• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Singxer SA-1 Headphone Amp(Preview)

godmax

Has anyone measured the power consumption in standby mode? It's the same price as the A90, and the functionality looks to be right about the same. Also, any thoughts on the device working as a preamp?
The off switch in the front does not power-off everything on the SA-1. I just measured with switch on the back "on" and switch at front in "off" position: 2,7W are consumed regardless, so its some hidden standby mode.

(in comparison: 11W when "on" with or without load driven)

Last edited:

aandres_gm

The off switch in the front does not power-off everything on the SA-1. I just measured with switch on the back "on" and switch at front in "off" position: 2,7W are consumed regardless, so its some hidden standby mode.

(in comparison: 11W when "on" with or without load driven)
That's exactly the info I needed, thanks!

Edit: The single ended performance appears to be different to the "balanced" one, although both seem to be very good. If I'm not mistaken, the performance on the A90 shows a similar difference. Now, what I don't understand is whether this performance delta shows up when the input is RCA/XLR, or when the output device is connected by XLR/6,35mm. Could anyone clear this up for me? Both cases are less than ideal, sure, but I wouldn't mind a lot if the performance drop came from using a single ended input (as the device I'd connect would be a turntable); however, if this issue comes from using single ended headphones, then that would suck, as I have a couple of those that can't be converted.

Last edited:

godmax

Edit: The single ended performance appears to be different to the "balanced" one, although both seem to be very good. If I'm not mistaken, the performance on the A90 shows a similar difference. Now, what I don't understand is whether this performance delta shows up when the input is RCA/XLR, or when the output device is connected by XLR/6,35mm. Could anyone clear this up for me? Both cases are less than ideal, sure, but I wouldn't mind a lot if the performance drop came from using a single ended input (as the device I'd connect would be a turntable); however, if this issue comes from using single ended headphones, then that would suck, as I have a couple of those that can't be converted.
Using XLR in and XLR/4.4mm headphone out usually the best option, especially when the amp itself has fully differential architecture internally. But that doesn't imply that the single ended input/output is inferior in general. What kind of difference you experience on the SA-1 besides the volume level difference? I did personally operate the same DAC either connected to XLR and RCA and could not detect any difference besides volume level using headphones connected by XLR/4.4mm (with SE out using the same headphone there might be slight hint of degradation with the same cable by Hart Audio Cables modular system, where you can just exchange the interconnect from XLR to SE, but might be also due to the interconnect or not 100% level matched)

Last edited:

heraldo_jones

Hello fam, how much power does it offer at 300ohm? Anyone using it with Sennheiser HD650/6xx?

aandres_gm

Using XLR in and XLR/4.4mm headphone out usually the best option, especially when the amp itself has fully differential architecture internally. But that doesn't imply that the single ended input/output is inferior in general. What kind of difference you experience on the SA-1 besides the volume level difference? I did personally operate the same DAC either connected to XLR and RCA and could not detect any difference besides volume level using headphones connected by XLR/4.4mm (with SE out using the same headphone there might be slight hint of degradation with the same cable by Hart Audio Cables modular system, where you can just exchange the interconnect from XLR to SE, but might be also due to the interconnect or not 100% level matched)
Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the SE output had a higher noise floor/less dynamic range. I'm fully aware this may not be perceivable, but we're in ASR, so I like comparing numbers :p

The decision is coming down to the A90 or the SA-1, to be coupled with a balanced dac (either D30 Pro or SU-9, depending on the price and availability at the time of purchase). Pretty sure I'd be more than happy with either one, at least performance wise, so I'm basically nitpicking, looking at usability, etc.

godmax

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the SE output had a higher noise floor/less dynamic range. I'm fully aware this may not be perceivable, but we're in ASR, so I like comparing numbers :p

The decision is coming down to the A90 or the SA-1, to be coupled with a balanced dac (either D30 Pro or SU-9, depending on the price and availability at the time of purchase). Pretty sure I'd be more than happy with either one, at least performance wise, so I'm basically nitpicking, looking at usability, etc.
Yes, the SE output does not measure as good as the XLR/4.4mm and worse than A90 SE output. So if you use primarily SE headphones, the A90 might be the „better“ option(or A30 Pro). I only had the A90 a few days, but did not like the play/wobbliness of the volume knob, maybe this improved in later batches. Other than that the A90 had a better gain switch placement and real power off switch (I think) in front. Even with all the little quirks, I still personally prefer the SA-1, since I use it 90% of the time balanced. But you can’t go wrong with either amplifier.

aandres_gm

Yes, the SE output does not measure as good as the XLR/4.4mm and worse than A90 SE output. So if you use primarily SE headphones, the A90 might be the „better“ option(or A30 Pro). I only had the A90 a few days, but did not like the play/wobbliness of the volume knob, maybe this improved in later batches. Other than that the A90 had a better gain switch placement and real power off switch (I think) in front. Even with all the little quirks, I still personally prefer the SA-1, since I use it 90% of the time balanced. But you can’t go wrong with either amplifier.
Good to hear your opinion. The A30 Pro doesn't have the preamp functionality I'd like to have for expandability's sake, so I discarded it.

Where did you buy your SA-1, btw? I don't see it for sale anywhere over here.

Last edited:

godmax

Where did you buy your SA-1, btw? I don't see it for sale anywhere over here.
I did order the SA-1 directly from China at HiFiGo (they also offer tax & duty paid shipping to EU, mine did take 2 weeks to arrive), both EU dealers seem to be out of stock currently.

raif71

Major Contributor
Hello fam, how much power does it offer at 300ohm? Anyone using it with Sennheiser HD650/6xx?
I don't have the power numbers but using it with hd600/6xx/800, I'm at 12 o'clock using low gain. If the file tracks are slow like classical music, I would be at 5 o'clock on the volume using xlr/4.4mm. I haven't tried high gain yet as sometimes I use iem and with that I'm around 9 oclock on low gain and at SE output. Quite a hassle to turn the unit over just for gain change so I just leave it at low though I have acquired 4 jumper caps to try out the DC mod.

CrankyRat

Forum Donor
But the singxer doesn't add breathyness to everything. Not sure what causes this in the A90. Maybe the Singxer's higher input impedance plays nicer with more DACs, including the SGD1 i used to listen to both. My SGD1 has an output impedance of 200 ohms, and the topping a90 barely reaches the rule of thumb of a 10 to 1 ratio with its 2000 ohm input impedance, whereas the singxer reaches it a little more comfortably with its input impedance (according to this thread) being 20,000 ohms. But i don't have an APx555 so ultimately i can't figure out what is causing this difference.

breathyness? That's a new new descriptor and I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps a little elaboration? I would never use the word but, as I interpret it, that's not even remotely a descriptor for the A90 I have. With everything new one hears a difference even when there isn't any, listen again 6 months from now when your bored with the new thing.

Pillars

Why hasn't this amp gotten more attention here and still no Amir review? It's a total slammer!

NeuroAudio

How do you open the case? I removed 5 long screws from the bottom, but the top doesn't want to come off.:oops:

Top Bottom