• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but I didn't like the sound. It really didn't sound much better than the Topping D50. It did have a slightly wider soundstage than the D50 and Transporter but IMO it seemed a tad too wide, particularly listening to vinyl rips, and vinyl (played on a high end system) usually has a wider soundstage than CD's. Yes, I level matched and my bias was for the ADI-2. (Really wanted to give the Transporter the heave-ho)
I don't know what is concrete about what you say regarding vinyl soundstage. Especially vinyl rip, which is nonsense to me...

How did you level matched the ADI-2 DAC and the D50? What was the Ref Level?

@Purité Audio is also saying the ADI-2 DAC is sold out?!
Having said that the DAC-2 is temporarily out of stock because RMe have sold out, more next month.
https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/rme
@MC_RME, any thoughts?

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Recently updated my dedicated Digione coax streamer from a Pi 3B+ to Pi 4. Since the Pi 4 has a real USB controller chip on PCIE, I thought I’d give it a spin with the RME. No issues with native DSD via stock raspbian. Also the ~$100 Hifime High-Speed USB Isolator (amzn: B07L4CQVS7) works fine with the RME on USB2 if galvanic isolation is your thing.

That is interesting to hear. I tried the Hifime when it came out, but it completely failed. This was my statement in the RME forum, dated 21 August 2018:

-----------------
And a word of warning: there is a new USB 2 isolator available from HiFime, the cheapest one ever offered:

https://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps

I have this latest version (got it 2 weeks ago) and it sucks big time. It was clear that it will not be fully transparent (hub), but it does not even work as expected. ADI-2 Pro and DAC (isochronous transmission): the USB error counter in the Settings dialog counts up constantly, and there is an audible drop-out with every count. Fireface UCX (interrupt transmission): Audio output only for half a second every second, no USB errors shown.

Additionally the USB output voltage is 5.57V unloaded and still 5.47V when connecting a non-bus powered unit. That is much too high, USB spec allows 5.25V max. This device should have never started to ship.
--------------

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

please wait for our official press release on Monday. Units will be available again before the end of November.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ADI-2-DAC-r.png

Well, there's officially a new version of the ADI-2 DAC, with AK4493 and new remote:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

As an ADI-2 DAC owner, I have to admit I'm kind of a bit dispointed... The name of the product doesn't even change and that will be a bit unclear for people... Unless the original ADI-2 DAC is definitely sold out and all units in stock will be new revisions.

20191112_000009.jpg

@MC_RME, Honestly, I don't really care for the 4493 and potentially 5db improved SINAD... But is there any plan to upgrade (let's be crazy, for free?) the new remote for ADI-2 DAC owners?

Last edited:

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Note for owners of the previous remote
: the new MRC is also available separately as an accessory. It can be used with all ADI-2 DACs, even older ones, if they are equipped with the latest firmware (at least version FPGA 27, DSP 33).

Where can I buy the new remote - and for how much? :D

Bliman

View attachment 38558

Well, there's officially a new version of the ADI-2 DAC, with AK4493 and new remote:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

As an ADI-2 DAC owner, I have to admit I'm kind of a bit dispointed... The name of the product doesn't even change and that will be a bit unclear for people... Unless the original ADI-2 DAC is definitely sold out and all units in stock will be new revisions.

View attachment 38557

@MC_RME, Honestly, I don't really care for the 4493 and potentially 5db improved SINAD... But is there any plan to upgrade (let's be crazy, for free?) the new remote for ADI-2 DAC owners?
Oh, a new version. My hesitating has paid of :)

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I guess this little improvement (only 4490 turned to 4493) is due to the 4490 being out of production and replaced by the 4493 revision?

As far as I'm concerned, I would like to get one for free, naively...

Of course I wouldn't mind as well! :p:p

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bliman

And if those measurements are right then the AK4499 doesn't matter. The new revision probably doesn't matter also besides the remote but it is nice to know you have something on the cutting edge.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I don't think any original owner needs to feel unhappy. I highly doubt one can hear the difference.

The most significant change is the remote. But one can either buy the new remote from RME or use Logitech Harmony remote after firmware update to get the improved user experience.

I would applaud @MC_RME for providing all these new functions through firmware updates. It is excellent after-sale service.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Speaking of measurements, here are RME's own (from the manual).
Screenshot%202019-11-11%20at%2021.27.47.png
These measurements are very close to the DX7 Pro. I'm sure the difference is inaudible, but this brings the ADI-2 DAC even further up the DAC performance list. All the more reason why I'm saving up for one.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of measurements, here are RME's own (from the manual).
Screenshot%202019-11-11%20at%2021.27.47.png
And the old one to compare:

Screenshot_20191112-090418_Drive.jpg

Huge improvement in THD and SINAD improves from 111db to 116db. No doubt this won't be audible, but again, RME comes closer to SOTA performance with a low-end chip. Can't wait to see what they may accomplish with top of the line AK4499/ES9038RPO.

PPP

The weird thing is ak4493 has a -113db thd+n, only slightly better than ak4490's -112db.
How can RME beat the specsheet?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The weird thing is ak4493 has a -113db thd+n, only slightly better than ak4490's -112db.
How can RME beat the specsheet?
Don't have a clue how they managed to get this low. The ADI-2 DAC is still the best measuring AK4490 implementation to my knowledge. RME is one of the few manufacturers who is able to reach the reference performance of DAC chips.

PPP

Don't have a clue how they managed to get this low. The ADI-2 DAC is still the best measuring AK4490 implementation to my knowledge. RME is one of the few manufacturers who is able to reach the reference performance of DAC chips.
It make sense in the AK4490 case that the device reached optimal spec sheet performance (-112db thd+n, 120db SNR). It means all other circuits, such as output stage, headphone amp, etc., have almost no noise/distortion, compare to the noise/distortion produced by the chip.
However I could not understand how do they beat the spec sheet in ak4493 case (spec sheet -113db thd+n, 123db SNR, RME -117db thd+n, 123db SNR).

Top Bottom