• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blatant statement like this really hurt my feeling. LOL The ignorance alone makes my head hurt. Not to mention the BS statement made.
Some people defy reasoning from what that have read and take for gospel vs actually listen to and or have a system worth crowing
about.

I have listen to several analog systems, based around Turntables, Reel To Reel, CDs (analog signal out), and every digital system I could find.

They can all sound amazing or they can drive a sane person out of a room.

The fact is none of the digital systems I've listened to with solid state equipment is anywhere close to the same sound. Artifacts that are on
analog recording and played back by analog gear sounds different. The fact that a crew blasted on coke and smoke did a digital remake
doesn't mean the original guys that mixed had the same cocktail. You can say what you like, DIGITAL has a flavor and many older listeners
remember. The fact is the LOVE is gone.

Comparing your dongle to my turntable is like comparing a 64 VW to a Rolls-Royce in every single way. I'm not going to get into
direct head playback Reel to Reel. That would be like comparing a bicycle to the Aurora project.

You really shouldn't make blatant comments. It removes all doubts for a true lover of music and those that have actually experienced them.
When you have the systems side by side TODAY, make a statement like that. It's simply foolish arrogance, a lack of actually hearing a system
or pure jealousy. Heck it could be all three. I will emphasize this. Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in the mouth and LISTEN.

Measurement have a place, they have a purpose. Snide comments about preference does not. You think you're at Gene's place or AG?
I fired both of them for ignorance, never mind the arrogance, and user bashing. I think, substance abuse is the culprit at least that is
treatable. At AG the turnover is so great they start at square one about once a year.

This is the BEST site bar none. I was surprised at the collected demeanor of the SySop and the help he has. Wonderful.
Imaging a site you have to scroll a half a page to get by adds or can't post because you hit a Kardashian add.

Where do I send my support and who gets added to my trust? It's A Mcintosh trust, haters are not included. LOL

I have never cared for to put one product down to crow about another, BUT I can crawl in the pig pen with the best and sling under-breath
comments with the best worst of them. I try to chose a better way of expressing myself though. Manners count.

Did I mention cannibals are a dying bread, breed. No I'm not a vegetarian. I'm sure vegetarians taste good though. :)
Just thinkin' out loud.

Regards, Maybe.

Wanted to reply but this is what I only could come up with..
fwayri-laughing.gif

Peace.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I signed on the dotted line yesterday. My last retirement (Teamsters) in now a cash deposit. Three down none to go.
It's burning a hole in my pocket. I don't owe a dime and I have popsicles in the icebox. We are sittin' in tall cottin'
You can substitute sittin' for what ever you want.

Thanks I'll take you up on that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I signed on the dotted line yesterday. My last retirement (Teamsters) in now a cash deposit. Three down none to go.
It's burning a hole in my pocket. I don't owe a dime and I have popsicles in the icebox. We are sittin' in tall cottin'
You can substitute sittin' for what ever you want.

Thanks I'll take you up on that.
Congrats! :D I'm $2070 in debt and have things under control too. It's a decent feeling. :D

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Wanted to reply but this is what I only could come up with..
fwayri-laughing.gif

Peace.
I'm easy. LOL You'll figure it out. I feel a heavy wind coming on. Romp!!! I feel better. Another FART better than most people I've met lately. Oops
there goes another one. Did I say that out loud? :) Let the fart smelling begin.

"Peace" I was never a hippy and two finger is an insult. I have been accused of being an "Organic Mechanic" though. Puff Puff Pass!

Like I said, I've been screamed at by the best, as long as they are screaming I'm safe, it when it goes silent, I skedaddle.
Peg leg don't fail me now, turn the remote on the pacemaker UP.

Regards.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Comparing your dongle to my turntable is like comparing a 64 VW to a Rolls-Royce in every single way.
Just not in the way you think.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Archimago having some fun at Fremer’s ”fact-free bubble”:

They’re saying in the link that (the) MF wants people to listen to the worse file sorta makes sense.
It certainly helps his argument that the TT is superior, if he can kick the digital system in the kiwis first.

