• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Micca MB42X Mark III Bookshelf Speaker Review

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they are the de facto budget recommendation on many sites and from reviewers.

Based on measurements or just subjective impression? I am just curious.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They simply are the most popular passive bookshelf <$100. And yes, YouTube reviews have a decent role in that.

Sure I get it. But it just gives the question: this speaker was not good, what are the options for the best in the price range?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Sure I get it. But it just gives the question: this speaker was not good, what are the options for the best in the price range?

I really get the feeling you didn't read my review.

I purchased this speaker to compare against my recently reviewed Neumi BS5 (link here).
Instead, I suggest you buy the Neumi BS5 if you are in the market for a sub-$100 bookshelf speaker. The Neumi is the same price as these Micca speakers and the Neumi performance is leagues better than the Micca.

I tested the Neumi last month because @MZKM asked about it in the "budget speakers" thread, which turned out to be quite a nice value speaker at $90/pair. Since the Micca MB42X costs the same price and has been the king-supreme for the last 3 or so years on all the YouTube outlets and Reddit, I figured it makes sense to test it and compare the two. So, here we are.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for this awesome and detailed review!

Can definitely confirm that these speakers sound really bad in stock form.

I'm not sure if it was 1% of the reason on Reddit or 10% of the reason, but one factor in their popularity was doubtless NoAudiophile's parametric EQ corrections that have turned some very bad, very cheap speakers into some quite tolerable ones.

I'm not so active on r/BudgetAudiophile anymore, but we used to recommend these Miccas (but only with the parametric EQ corrections) to folks who wanted the absolute cheapest desktop solution.

There are a lot of folks who don't want to spend more than $100 total and want something that can sit next to their computer monitor. That's a sizeable and (IMO) underserved market. For them, a pair of these Miccas plus a free solution like EqualizerAPO to run the pEQ corrections is still probably one of the better gateway drugs into the hobby. (Or, a budget minded second system for audiophile who wants something better than computer speakers in his office, etc)

Their performance, even when pEQ corrected, is not something that would set the average ASR member's heart on fire but I think it's tolerable. More importantly though - at that point they are a quantum leap above the speakers most non-audiophiles have heard in this price range.

It sounds like the Neumi have surpassed them, which is good news.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really get the feeling you didn't read my review.

I tested the Neumi last month because @MZKM asked about it in the "budget speakers" thread, which turned out to be quite a nice value speaker at $90/pair. Since the Micca MB42X costs the same price and has been the king-supreme for the last 3 or so years on all the YouTube outlets and Reddit, I figured it makes sense to test it and compare the two. So, here we are.

I understand that the basis was its popularity or subjective reviews from youtube and similar. I have not gone through all words and graphs but I've read it, and your review is excellent by all standards. My only question is whether all extensive work you did on a $90/pair speaker was required to conclude that it was garbage?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I understand that the basis was its popularity or subjective reviews from youtube and similar. I have not gone through all words and graphs but I've read it, and your review is excellent by all standards. My only question is whether all extensive work you did on a $90/pair speaker was required to conclude that it was garbage?

If one were to assume all $90 speakers were garbage and not even give them a chance, I wouldn't have discovered how great a performer the Neumi is. It was my time. I was curious. And it helps people understand what they are getting. Not just that it sucks. But why. And now we have the knowledge to understand how and why the Neumi is a better performer as well.

Besides, it's not like I only test budget speakers. I test what what piques my interest and what I think others will find useful. Matter of fact, I have some Selah Audio speakers upstairs that I just auditioned and will be reviewing soon. They retail for about $2600-2800.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It sounds like the Neumi have surpassed them, which is good news.

They absolutely have. No one should ever again recommend the Micca's when the Neumi is the same price and a far better performer subjectively and objectively.

Derekinla

I find it interesting that this is the first thorough, rigorous evaluation of the MB42X’s even though they have been out for a number of years. My rough impression is that most prominent YouTube reviews are positive reviews and it makes me wonder if there is a conflict of interest where prominent reviewers generally put out positive reviews to avoid disturbing the mutually beneficial relationship of getting free stuff from manufacturers to review? Rather than compromise one’s integrity and promote something that is bad, a reviewer working with industry can simply remain silent and choose to review another product.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I find it interesting that this is the first thorough, rigorous evaluation of the MB42X’s even though they have been out for a number of years. My rough impression is that most prominent YouTube reviews are positive reviews and it makes me wonder if there is a conflict of interest where prominent reviewers generally put out positive reviews to avoid disturbing the mutually beneficial relationship of getting free stuff from manufacturers to review? Rather than compromise one’s integrity and promote something that is bad, a reviewer working with industry can simply remain silent and choose to review another product.

gee do ya think? :eek:

I have these speakers in my bedroom. I thought they sounded "ok." However, I've had them for months and have only listened to them probably 30 minutes total in that time, and never at much above background volume. I'm planning to sell them and this review didn't do anything to change my mind, lol...

