• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Aventador_SVJ

It would have to be a Roon/miniDSP compatibility issue due to the "latest" hardware/software updates, because I use the same Roon on my other SHD with no popping. I swapped them out yesterday, same config... back to back... one pops, the other does not.

Regards,
Sonnie

I think it is very likely that they can fix this with a firmware update, so fingers crossed this will be part of their February 2021 release.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like you've answered the question about the new firmware that will come out in 2 weeks, as I expect they will simply go back to FW 1.21 from a 'power use' perspective, which will result in no buzzing/whining and low power usage in standby, as you are now experiencing :)

The features that are enabled on my SHD are the same in all of my power tests (i.e. Dirac on in every case), so the increase in power usage is down to the power supply change.

Did you notice that the power supply board was a completely different colour and had different components?

It's hard to miss:

SHDPowerSupplyChanged.jpg

The new supply is installed and the old is on the table to the left. The are similarly sized :p

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would have to be a Roon/miniDSP compatibility issue due to the "latest" hardware/software updates, because I use the same Roon on my other SHD with no popping. I swapped them out yesterday, same config... back to back... one pops, the other does not.

Regards,
Sonnie

Are you using 1.073 on the old hardware?

I think it is very likely that they can fix this with a firmware update, so fingers crossed this will be part of their February 2021 release.

Fingers are crossed.

Here is what I think we know thus far:

- The new hardware is required though it could be related to different software versions
- It occurs only with 24 bit or high bit-rate (>44.1 kHz) tracks streamed by Roon via LAN
- It occurs with the Volumio 1.073 Roon Bridge or Roon Ready interfaces
- The same tracks played via the Volumio Qobuz app do not clock or pop

Reports form user with older hardware and newer Volumio 1.076 have no pops and clicks.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My original power supply looks like your left picture and the new one looks like the right picture.

The new and old connectors look the same, the rest, not so much :)
Now, we just have to get @Sonnie to crack his open and see what he's got.

- Rich

Sonnie

Are you using 1.073 on the old hardware?

- Rich
It is still the previous version... 1.062 I believe. The new unit is 1.073.
The new and old connectors look the same, the rest, not so much :)
Now, we just have to get @Sonnie to crack his open and see what he's got.

- Rich
I suspect I can do that... the new one is easily accessible right now.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the USB Trigger, I constructed a 3.5MM mono to USB female cable. I liked this configuration because there was no need to terminate the data lines and the female connector allows me to use standard USB-A to A cables get the right length.

Amazon.com: Maxmoral 10pcs USB 2.0 Connector Type A Female Port Socket with Black Plastic Cover DIY Connector: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Fancasee (10 Pack) Replacement 3.5mm Male Plug to Bare Wire Open End TS 2 Pole Mono 1/8" 3.5mm Plug Jack Connector Audio Cable Repair: Industrial & Scientific

After soldering the connections, UV glue was added to the end for stress relief. The SHD USB host properly triggers the AHB2 amp. x

TriggerCableUSBFemale.jpg

- Rich

Sonnie

What’s behind the update? How does the old and new compare? Similar presumably. I wonder if the latest measurements were taken on a model with the new power supply.
No audible differences that I can tell, but both measurements were tested with inaudible noise anyway, so I'm not sure anyone would be able to differentiate anything. The second unit tested was my first unit ordered in December, which has the previous power supply, hardware and software. The new unit has not been tested. I would say wait a few months, let them get the bugs worked out of the new software, get it Roon Ready, then have Amir test another unit.

Regards,
Sonnie

nothingman

The moment of truth! Please let us know about power draw and the ethernet issue. Does the unit stay connected to the network in standby, or does it need 15-30sec to reestablish like it does when coming out of full power off? I assume Volumio is shut down and inaccessible in standby, unlike the older hardware where you can always connect and start playing a track. Thanks for all the info so far too, folks!

nothingman

Did your “new” unit with the new power supply already installed also show up with v1.27?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Aventador_SVJ

The moment of truth! Please let us know about power draw and the ethernet issue. Does the unit stay connected to the network in standby, or does it need 15-30sec to reestablish like it does when coming out of full power off? I assume Volumio is shut down and inaccessible in standby, unlike the older hardware where you can always connect and start playing a track. Thanks for all the info so far too, folks!

New FW = 1.27.

Power 'standby' = 1.6w, Power 'on' = 15w [Test passed]

Buzzing = no buzzing apparent [Test passed]

Power on, then standby, back on. Ethernet connects - tried this a couple of times [Test passed]

Well done MiniDSP :)

Top Bottom