• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

EB1000

I have a whole post on this thread on how it is possible integrating the SHD with an AVR. When running in HT, you fix the SHD's volume and make it a slave to the AVR. When running stereo, you can still use the AVR as the main processor, or use one of the digital inputs on the SHD to make it the main processor. I don't see how the NAD has an advantage.

I've read that post and also asked minidsp support. It is not possible to use the SHD as a streamer/preamp and as bass manager for the AVR. You cannot switch set its analog input to a fixed level. If you set its master volt to -10dB when watching a movie, you must remember to turn it down to a comfortable level before using it as a streamer...

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read that post and also asked minidsp support. It is not possible to use the SHD as a streamer/preamp and as bass manager for the AVR. You cannot switch set its analog input to a fixed level. If you set its master volt to -10dB when watching a movie, you must remember to turn it down to a comfortable level before using it as a streamer...

I don't think it is a good idea to place the SHD in the chain because it digitizes the analog signal and adds delay.
I've seen numbers in the 20ms range. A true HD bypass product adds no delay and provides unity gain with little or no degradation in SINAD.

- Rich

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think it is a good idea to place the SHD in the chain because it digitizes the analog signal and adds delay.
I've seen numbers in the 20ms range. A true HD bypass product is can provide no delay and unity gain with little or no degradation in SINAD.

- Rich
Agreed! I also use the SHD in combination with an AVR and bypass all SHD channels when I do 5.1 audio. Very happy with the results.

CumSum

You need to change your phrasing because you can't say it can't be done when I have gone and done it myself. Yes you have to be mindful of the volume set on the SHD when using it with an AVR and when using the SHD on it's own. It has a large screen and remote volume control so it is really not hard to adjust on the fly. Just fix the volume on the SHD and then use the volume on your AVR.

And with the 4 config slots, you have a lot of flexibility to configure one slot for use with an AVR and one slot for 2 channel music.

I've seen numbers in the 20ms range. A true HD bypass product adds no delay and provides unity gain with little or no degradation in SINAD.
The delay the SHD adds is 26ms without DIRAC enabled and 14ms with DIRAC enabled. If your AVR has 30ms or more of configurable delay, then you can time align everything perfectly. The A/D/A conversion isn't a big deal. I wish Amir tested the quality of the A/D conversion but audibly it is very hard to distinguish any differences.

The perfect solution is to buy an AVR with the configurability and functionality of a MiniDSP SHD, just with a lot more channels and so you don't need a 2 channel box in the chain. From what I have seen on the AVR market, the choices are scarce and expensive but they do exist.

Monoprice HTP-1 which is somewhat affordable and then offerings from Datasat (who designed the HTP-1) and Storm Audio. Personally if I ever get into HT the Monoprice is the only AVR I would consider from what I've seen so far.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The delay the SHD adds is 26ms without DIRAC enabled and 14ms with DIRAC enabled. If your AVR has 30ms or more of configurable delay, then you can time align everything perfectly. The A/D/A conversion isn't a big deal. I wish Amir tested the quality of the A/D conversion but audibly it is very hard to distinguish any differences.

Those delay numbers seem counter intuitive, where are they sourced?
I avoid A/D other than bass frequencies.

Does MiniDSP still offer a 4x2 DSP with balanced inputs?

- Rich

CumSum

Those delay numbers seem counter intuitive, where are they sourced?
I tested both the DDRC-24 and SHD with an external audio interface and a round trip latency program. I also performed another test using acoustic timing measurements in REW. I recorded a baseline using only the Motu M2. Then added the MiniDSP's inline with the M2, and then compared the difference in delays to find the delay of the MiniDSP's.

Both results matched up, for both products, for DIRAC enabled/disabled. It surprised me when enabling DIRAC lowered the latency. DIRAC filters must be uploaded to the config slot of the MiniDSP for the latency to actually change.

I just ran my DDRC-24 through my interface to double check my earlier findings, and the results are still identical. Here is the comparisons using the RTL tool.
MiniDSP_Delays.JPG

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the SHD without Dirac with no processing enabled, for example, after factory reset?

- Rich

CumSum

Is the SHD without Dirac with no processing enabled, for example, after factory reset?
I just tested this with a factory reset. I've also tested in the past with crossovers enabled to subs and speakers and the measured delays were still the same.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tested this with a factory reset. I've also tested in the past with crossovers enabled to subs and speakers and the measured delays were still the same.
The Dirac result is surprising. Thanks for testing.

- Rich

tw99

I had also noticed subjectively that latency seems lower with Dirac than with SHD PEQ. I get slight audio sync issues using TV with the latter only.

nothingman

And in another development, Volumio just published their Tidal Connect implementation today, so hopefully we see that on our SHD series devices before too long. It’s impressive that Volumio had no part in the launch at all and they delivered TC just a few weeks after a launch partner like Cambridge Audio did (what the heck took CA six months?).

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry Ive kind of lost track. Are people with neo3 able to use the usb to trigger power amps? If so might be worth selling my neo2 and getting a neo3

nothingman

Sorry Ive kind of lost track. Are people with neo3 able to use the usb to trigger power amps? If so might be worth selling my neo2 and getting a neo3

Yes. If you only need 5V then it’s just a matter of adding a mono jack to a standard USB power cable, or find the right step-up cable and replace the barrel with the mono jack. I have a post some ways back about what I used.

Sonnie

@amirm A simple question, is the update of MiniDSP SHD a firmware update or actual hardware update?
I'm obviously not Amirm, but that question has been answered in this thread. The hardware was updated/changed end of year/first of year (can't remember the exact date). If you go back a few pages, you can see the part that was changed, and it has no affect on the sound. The firmware and software have both been updated in both hardware versions (although they are not really what miniDSP label as "versions"). I believe the only difference from the previous to the current is the USB 5-volt power is constant on in the previous units, and turns on and off with the remote power on and off in the current model.

nothingman

And if they meant “update” as the difference between the 2018 measurements and the 2020 measurements, I believe the answer is hardware, not sure anyone knows where, and no one knows exactly when since the change happened discretely, but people more knowledgeable than me say it happened very shortly after Amir’s 2018 measurements. If you have a unit from anytime post mid-2019ish then pretty safe safe to say it matches the updated measurements. Tons of qualification and hearsay and conjecture, I know, but that’s life on an internet forum.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We know hardware change replaced the processor from NEO2 to NEE3 and power supply.
I am not sure why the SHD Volumio software had to fork but seems to be unified again and the Roon Ready support can be activated on the NEO3 units.

I think we are in the final stretch for Roon support.

- Rich

Top Bottom