• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring your own electronics

Jbrunwa

Ok, I have basic analog electronics theory having been a ham radio operator some years ago, some experience with Room EQ Wizard measuring speakers, a Fluke multimeter, and a Focusrite Scarlett interface. Can someone point me to any tutorials on measuring preamps and AVRs, or is it as simple as gettin my feet wet trying to duplicate the parameter settings, input and output voltages we see on ASR graphs to the best of our ability

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The REW forums have some good tutorials for various purposes. With your ham background probably for simpler stuff anyway just as easy as getting your feet wet doing the obvious things.

You also might initially try RMAA Rightmark Audio Analyzer.

It sort of does it all for you. There are things I don't like about it, and for the most precision I think REW will do you better.

davidandrewmiller10

The standard units of electrical measurement used for the expression of voltage, current and resistance are the Volt [ V ], Ampere [ A ] and Ohm [ Ω ] respectively.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You can make some measurements with an oscilloscope, multimeter, and signal generator (or you can use the computer as an audio generator) but in general it takes specialized equipment to get usable-meaningful results, especially to measure distortion.

Amir uses some kind of Audio Precision analyzer.

The standard units of electrical measurement used for the expression of voltage, current and resistance are the Volt [ V ], Ampere [ A ] and Ohm [ Ω ] respectively.
He has to know that since he had a ham radio license. ;)

Lambda

Major Contributor
but in general it takes specialized equipment to get usable-meaningful results, especially to measure distortion.
No absolutely not.
You can do a lot with Just an audio interface. and free software like REW. Baudline and jaaa.

a Fluke multimeter, and a Focusrite Scarlett interface. Can someone point me to any tutorials on measuring preamps and AVRs, or is it as simple as gettin my feet wet trying to duplicate the parameter settings, input and output voltages we see on ASR graphs to the best of our ability
Calibrate your output with your Multi meter.
Calibrate your input with your now calibrated output.

Now have fun with REW. Baudline, jaaa, audacity and maybe Pure data and Gnu radio.
I would recommend to get a view known components. Attenuates and filter.

Easy to make an analog passive notch filter. measure your filter. make an EQ from your filter.
So you can measur THD+N well below the limit of your interface.

Last edited:
OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

For some reason I saw a high noise floor with the Scarlett when measuring the AVR. It wasn’t just a ground loop. Maybe it was defective. I returned it and bought a MOTU M4 which has a very low noise floor in the same configuration.

Lambda

Major Contributor
If you measure power amplifiers be very cautions and aware of your ground and signal paths!
You can blow up your interface and or USB/PC fast if you make a mistake.

As safety procession avoid having an low impedance path to you interface (including ground!).
You don’t need it anyways since your interface has very high input impedance.
Have some Capacitor in line to avoid DC.

Maybe get an transformer bases true isolated DI-Box
Only costs ~20$
It will causes some Frequency response change (you can calibrate out)
and some extra distortion, but this won’t matter for noises measurements.

Top Bottom