• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 75.9%

• Total voters

Paul Ebert

The Intel Celeron N5105 have decent performance and good reviews. I think it have more than enough power to do standard audio DSP.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/0...-mini-pc-tested-with-windows-11-ubuntu-22-04/

I want to test that mini PC, but I need to add the ADC process with an audio interface to use my turntable ... maybe the ADC + DSP at the same time is too much. If someone tested that configuration, is good to know about it.

Topping recently released a multichannel DAC at a decent price.
Thanks for the response. My use case also involves an ADC for turntable use, as well as some pretty extensive DSP due to anticipated 3-way open baffle design of the speakers, so I may need more processing power. How much is a good question. I should definitely do more research and, perhaps, start a separate thread.

The Topping DM7 (why is it not the DM8?) looks like an excellent choice, if more channels and cost than I need/like.

For the ADC, I'm thinking the E1DA Cosmos in one of the lower grades. Probably still overkill, but the performance / price strikes me as amazing.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the response. My use case also involves an ADC for turntable use, as well as some pretty extensive DSP due to anticipated 3-way open baffle design of the speakers, so I may need more processing power. How much is a good question. I should definitely do more research and, perhaps, start a separate thread.

The Topping DM7 (why is it not the DM8?) looks like an excellent choice, if more channels and cost than I need/like.

For the ADC, I'm thinking the E1DA Cosmos in one of the lower grades. Probably still overkill, but the performance / price strikes me as amazing.

Maybe we need a separate thread to discuss mini PC based flex alternatives. I think many people can find it useful.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Forgive if this has been mentioned, but I can't read 80pgs right now..

What is the lowest limit for setting DSP Center Frequencies in MiniDSP Flex?

Thank you!

Overseas

Major Contributor
Please someone confirm this: I look for a Dirac gadget to work as a 'black box', automatic, same as YPAO does on Yamaha. That is, with Yamaha I only work with the amp remote control and the enclosed mic, no laptop, no internet connection, no other software.
So, can I do Dirac automatic room correction with any Minidsp device, with no REW, no laptop, no internet connection?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please someone confirm this: I look for a Dirac gadget to work as a 'black box', automatic, same as YPAO does on Yamaha. That is, with Yamaha I only work with the amp remote control and the enclosed mic, no laptop, no internet connection, no other software.
So, can I do Dirac automatic room correction with any Minidsp device, with no REW, no laptop, no internet connection?
No, the DIRAC measurement and filter creation software runs on a laptop/computer.

Last edited:

Megaken

Well, not so fast. The thing still only has 16-bit equivalent performance despite the 110+ SINAD, and word on the street is the second pair of channels is significantly worse. It almost looks like companies also know that Amir only measures the first set of channels ;)
You mean outs 3 and 4 yield lower sound quality than outs 1 and 2?

Joffy1780

You mean outs 3 and 4 yield lower sound quality than outs 1 and 2?
It seems @voodooless may have missed this part of the review.
What actual benefit would Minidsp get from putting out an intentionally substandard product?

Edit: Apologies to @voodooless as it seems his question prompted the measurements of channels 3 and 4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-19-21-00-24-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-19-21-00-24-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Lucille Bluth

Looking to accomplish 2 channel room correction with Dirac via the Flex. AppleTV->HDMI Extractor->Flex->Amp->Speakers. Any fundamental issues with this setup?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, should be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking to accomplish 2 channel room correction with Dirac via the Flex. AppleTV->HDMI Extractor->Flex->Amp->Speakers. Any fundamental issues with this setup?
There will be a flex with HDMI input soon. That may save you some parts.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Would you guys consider the "balanced" TRS connections on the FLEX to be comparable to the genuine XLR output of the SHD??

I'm thinking of selling my SHD in favour of the balanced FLEX that's all for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.

Joffy1780

Would you guys consider the "balanced" TRS connections on the FLEX to be comparable to the genuine XLR output of the SHD??

I'm thinking of selling my SHD in favour of the balanced FLEX that's all for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.
Yes, the performance (allowing for run to run variations) of the balanced flex is more or less identical.
Not sure why you have the quotations around balanced, it is a genuine balance output.

Robocop

Yes definitely. My JLAudio F112 subs have both balanced inputs so I used TRS. Balanced Flex is excellent and I only use as an active crossover at the moment.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TRS is just a three terminal connector like XLR is. Why would you expect the performance to be different just because of the shape of the connector?

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Yes, the performance (allowing for run to run variations) of the balanced flex is more or less identical.
Not sure why you have the quotations around balanced, it is a genuine balance output.
I laughed at this as well, airquotes?! The pin out works the same, it’s balanced lol. Just get good TRS —> XLR cables and go about your merry way.

FWIW I went with these for output to my balanced preamp:

2 Units - 2 Foot - Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad Balanced XLR to TRS Patch Cable with Eminence Gold E311 Male XLR & E502 TRS Stereo Plugs - Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES https://a.co/d/hGey6Iq

And these from my phono preamp to the flex:

WORLDS BEST CABLES 4 Foot – TS to RCA Cable – Mogami 2964 Audio Interconnect Cable & Neutrik NP2X-B & Amphenol ACPL-CBK Gold Plugs - Custom Made https://a.co/d/iYiR8ZD

I’m a huge fan of “Worlds best cables” as a brand, prices are reasonable, and they use the best materials available. It’s basically impossible to find better OFC copper than Japanese Canare.

Sparky

Forum Donor
I laughed at this as well, airquotes?! The pin out works the same, it’s balanced lol. Just get good TRS —> XLR cables and go about your merry way.

FWIW I went with these for output to my balanced preamp:

2 Units - 2 Foot - Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad Balanced XLR to TRS Patch Cable with Eminence Gold E311 Male XLR & E502 TRS Stereo Plugs - Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES https://a.co/d/hGey6Iq

And these from my phono preamp to the flex:

WORLDS BEST CABLES 4 Foot – TS to RCA Cable – Mogami 2964 Audio Interconnect Cable & Neutrik NP2X-B & Amphenol ACPL-CBK Gold Plugs - Custom Made https://a.co/d/iYiR8ZD

I’m a huge fan of “Worlds best cables” as a brand, prices are reasonable, and they use the best materials available. It’s basically impossible to find better OFC copper than Japanese Canare.
I genuinely thought that TRS was not balanced so the air quotes were just me being unsure really. Glad you've corrected me and had a good laugh at my lack of knowledge! :D

The FLEX wouldn't work in my case anyway as it has no digital outputs (for my active monitors) so it looks like the SHD is here to stay!
The SHD is still a great product regardless of it's age and it has currently knocked my RME ADI2 PRO off it's perch it's that good.

RME ADI2 PRO is certainly technically superior and, without doubt retrieves more detail sonically but the sheer flexibility of the SHD just blows the RME away.
I'm either going to keep the RME as the preamp and set the SHD as the input switcher set to fixed volume of zero or just sell the RME. I haven't decided yet but with the RME costing the best part of £1700, can I really afford to keep that in the mix as just a digital passthrough............... :confused:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The FLEX wouldn't work in my case anyway as it has no digital outputs (for my active monitors) so it looks like the SHD is here to stay!
The flex digital is lower cost, and has all digital ouputs. However, it also lacks the analogue input if you need that.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Yeah, I said that......level matched, I hear subtle differences between the two devices. Shocking I know......

That's my personal and very subjective opinion.

Sparky

Forum Donor
The flex digital is lower cost, and has all digital ouputs. However, it also lacks the analogue input if you need that.
Unfortunately, I do need the analogue outputs for my subs. Never mind, it is what it is.

Top Bottom