Last edited:

bkatbamna

Not really, he said in the review that the mqa version of the file was the best way to listen to that album(including vinyl).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not really, he said in the review that the mqa version of the file was the best way to listen to that album(including vinyl).
Only if your not interested in hearing the FR, etc as the producers intended.
MQA is distortion, plain and simple.

MarkS

Major Contributor
he said in the review that the mqa version of the file was the best way to listen to that album(including vinyl).
So Fremer now thinks digital (any digital) is better than vinyl??

ROFLMAO!!!

This is all fall-out from the MoFi fiasco, when Fremer inadvertently revealed that he could not hear the digital origin of some highly praised vinyl. Now he's in CYA mode, trying to assert that a digital file (sufficienty close to the sort that MoFi used) is in fact superior to plain vinyl. Of course he's gotten the actual facts of the matter completely wrong, because he's a moron.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Naw, just the reverse.
Nothing new there, he's been preaching that gospel for many years now.
Telling that lie has made massive amounts of money for him, Stereophile and a
very large group of the "cables matter" cult called the High End.
A very sad situation over all.

Newman

Major Contributor

ROFLMAO!!!

This is all fall-out from the MoFi fiasco, when Fremer inadvertently revealed that he could not hear the digital origin of some highly praised vinyl. Now he's in CYA mode, trying to assert that a digital file (sufficienty close to the sort that MoFi used) is in fact superior to plain vinyl. Of course he's gotten the actual facts of the matter completely wrong, because he's a moron.
LOL, then there was the Beatles Singles Collection Box Set on 45 rpm in 2019 fiasco, where he suspected (from a phrase in the release notes) it had been transferred to digital in the mastering process and promptly described it as "flat perspective, dried reverb that doesn't translate into space and worst of all: a lack of textures to vocals and especially drums: all attack, little sustain, weak decay. Single after single comparisons produced disappointment...that's what it sounds like (a transfer to digital)...If this was cut directly from tape, I'll eat the box with a knife and fork!", only to publish the review and then hear from the mastering crew that it was actually all-analog. He then re-wrote the review while half-eating humble pie, half-backtracking, half-standing by his initial sonic impressions, insisting the sh**-storm in the comments was an over-reaction...true fiasco.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL, then there was the Beatles Singles Collection Box Set on 45 rpm in 2019 fiasco, where he suspected (from a phrase in the release notes) it had been transferred to digital in the mastering process and promptly described it as "flat perspective, dried reverb that doesn't translate into space and worst of all: a lack of textures to vocals and especially drums: all attack, little sustain, weak decay. Single after single comparisons produced disappointment...that's what it sounds like (a transfer to digital)...If this was cut directly from tape, I'll eat the box with a knife and fork!", only to publish the review and then hear from the mastering crew that it was actually all-analog. He then re-wrote the review while half-eating humble pie, half-backtracking, half-standing by his initial sonic impressions, insisting the sh**-storm in the comments was an over-reaction...true fiasco.
So he has heard digital when it was all analog. And he loved analog when it was really digital. Sounds like an unreliable ear to me. :eek:

Newman

Major Contributor
...and if you look at the sonic description in the quote I gave above, it is very similar to his report [ASR link to our discussion] of his first encounter of digital playback (Avalon, early 1980s): no air around the instruments, lack of textures, instruments lacking sustain... (direct link to his description on YouTube)

Last edited:

noiseangel

So he has heard digital when it was all analog. And he loved analog when it was really digital. Sounds like an unreliable ear to me. :eek:
He's old and decrepit mate, hearing started to disappear years ago, brain is in the caboose behind it. Still he's an entertaining old......

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He's old and decrepit mate, hearing started to disappear years ago, brain is in the caboose behind it. Still he's an entertaining old......
If I can replace "entertaining", with "horrible", I'm right with you noise!

noiseangel

noiseangel

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, there are certainly many excellent foul mouthed comedians, back to Lenny Bruce no doubt.

Top Bottom