• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

supersergios

And now I'm reading from the MiniDsP_Flex: “4 channel output processing”
but in Dirac you only have 3 licenses : “Dirac Live® optional: 3x full range correction (20~20kHz)”

does it mean that it will calibrate the two speakers and a single subwoofer? In my case, I would need him to calibrate the two speakers and the two subwoofers, each subwoofer together with each of the two speakers, giving a stereo set. Does that mean you can't do it?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
And now I'm reading from the MiniDsP_Flex: “4 channel output processing”
but in Dirac you only have 3 licenses : “Dirac Live® optional: 3x full range correction (20~20kHz)”

does it mean that it will calibrate the two speakers and a single subwoofer? In my case, I would need him to calibrate the two speakers and the two subwoofers, each subwoofer together with each of the two speakers, giving a stereo set. Does that mean you can't do it?

Read it again. It says:

“Optional upgrade to Dirac Live® 3.x Digital Room Correction, Full Range Room Correction (20~20kHz)”

3.x is the Dirac version.

The Flex will calibrate two speakers and TWO subwoofers.

supersergios

You can also buy the SHD studio (no Dac) and connect digital out to the D90
I do not understand this, it does not have 4 outputs,
I need to have 2 xlr outputs to the atavices and two other xlr outputs to the subwoofers, so that each speaker goes with its subwoofer so that it is a stereo system with the subwoofers also in stereo

supersergios

Read it again. It says:

“Optional upgrade to Dirac Live® 3.x Digital Room Correction, Full Range Room Correction (20~20kHz)”

3.x is the Dirac version.

The Flex will calibrate two speakers and TWO subwoofers.
versión 3.xxxxx , jeje, ok

is that I have had the MiniDSP DDRC-24 and although it has four outputs, it only equalized two speakers, it did not equalize four.

Will the Flex model do it for four by joining each speaker with its subwoofer separately? and the SHD model has more quality? or is it the same? thank you

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
versión 3.xxxxx , jeje, ok

is that I have had the MiniDSP DDRC-24 and although it has four outputs, it only equalized two speakers, it did not equalize four.

Will the Flex model do it for four by joining each speaker with its subwoofer separately? and the SHD model has more quality? or is it the same? thank you

Look at photos of the Flex rear panel. It has four separate outputs. You can use them as follows:

1. Right speaker
2. Left speaker
3. Subwoofer 1
4. Subwoofer 2

I don’t think you will hear any difference in sound quality between the SHD and the Flex.

I have the SHD. If I had the choice again I would buy the Flex.

supersergios

1. Right speaker
2. Left speaker
3. Subwoofer 1
4. Subwoofer 2
minidsp-flex-audio-processor-dsp-balanced-dirac-live-sharc-adsp21489-xmos-bluetooth.jpg

I have the SHD. If I had the choice again I would buy the Flex.

When you pass the measurement, what appears on the computer? (in the Dirac program) two speakers and two subwoofers? or just two speakers? (in the DDCR-24 only two speakers appeared)

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Just two channels. Any adjustment you make to these two channels affect the subwoofers.

supersergios

Just two channels. Any adjustment you make to these two channels affect the subwoofers.

1. Right speaker
2. Left speaker
3. Subwoofer 1
4. Subwoofer 2
only two channels, that is to say that it is the same as the DDCR-24 . ok,

but I understand that if I put output 1 and 3 in the input ”in 1” and output 2 and 4 in the input “in 2”, I will have the complete calibration of the speaker plus subwoofer for each channel, and there will be a stereo system with a speaker + a subwoofer on each side, independent.
… but each subwoofer will be perfectly crossed with the loudspeaker regarding phase and delay.

Have I got it right? is that so?

