used SHD and MiniDSP transferred the licence to me, allowing me to download the required configuration software, within 24 hours of notifying them. It could not have been easier.

D

Deleted member 4708

Mayday, mayday on the miniDSP SHD, mayday!
Question on gapless play for Qobuz / Volumio.

Context:
miniDSP SHD connected wirelessly to a 1GB internet network. Latest miniDSP SHD.

Problem:
  1. miniDSP is very, very slow in starting to play or taking any commands via browser
  2. When playing an album with classical music there is a 3-4 sec pause between tracks and at times in the middle of the track. It just ruins the experience.
In the same network, Amazon Music Unlimited works just fine through my Sony TV. No noticeable gaps. (maybe 1 sec but not 4 secs!)

Does anyone have any ideas? I thought I'd ask here first before miniDSP site.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4708

Volumio is pretty much useless on miniDSP. Not functional. Gaps in audio, it takes forever to scan a NAS library, etc. I tried most use-cases I could have and it's just a dud.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volumio is pretty much useless on miniDSP. Not functional. Gaps in audio, it takes forever to scan a NAS library, etc. I tried most use-cases I could have and it's just a dud.

I only use the Roon Endpoint via hard-wired lan and there are no issues with performance.
Can you try connecting using wired-lan?

- Rich

D

Deleted member 4708

I only use the Roon Endpoint via hard-wired lan and there are no issues with performance.
Can you try connecting using wired-lan?

- Rich
That could be it. I don't have LAN accessible there; the whole idea was to use fewer wires and a simple setup.
I will use my TV - it has no problems handling Amazon Music or Plex - all is fast. Over wireless connection.
Disappointing that a general use device like a TV does everything so much better in terms of digital music.
I use the miniDSP SHD only for the Dirac filters and for the digital inputs. I guess good enough.

D

Deleted member 4708

Ok - as expected, a user error.
First - I reset the SHD as it's just not normal to see that kind of behavior with a 4 core processor.
And Qobuz works - gapless, as expected in the year of grace 2022 :)

I was also able to reproduce the problem. While on WIFI I set the buffer for playing audio to max (12MB) in Volumio. This is simply too much. Just leave the 1 MB default.
The same happens if you try to cache more than 10% of the track before playing.
TLDR - don't change the defaults.

Now - I am not out of the woods. The audio drops here and there - very annoying, given I have a very good WIFI network (1GB router latest from Comcast). One step at a time.

supersergios

Hello good day,

I have a Dac Topping D90SE and I use Roon, inside Roon I have parametric filters with which I equalize the room. Well.

I have a stereo system with B&W 802 N speakers and a cinema system with more modest speakers.

Now I have discovered listening to the concerts in 2.0, I pass the signal from the Zidoo to the Dac by fiber optics, and I can use my stereo equipment to watch the concerts. But here I am left without room calibration, there is no equalizer.
I also have two subwoofers (Two Arendal2) that I have tried using and would need Dirac for this 4 piece set. Without equalizing the scene is blurred.

The question I would ask would be:
- Would I win selling my Dac Topping D90ES (which is like a number one Dac) to use this MiniDSP? Although the MiniDSP Dac is in the middle of the list of Dacs. Being a simpler Dac, will it sound better for having Dirac and coupling the subwoofers to the speakers?
- I have also thought about buying this MiniDSP SHD and using it as a back piece to my Dac Topping, entering through analog XLR and outputting the speakers and subwoofers also all in XLR (I don't know if when entering through analog the MiniDSP has to pass it to digital for calibration, and then back to analog using its worst internal Dac, thus the Dac Topping and its excellent quality did not help at all).

What do you advise me? Thanks in advance

——————————————————————————————————-

Hola, buenos días,

yo tengo un Dac Topping D90SE y utilizo Roon, dentro de Roon tengo filtros paramétricos con los que ecualizo la sala. Bien.

tengo un equipo stereo con altavoces B&W 802 N y otro de cine con altavoces más modestos

Ahora he descubierto escuchar los conciertos en 2.0 , paso la señal del Zidoo al Dac por fibra óptica, y puedo usar mi equipo stereo para ver los conciertos. Pero aquí me quedo sin la calibración de sala, no hay ecualizador.
tengo también dos subwoofers (Dos Arendal2) que he probado usar y necesitaría Dirac para este conjunto de 4 piezas. Sin ecualizar se emborrona la escena.

La pregunta que haría sería:
- Ganaría vendiendo mi Dac Topping D90ES (que está como un Dac de los números uno) para usar este MiniDSP? Aunque el Dac del MiniDSP esté en medio de la lista de los Dacs. Siendo un Dac más sencillo sonarà mejor por tener Dirac y acoplar los subwoofers a los altavoces?
- También he pensado comprar este MiniDSP SHD y usarlo como pieza posterior a mi Dac Topping, entrando por XLR analógico y dando salida a los altavoces y subwoofers también todo en XLR (no sé si al entrar por analógico el MiniDSP lo ha de pasar a digital para la calibración, y luego volverlo a pasar a analógico usando su peor Dac interno, con lo que el Dac Topping y su excelente calidad no sirvió para nada).

Qué me aconsejan? Gracias anticipadas

D

Deleted member 4708

Yes?
What do you say to my exchange thought and add this.
SHD Power ?
Thanks

Trading the top DAC for MiniDSP (Flex for example) would be a net gain for you due to DSP.
Yes you lose some DAC accuracy - highly unlikely the human ear can perceive it.
However, with a Dirac filter in place you can hear the difference. No doubt there.

SHD Power IMO has a compound problem: low power and so-and-so amplifier quality. I chose MiniDSP SHD + Benchmark AHB2. My 2c.

nick-v

Completely agree with the above, especially with the ability to actively cross over to sub(s) and time align. Also Dirac, it's really a no-brainer.

I went with miniDSP SHD + NAD C298 crossed over to a pair of subwoofers.

D

Deleted member 4708

Update on the usability of wifi and hi-def online streaming:
1. despite my patience and efforts I cannot get LAN to work between an extender and miniDSP SHD
2. with a better signal next to the miniDSP SHD the Volumio is behaving well. Totally usable with Qobuz - and the play is gapless

All in all - good usability for Volumio. Now if I can only figure out what is the problem with the LAN connection of an XFi Pod from Comcast and the SHD - it'd be great. Otherwise, I use the Pod/extender through WiFi and things work well even at 192/24.

supersergios

Trading the top DAC for MiniDSP (Flex for example) would be a net gain for you due to DSP.
Yes you lose some DAC accuracy - highly unlikely the human ear can perceive it.
However, with a Dirac filter in place you can hear the difference. No doubt there.

SHD Power IMO has a compound problem: low power and so-and-so amplifier quality. I chose MiniDSP SHD + Benchmark AHB2. My 2c.
Good morning, yes, I have also thought about the Flex model, I wonder if the quality will be the same as in this SHD or in the Flex it will be somewhat lower, I would not want to have the sssssssh sound in the tweeter.

Both you Boerd and Nick-v, have the SHD instead of the Flex, which one you recommend as better in sound quality and less noise (no tweeter noise if possible)? Thanks

Top Bottom