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If one were to assume all $90 speakers were garbage and not even give them a chance, I wouldn't have discovered how great a performer the Neumi is. It was my time. I was curious.
And it helps people understand what they are getting. Not just that it sucks. But why. And now we have the knowledge to understand how and why the Neumi is a better performer as well.

Besides, it's not like I only test budget speakers. I test what what piques my interest and what I think others will find useful. Matter of fact, I have some Selah Audio speakers upstairs that I just auditioned and will be reviewing soon. They retail for about $2600-2800.

I get all that but If you gave it 20 minutes listening, would you still think it was worth the effort to measure it? Just curious (again).

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I get all that but If you gave it 20 minutes listening, would you still think it was worth the effort to measure it? Just curious (again).

"I listened to these speakers and made my subjective notes before I started measuring objectively. I did not want my knowledge of the measurements to influence my subjective opinion. This is important because I want to try to correlate the objective data with what I hear in my listening space in order to determine the validity of the measurement process. I try to do a few listening sessions over a couple days so I can give my ears a break and come back “fresh”. "

Does that answer your question?

Not sure what the issue is. Frankly, I find it really interesting to see how these budget speakers actually measure. I'd even be interested in seeing how some popular bluetooth speakers measure.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"I listened to these speakers and made my subjective notes before I started measuring objectively. I did not want my knowledge of the measurements to influence my subjective opinion. This is important because I want to try to correlate the objective data with what I hear in my listening space in order to determine the validity of the measurement process. I try to do a few listening sessions over a couple days so I can give my ears a break and come back “fresh”. "

Does that answer your question?

Not sure what the issue is. Frankly, I find it really interesting to see how these budget speakers actually measure. I'd even be interested in seeing how some popular bluetooth speakers measure.

Don't get this wrong. I am just wondering if you are hearing a poor speaker and confirm that with initial meauserments, this should be presented. I personally would not pursue any more energy or further measurements, because I don't know what the point of that would be.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Don't get this wrong. I am just wondering if you are hearing a poor speaker and confirm that with initial meauserments, this should be presented. I personally would not pursue any more energy or further measurements, because I don't know what the point of that would be.

I get it. You wouldn’t have wasted your time.
I did. So no one else will have to.
/

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get it. You wouldn’t have wasted your time.
I did. So no one else will have to.
/

It is your choice of course. Given you excellent measurements and hard work I would (personally) pursue further work when the initial listening and measurements look promising.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Your thinking makes no sense whatsoever. Once it's been undertaken to do an analysis of a set of speakers (or of anything really), you don't stop the process at 10% just because you decide the product doesn't warrant further analysis (unless of course you're the average youtube reviewer lol). If the subjective listening session left him thinking "these speakers are awesome!" should he then just stop and post a review stating "I was going to do the full measurement thing on these speakers but man, I listened to them and they sound too good so I'm not going to bother. Just trust me, they are great!" Doing so opens up a whole litany of potential accusations of bias whether the subjective impressions are positive or negative. "Well, you should have done the full measurements because these speakers are good and it's obvious you just have a bias against budget speakers!"

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your thinking makes no sense whatsoever. Once it's been undertaken to do an analysis of a set of speakers (or of anything really), you don't stop the process at 10% just because you decide the product doesn't warrant further analysis (unless of course you're the average youtube reviewer lol). If the subjective listening session left him thinking "these speakers are awesome!" should he then just stop and post a review stating "I was going to do the full measurement thing on these speakers but man, I listened to them and they sound too good so I'm not going to bother. Just trust me, they are great!" Doing so opens up a whole litany of potential accusations of bias whether the subjective impressions are positive or negative. "Well, you should have done the full measurements because these speakers are good and it's obvious you just have a bias against budget speakers!"

There is a spin analys which by itself is an extensiva set of measurement that speaks about the performance. If that shows poor performance and listening confirms that, I would not continue further. But that is me. ( I am of not talking about subjective youtube or What Hifi reviews here.)

Derekinla

At $89, the Neumi BS5 is close to the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR in price as the Pioneer's have been known to go below $100 from time to time. They were recently avail for $79 a month ago. At the $90'ish dollar price point, is the Pioneer better than the BS5?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
All youtube non-testing speaker reviews are a complete waste of time and a scam. They listen and report what they heard. So, junk speakers get great reviews. Decent speakers get mediocre reviews. If the speakers are not tested then you CAN"T do a review period, end of story. Well, unless you are talking about HUGE differences like a Martin Logan ESL vs a 4 inch Pyle cube. Then many reviewers play music in their reviews. That frosts my boys in that you are listening to the music using your same old system that colors over the differences. It is unbelievable how idiotic most audio people and reviewers can be. The real problem is when our technical reviewers like Erin and Audioholics do videos with guys who do not have any test gear at all, thereby giving the scam testers some legitimacy. Ok, I will go calm down now.

Top Bottom