• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

whitfc

Has anyone seen a review of the MiniDSP SHD? Obviously this thread provides measurements but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about how it sounds?

Aventador_SVJ

Has anyone seen a review of the MiniDSP SHD? Obviously this thread provides measurements but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about how it sounds?

It has Dirac and potentially the best objective measurements available right now for a streamer/DSP/DAC/preamp.

It sounds wonderful as you would expect.

Great objective measurements = great sound quality.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning

At one level part of the point of the SHD and/or Dirac Live is that you can change how it sounds to suit your own preferences.

I like how mine sounds or I wouldn't use it. The ability of the SHD (and the cheaper 2x4 HD) to integrate a subwoofer into my music system has been a game changer for me. I say that as someone who has been an audiophile of sorts for about 25 years. Make of this what you will.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here you will find most will think there is correlation between measured performance and sound quality. The SHD is at that point where it is basically transparent. Sounds great as you would expect.

Sonnie

Here you will find most will think there is correlation between measured performance and sound quality. The SHD is at that point where it is basically transparent. Sounds great as you would expect.
Agree... can't really see where there is anything to review outside of what has been done. It has lots of features and it does not alter the sound (unless you want it to with Dirac Live), nor is there any audible noises/distortion from the unit, thus it does not hinder any of the finest details and clarity that you might enjoy in the finest of systems. Sure... elite reviewers could put their own spin on all of it, but the end result will be the same.

BeepPeep_61

I have inserted a Minidsp SDH in my system since October 2019 and in the configuration intended only for listening to 2 Ch music, it directly drives (through the XLR outputs), two McIntosh MC601 amplifiers, which are connected to a pair of B&W 802D2. Do you want to know how it sounds, or more precisely how it is able to make my room sound through the correction of the DIRAC system? Simply beautifully! When listening to some of the best Female Vocal Jazz albums, (a genre that I particularly love), you can catch the sound of the singer's tongue movements or the moment she inhales the air before leaving with a solo ... well it means that the your system is able to focus on sound details that are not always easy to introspect. Every now and then I try to turn off DIRAC and the sound slime in the bass area comes back to remind me that these were the best € 1500 spent (together with the money for the acoustic treatment of the room), in my 40 years of HiFi purchases. Before the SDH I had an OPPO Sonica dac (which I had modified in the power section and other fields) that in the medium-high part of the musical information, if it played on a par, but the cleanliness made by DIRAC in the low and medium-low area (in addition to the correction of the problems deriving from an asymmetry of construction of the listening environment) are unrivaled, the basses no longer have strange tails and both the instruments and the voice in those areas are more focused. A further fact convinced me of the goodness of the SDH minidsp ... the new acoustics encouraged me to listen to a large part of my music collection, discovering in many cases pleasant news !!
Impianto.jpg

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Forgive me if am asking a stupid question but how significant is the lack of MQA in the minDSP SHD. This is available in the NAD C658 but it would seem from the measurements that this has an inferior DAC to the SHD. So how does one judge which is more significant? Appreciate your thoughts.

When making the decision between 1) Having Dirac Live with traditional audio encoding formats vs. 2) Foregoing Dirac Live in order to use MQA is an easy decision as the vast audio quality improvements of Dirac Live far outperform any minuscule gains from MQA.

Furthermore the SHD process and outputs at 32 bit 96 kHz, so unless the original music was mastered above that rate there really is no MQA gain. Also at these rates other recording factors have a bigger influence over more data resolution. Finally Dirac diligently attempts to optimize the system room response in the time domain (impulse response), the definition this adds is amazing.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
If you are worried about returns, I think you can order from deercreekaudio. They charge a bit more but I believe they have a 30d return policy (please check their website).

I use the minDSP SHD with my TV using optical out, run Dirac, and while the sound from the speakers is slightly behind the TV inbuilt speakers, personally I don't find a disturbing lip sync issue if the TV speakers are turned off.

Deer Creek Audio has just received a newly manufactured batch of SHDs which shipped from miniDSP on February 1st 2021.

nothingman

My replacement power supply is an Alaska and scheduled delivery shows as 2/17.
Apparently, traveling by dogsled,

- Rich

Do I understand correctly that miniDSP is having people like you and @Aventador_SVJ with the brand new Neo3 hardware revision to go into the unit and replace the power supply yourselves?