D04091E1-8C77-4802-8D19-9C2B56775AFD.jpeg

Last edited:

supersergios

… but each subwoofer will be perfectly crossed with the loudspeaker regarding phase and delay.
This is the most important thing, if apart from the equalization of the pair, and it adjusts the phase and delay, uniting speaker and subwoofer in one piece (creating two pairs of perfect Stereo speakers),

then if this is so, I will buy the Mini DSP Flex

I do not understand this, it does not have 4 outputs,
I need to have 2 xlr outputs to the atavices and two other xlr outputs to the subwoofers, so that each speaker goes with its subwoofer so that it is a stereo system with the subwoofers also in stereo
Sorry, I did not explain correctly:
The SHD Studio has 2 digital outputs. One Digital output is stereo, so you have 2 dig outs = four outputs. But you have to buy another dac (could be a cheap $100 D10 Dac from topping). So the D90 goes to the main Speakers and the other DAC goes to the Sub. This is very flexible, as you can replace DACS in the long run....

Sorry, I did not explain correctly:
The SHD Studio has 2 digital outputs. One Digital output is stereo, so you have 2 dig outs = four outputs. But you have to buy another dac (could be a cheap $100 D10 Dac from topping). So the D90 goes to the main Speakers and the other DAC goes to the Sub. This is very flexible, as you can replace DACS in the long run....
You can also wait for the Flex Digital Only. Its the same as the Studio, without the streamer, and much cheaper (it has less processing power)

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

but I understand that if I put output 1 and 3 in the input ”in 1” and output 2 and 4 in the input “in 2”, I will have the complete calibration of the speaker plus subwoofer for each channel, and there will be a stereo system with a speaker + a subwoofer on each side, independent.

Correct. However, some people would recommend configuring the subwoofers in mono. Personally, I find one subwoofer sufficient

Can’t say 100% yes to this point. Maybe some other member can comment.

There are very good user manuals on the product page.

Have I got it right? is that so?

View attachment 188437
I prefer to have two subs in mono. So In1 and In2 both goes to 3 and 4 outs (all checked). I strongly reccomend use two subs and both receive L+R mono signal. It smooths out the Bass much better... Also put your subs Front and rear of the room in diagonal position.

supersergios

Having two subwoofers one on each side, configure them in mono? What's the point if you have two? I do not get it.
The best thing would be if they were in stereo so that they give the bass separately. if we put the two together in mono, we will have to adjust phases as well. and it is the most important thing. know if it adjusts phase and delay

(I cannot change the position of the subwoofers since it is not a dedicated room, it is a living room)

supersergios

You can also wait for the Flex Digital Only. Its the same as the Studio, without the streamer, and much cheaper (it has less processing power)
Could you give me more information about the "minidsp Flex Digital Only", I can't find anything.
If I only had the analog inputs, it would be worth it, I don't contemplate having two DACs, I see it as very complicated

Having two subwoofers one on each side, configure them in mono? What's the point if you have two? I do not get it.
The best thing would be if they were in stereo so that they give the bass separately. if we put the two together in mono, we will have to adjust phases as well. and it is the most important thing. know if it adjusts phase and delay

(I cannot change the position of the subwoofers since it is not a dedicated room, it is a living room)
I had the same misconception before. Bass is tricky!! If you send mono signal to both subs, you still be able to adjust the phase and delay of each sub separately. In minidsp phase and delay are controlled after the input, so no problems.
The advantages to have two subs reside os the ability to smooth the Bass frequencies at listening positions. With two subs, one helps another to get this. The greater amount of subs you put in the room, the better the Bass will be.
Regarding the signal in mono, Bass frequencies under 80hz are ominidiretional, you can’t localize it, also it’s easier to to integrate mono singnals because they are equal.

Could you give me more information about the "minidsp Flex Digital Only", I can't find anything.
If I only had the analog inputs, it would be worth it, I don't contemplate having two DACs, I see it as very complicated
It’s not complicated, the Bass for the subs can be a inexpensive one, Topping D10 will fit the bill!
Flex digital will be released in few months

supersergios

but the price of the SHD Studio is more expensive than the Flex, and you also have to buy another simple Dac

Top Bottom