• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Take for example this gentleman's system posted at Audigon.

That’s either an elaborate piss take or he is genuinely mentally ill.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Take for example this gentleman's system posted at Audigon. Amir could spend months testing all these resonance reducing materials plastered in every inch of the room:

I mean this sincerely and with no animus: I think that guy might have some form of mental illness.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s either an elaborate piss take or he is genuinely mentally ill.

I've interacted with him. He's sincere.

The dialogue pretty much mirrors the state of those rooms.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I've interacted with him. He's sincere.

I imagine he is sincere but he can still be mentally ill, my mate has bipolar disorder and was stopped whilst driving down to London with a 5 gallon jerry can of petrol to burn down the Houses of Parliament as he considers them all liars, he is very sincere and it could be argued that he was right in his assumption but he's still considered mentally ill.

Your guy above is one step away from collecting his piss in mason jars.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember reading a book on Jazz legends, and an old buddy of Stan Getz said about him "Oh Stan... yeah, he's a bunch of nice guys..." :) I had a boss that was like that, it was a nightmare and I was out of there real fast. Inevitably, eventually it goes really bad.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I imagine he is sincere but he can still be mentally ill,

Absolutely. His writing is on display in that link. One can infer what can be inferred.

Your guy above is one step away from collecting his piss in mason jars.

He says the photos are of his testing room, and that is actual main listening room looks a lot crazier. Maybe the piss jars are placed in the corners, or dangled by chains over the listening chair.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Awhile back, he posted to ASR under his own name and became very combative and used obscenities toward other members in a thread. I tried to find the thread but it appears every trace of his existence here has been expunged.
I got wacked by him several times, both here and at Stereophile/Analog Planet. One time for recommending someone to get the CD instead of the LP of Creedence Clearwater Revival at Woodstock, as "Woodstock" (the soundtrack) wasn't audiophile material.

For the record*, It appears his hearing abilities really suck.

* sorry about that.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Try >this< ? (and 4 posts down from it) :)
Again, all-caps is always a bad look, a major visual and social faux-pas.
I WAS CALLED A 'CROOK'.
SOMEONE LIED AND CLAIMED I MADE A SHADY "DEAL" WITH PAUL MCGOWAN
Who was here to respond "Calling someone a 'crook' is a bad look?
Who was here to respond "Are you sure Fremer made a "deal" with McGowan?
NO ONE WAS.
And you think using all caps is a "bad look"?
I think having libelous scumbags posting on this forum unchallenged is a far worse look.

THUS SPRACH MIKEY!!!

MattJ

Hey don't knock it until you've tried it! There are still audiophiles doing Important Research that Amir and co are missing!

Take for example this gentleman's system posted at Audigon. Amir could spend months testing all these resonance reducing materials plastered in every inch of the room:

What in the HELL am I looking at? I don't know whether to laugh or do yoga for an hour. Yikes.

aschen

It was over half my lifetime ago the last time I subscribed to stereophile.

Pre internet era, and pre technical education for me: I recall reviews from Jonathan skull were the worst/most absurd. The BS was apparent even haveing no technical basis.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey don't knock it until you've tried it! There are still audiophiles doing Important Research that Amir and co are missing!

Go hard or go home......

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yep. DSP is for the lazy. This guy is doing it old school analog DIY !
Ol' school diy means snorting solder fumes---Alchemists were the first tweakers.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
When I say member, I mean of the forum, of course.
I do note, wryly, that you didn't say "a big member"...
The only person that matters at Stereophile and the only reason I keep paying for subscription (Zinio) is...

the great @John Atkinson !
wait, wait -- what about @Kal Rubinson?!? :)

Oh -- sort of on topic:
HiFi has always been full of characters and Mr Fremer is a great character. He adds interest, debate, stirs up passion and anger along with inspiring many people to get back into records/vinyl.

I prefer my hifi writer characters more along the line of Herb Reichert. Or (even) the late Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg.

1655499115994.jpeg

L to R: Joseph Esmilla, the redoubtable Mr. Reichert, and Joe Roberts (of Sound Practices fame).

026_gizmokilt.jpg

"Gizmo" in his... umm... prime?

Oh, drat, @PatentLawyer beat me to it!
Ahh, well. 1) he's right and 2) having done all of this cutting, pasting, and formatting -- I'm gonna post this anyway. :D

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I always liked reading Art Dudley. Not just because I’m an avid fly fisherman living in Rochester NY. But he tended to not overly wax poetic. I think because I gave up on vinyl before being truly able to afford gear Fremers articles just weren’t relevant to me. Some of the stuff getting reviewed like the Continuim (spelling is probably wrong) turntable was just outrageous.

Newman

Major Contributor
I concur. And IMHO lambasting a vinyl advocate for being an extravagant subjectivist strikes me as silly.
That’s not why he is pilloried. It’s all his lies and misinformation woven into the advocacy. That and his terrible abuse in writing towards anyone who disagrees with him. Any other employee of Stereophile with ‘customer contact’ who said or wrote such abuse towards customers including readers, would be disciplined at most once, then sacked.

Top Bottom