I asked miniDSP about the new hardware and reports that the ethernet connection breaks in standby mode, requiring a power cycle to restore it. I wanted to understand if that was normal or a fluke. They replied, “We're looking into it but note that this current firmware stopping the standby mode is just a temporary solution while they wait for a new power supply (Already shipped last week). Standby mode will be re-enabled again and everybody will be happy forever after.”

So once you guys get your new power supplies installed, they will update the firmware so that the units go back to operating in a true low power mode. How many of these bad power supplies are out there though?

I take their reply generally to mean that ethernet may be behaving poorly in the “temporary solution” v1.25 but should be fine on the next revision.

@deercreekaudio can you confirm that your new units don’t have affected power supplies? We’re not talking about old units here with @RichB and @Aventador_SVJ . If I understand the timeline correctly those are from early January, purchased direct from miniDSP.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I understand correctly that miniDSP is having people like you and @Aventador_SVJ with the brand new Neo3 hardware revision to go into the unit and replace the power supply yourselves?

I asked miniDSP about the new hardware and reports that the ethernet connection breaks in standby mode, requiring a power cycle to restore it. I wanted to understand if that was normal or a fluke. They replied, “We're looking into it but note that this current firmware stopping the standby mode is just a temporary solution while they wait for a new power supply (Already shipped last week). Standby mode will be re-enabled again and everybody will be happy forever after.”

So once you guys get your new power supplies installed, they will update the firmware so that the units go back to operating in a true low power mode. How many of these bad power supplies are out there though?

I take their reply generally to mean that ethernet may be behaving poorly in the “temporary solution” v1.25 but should be fine on the next revision.

@deercreekaudio can you confirm that your new units don’t have affected power supplies? We’re not talking about old units here with @RichB and @Aventador_SVJ . If I understand the timeline correctly those are from early January, purchased direct from miniDSP.

I have the new hardware purchased directly from MiniDSP in January.
The MiniDSP power supply replacement is scheduled for delivery today.
Pressing my ear to the unit, it does emit a soft high-pitched whine only when in standby mode. Though, it is not completely silent when powered on. Lower power standby-mode is still enabled on my unit, and expect it to remain so after PS replacement.

I have been streaming simultaneously from to the SHD LAN/Roon Bridge and RPI-3/SHD USP. I have no issue with the LAN working after standby.

The main issue I experience is popping and crackling on the SHD LAN/Roon bridge with high bitrate sources (>44.1 kHz).
There are no issues with the RPI3 Roon Bridge via USB. I also notice a very different sound-stage comparing the USB and LAN Roon Bridge streaming. I have theorized that the LAN/Roon Bridge has a phase issue, just a guess of course.

EDIT: MiniDSP contacted me and send (free of charge) the replacement board. I am happy with the product and will be thrilled when the issues are resolved (I expect they will be).

- Rich

Last edited:

Sonnie

I have an old hardware unit and a new hardware unit. I am using Roon Ready (developer) and not Roon Bridge... on both units. LAN is my only source. I also get the popping noise with the new unit on anything 24bit or higher, but no issues on the older unit. I have a support ticket open with miniDSP right now for the new unit. In the meantime, I'm using the old unit, as I can't handle that popping noise.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have installed the new power supply and it is silent to standby-mode (no more whine).
Low power standby continues to work as expected.

The popping still occurs using LAN/Roon Bridge which is the same as @Sonnie reported with Roon Ready support.
Hopefully, this software issue but is easily reproduced. For some reason, when I play DSF (DSD) files, it cannot be ignored.

- Rich

Sonnie

At least you got the whining gone... that's good news.

I certainly hope the popping noise is software related. It's hard to know for sure since there was a hardware and software change.

Regards,
Sonnie

aschen

I spent a bit of time configuring my shd crossover, time delays and peq. Sounds fantastic even pre Dirac. I had never high passed my mains prior because my delicate snobofile sensibilities :) didn't want to send the mains through an AD-DA cycle on my old 2x4HD. I think that is the biggest benefit it is bringing to me so far.

Now onto messing with DIRAC. I noticed I use quite high volume settings listening to quieter sources (tiny desk concerts on youtube for example, a favorite source for me). I went as high as -6dB for loud listening. If I am reading about the dirac headroom issue it will be advisable to have more electrical gain before setting it up? I can flip the +6db switch on my bryston 4b3 for mains and fiddle with the volume knob on my sub amp (crown XLS).

