• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

aschen

in about 1 in 100 remote presses my shd does something random. I.E push the volume up and it turns off dirac or changes preset number.

It worries me exactly 0% but I guess it is the nature for this sort of semi complicated low market size device.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some folks are reporting Roon support with the latest Volumio update.

I updated the XMOS firmware but Volumio still shows 1.073 and no updates available for the neo3 hardware. I was under the impression that MiniDSP was unifying the software builds the old and new hardware so this is a bit disconcerting.

- Rich

tw99

in about 1 in 100 remote presses my shd does something random. I.E push the volume up and it turns off dirac or changes preset number.

It worries me exactly 0% but I guess it is the nature for this sort of semi complicated low market size device.

That bug is (allegedly) fixed in the previous software update.

nothingman

That bug is (allegedly) fixed in the previous software update.

Yes, exactly. I worked with them on fixing this. @aschen make sure you update to at least v.1.28 firmware.

x_ivica

Is it any benefit regarding sound quality and preamp compare SHD with 4x10HD when use SPDIF/TOSLINK input feed from external streamer?
I know that SHD have more digital output, Dirac, network but talking only about sound quality and use both unit like preamp for digital input only.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it any benefit regarding sound quality and preamp compare SHD with 4x10HD when use SPDIF/TOSLINK input feed from external streamer?
I know that SHD have more digital output, Dirac, network but talking only about sound quality and use both unit like preamp for digital input only.

The SHD has better sound quality because of Dirac.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exclude Dirac only DAC, crossover, preamp functionality.

They're the same, but Dirac is not something you want to exclude. It will be better than any Room EQ you can do by yourself.

Also SHD has balanced outputs, which is very helpful.

whitfc

They're the same, but Dirac is not something you want to exclude. It will be better than any Room EQ you can do by yourself.

Also SHD has balanced outputs, which is very helpful.
Do that have the same DAC?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

When you say preamp what are you trying to accomplish? Source selection and volume control? Eq / tone control? Presumably 2 channel only?

They are really quite different products. Spec wise the SHD is quite a bit better but whether that is audible is questionable IMO. A good review of the 4X10HD can be found at the link below.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-4x10-hd

They use different DAC chips, 4X10HD uses a CS42528 and SHD uses an AK4490. I not sure how ASRC is done on the SHD (whether in the SHARC DSP itself or a separate chip) but the 4X10HD uses the DIGI-FP module which is based on the SRC4382. From a preamp perspective the display on the SHD with volume indication is a big advantage. Both have balanced outputs but the 4X10HD uses Phoenix blocks instead of XLRs which is a bit of a pain.

Michael

kokoon

Forum Donor
Just thought I'd clear it up here in this thread, for posterity: the two pairs of analog inputs (single-ended and balanced) are independently selectable as "RCA" and "XLR". I was unsure about this for a while, it looked like it's just one stereo input with two ways to hook it up. Anyways, I found the answer in official manual, plus I've confirmed it on my unit now that I own one.

Kaspers

Some folks are reporting Roon support with the latest Volumio update.

I updated the XMOS firmware but Volumio still shows 1.073 and no updates available for the neo3 hardware. I was under the impression that MiniDSP was unifying the software builds the old and new hardware so this is a bit disconcerting.

- Rich

Same here. Updated XMOS to FW 1.29, but still Volumio says 'You're already on the latest version' (I'm on 1.073).

Kaspers

Since I upgraded to FW 1.29, it seems I can't change the volume anymore with the Volumio web GUI. Same applies for the Volumio REST API :(. I'm still on Volumio 1.073.
@RichB, are you?

Sonnie

My volume is working, but only after upgrading to v1.94 Volumio build, which I was able to do via the Volumio web interface in the SHD.

This was in the old unit... not the new unit, so the update for Volumio may not be showing up in the new unit. I figured wasn't any reason for me to use it until they get the popping fixed.

Regards,
Sonnie

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I upgraded to FW 1.29, it seems I can't change the volume anymore with the Volumio web GUI. Same applies for the Volumio REST API :(. I'm still on Volumio 1.073.
@RichB, are you?

I cannot change the volume on the new (NEO3) hardware with the latest firmware.
Volumio is still showing 1.073 and no updates available.

I have done some listening tests using an XLR switch that allows quick switching between the SHD USB and Oppo UDP0205 USB.
A Roon grouped zone is streaming to both devices via Dietpi on a RPI3.
The sources switch instantaneous using the Kramer VS-4X.
The Oppo appears a bit more open on the top end varying the volume by ear but I'll need to voltage match.

I am waiting for the Volumio support to do more listening tests.

- Rich

Sonnie

Seems odd that the new hardware version does not show the Volumio update available. Have you asked miniDSP about it?

Regards,
Sonnie

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems odd that the new hardware version does not show the Volumio update available. Have you asked miniDSP about it?

Regards,
Sonnie

Apparently, a separate build is required. From the DevTeam post:
https://www.minidsp.com/forum/software-firmware-release/18731-new-volumio-build-v1-94#54556
We expect Volumio v1.94 to be available in the coming 24h on the Volumio servers and note that it is at this time for Neo2 build only (Black USB host connector/SHD unit purchased before Jan 2021). See below for Neo3 builds.

- Rich

Sonnie

Yep... I remember reading that now (I've been in information overload for several weeks here lately).

Maybe it won't be to much longer since they have the Neo2 out of the way now.

Regards,
Sonnie

Hi,

Just wanted to share something I found today that is pretty handy.
Perhaps I'm late to the party but will share the following, just in case.

Mathieu Rene's (mrene) minidsp-rs:
https://github.com/mrene/minidsp-rs

It makes a Raspberry Pi or X86 act sort of like a miniDSP Wi-DG.
Installation on a RPi4 was as simple as the following.

curl https://github.com/mrene/minidsp-rs/releases/download/v0.0.6/minidsp_0.0.6_armhf.deb >minidsp_0.0.6_armhf.deb
sudo apt install ./minidsp_0.0.6_armhf.deb
sudo systemctl enable minidsp.service
sync; sudo reboot

The "auto" discovery of the miniDSP SHD plugin did not discover
the service. However, typing in the IP address worked nicely.

There may be other interesting ways to use minidsp-rs. I have not
tried the Dirac Live application but suspect that, just as with the
Wi-DG, it is not able to take advantage and needs a physical USB
connection.

Have fun!
Feathers

Top Bottom