I do like having the max volume setting below "fry my speakers" since my kids mess with my stereo sometimes, but I will up the gain by 6dB if it is the sensible thing to do.

Aventador_SVJ

I received my new power supply board today for my SHD and it looks quite a bit different to the previous one (quite a few components have changed).

With the latest firmware (Rev 1.15 / FW 1.25 / 26 Jan 2021 (minor)), it results in slightly more power when 'on' (15w) and in 'standby' (12.6w), than the old power supply (power 'on' = 13w, 'standby' = 10.8w)

MiniDSP have stated that they bring out some new firmware in 2 weeks to work with the new power supply, which will aim to bring down the standby power to similar levels as the previous firmware (Rev 1.15 / FW 1.21 - this caused pretty loud buzzing on my original power supply, Note: power 'on' = 13w, 'standby' = 1.3w).

It is too early to say whether the ethernet has has now gone away with the new power supply or whether it was just firmware related and the new firmware that will be released in a few weeks will sort this out.

Fingers crossed, the buzzing problem won't return, once the power in standby is reduced.

@Aventador_SVJ . If I understand the timeline correctly those are from early January, purchased direct from miniDSP.

Correct, I received mine in January and purchased directly from MiniDSP.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my new power supply board today for my SHD and it looks quite a bit different to the previous one (quite a few components have changed).

With the latest firmware (Rev 1.15 / FW 1.25 / 26 Jan 2021 (minor)), it results in slightly more power when 'on' (15w) and in 'standby' (12.6w), than the old power supply (power 'on' = 13w, 'standby' = 10.8w)

MiniDSP have stated that they bring out some new firmware in 2 weeks to work with the new power supply, which will aim to bring down the standby power to similar levels as the previous firmware (Rev 1.15 / FW 1.21 - this caused pretty loud buzzing on my original power supply, Note: power 'on' = 13w, 'standby' = 1.3w).

Fingers crossed, the buzzing won't return, once the power in standby is reduced.

Correct, I received mine in January and purchased directly from MiniDSP.

I have the original firmware and new power supply. Standby is 1 watt and powered on settled in at 13 watts, so no change for me. Power usage may depend on the features enabled.

- Rich

spendormania

I've got mine at the end of last year. Beeing a heavy MiniDSP user (I built several DIY-speakers using the OpenDRC DA8) for years, I didn't use Dirac so far as I am familiar to use the DSP. The SHD is a very good sounding unit, even the ADC is excellent. And, what's very important for me, the software is plug and play as usual at MiniDSP. No problems, no bugs, just working. Did I mention, that I would recommend the SHD? ;-)

Aventador_SVJ

I have the original firmware and new power supply. Standby is 1 watt and powered on settled in at 13 watts, so no change for me. Power usage may depend on the features enabled.

- Rich

Looks like you've answered the question about the new firmware that will come out in 2 weeks, as I expect they will simply go back to FW 1.21 from a 'power use' perspective, which will result in no buzzing/whining and low power usage in standby, as you are now experiencing :)

The features that are enabled on my SHD are the same in all of my power tests (i.e. Dirac on in every case), so the increase in power usage is down to the power supply change.

Did you notice that the power supply board was a completely different colour and had different components?

Aventador_SVJ

I have an old hardware unit and a new hardware unit. I am using Roon Ready (developer) and not Roon Bridge... on both units. LAN is my only source. I also get the popping noise with the new unit on anything 24bit or higher, but no issues on the older unit. I have a support ticket open with miniDSP right now for the new unit. In the meantime, I'm using the old unit, as I can't handle that popping noise.

I haven't heard any popping noise but I don't use Roon (despite me still being on a 3 month trial).

I use Tidal/NAS mainly with 24 bit music files and a Nad C298 power amp.

I wonder what is causing your issue......Roon?

Sonnie

I haven't heard any popping noise but I don't use Roon (despite me still being on a 3 month trial).

I use Tidal/NAS mainly with 24 bit music files and a Nad C298 power amp.

I wonder what is causing your issue......Roon?
It would have to be a Roon/miniDSP compatibility issue due to the "latest" hardware/software updates, because I use the same Roon on my other SHD with no popping. I swapped them out yesterday, same config... back to back... one pops, the other does not.

Regards,
Sonnie

Top Bottom