• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer / DAC combo with PEQ and Loudness

Nutul

I think I found your thread today on moode audio forum.
I didn't understand why there is such a problem with this integration. Architecture of moode is a reason ?
The architecture of librespot, maybe?
If, OTOH, you refer of the librespot Java implementation, with API and the like, well, Java is too heavy and too much a burden to maintain on a player, just to show the album art of SPotify, which has its advantages only if you use an attached display...

OP
M

maver1ck

I wanted to have a control from attached screen. Not only preview.
But I'm still experimenting.
Today part 2: adding DAC (Topping D10s), CamillaDSP and checking volume control (especially with loudness enabled).
Tomorrow part 3: adding remote (via flirc usb dongle)

Last edited:

Gyosa1

Hi,
I spend a lot of time searching the forum and I didn't find the answer.

Is there any Streamer / DAC combo on the market that has:
- Parametric EQ (preferable with at least 5 slots and separate L/R configuration)
- RME ADI-2 like automatic Loudness ?
- 12V trigger
- measures well by the means of this forum

Generally speaking I'm looking for RME ADI-2 with built-in streamer :)

Theoretically I can use WiiM Pro + RME ADI-2 combo via optical link, but main problem is volume control vs loudness.
WiiM volume control should be disabled in such configuration and then I'm loosing ability to control volume from mobile phone.
The new Eversolo A-8 has PEQ and Loudness, but I didn't find information if there is separation in channel and if loudness is automatically switched.
(EDIT: based on information from their forum it's not)

Any hints ?
I have an A8 and love it .

bk

OP
M

maver1ck

Part 2 :)

D10s works without problem.

Volume control is more complicated.
I was using HW mixer. Software mixer is killing volumio (or I'm doing something wrong)
It is not using CamillaDSP volume control so it can’t properly apply loudness filter.
The only solution is to use Loudness option from FusionDSP (which dynamically creates filters in CamillaDSP based on main volume)

Ads are quite easy to remove but I don't want to share details here.

Overall most of the options works properly.

@Nutul
Do you know how volume control is solved in Moode ? (when using CamillaDSP ?)

Nutul

@Nutul
Do you know how volume control is solved in Moode ? (when using CamillaDSP ?)
What do you mean with "solved"?
moOde offers 4 types of volume:
1. software (through ALSA - for all DACs)
2. hardware (controlling the DAC - valid only for HAT DACs)
3. software (through CamillaDSP - for all DACs)
4. fixed at 0dB (tobe controlled outside the scope of moOde, e.g. by a volume knob on the DAC - for all DACs)

Nutul

This was my intention.
However I'll try to check if Hardware volume control can be use with CamillaDSP fader.
I cannot comment; my knowledge here is limited. Thou, remember, harware volume can be applied only to HAT DACs.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Eversolo streamers now include a 10 band PEQ:

OP
M

maver1ck

I cannot comment; my knowledge here is limited. Thou, remember, harware volume can be applied only to HAT DACs.
I'm using hardware volume with USB DAC (Topping D10s). So I disagree.

OP
M

maver1ck

Eversolo streamers now include a 10 band PEQ:

Yes. But it still lacks RME ADI like Loudness.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Yes. But it still lacks RME ADI like Loudness.
Unfortunately, I think the loudness, and the way they've implemented it, is fairly unique to RME and there are a lot of other features I haven't seen much elsewhere, like auto reference, and you don't see crossfeed often either. :confused:

OP
M

maver1ck

That's the reason what I wrote in first post.
I'm looking for RME ADI-2 with integrated streamer :)

CamillaDSP has same loudness implementation so that's the reason I'm looking on RPi based systems.
But I find them (at least Volumio) very unreliable.

Nutul

I'm using hardware volume with USB DAC (Topping D10s). So I disagree.
Can you share some details? Using hardware volume control over, IME, USB would require a driver to know the commands to send to the DAC...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

CamillaDSP has same loudness implementation so that's the reason I'm looking on RPi based systems.
Wiim and RME, if you sit them next to each other…
Keith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I use ROPIEE installed on a Raspberry Pi with USB out to RME DAC. Wiim would also do it. ROPIEE gives you various endpoint options - Roon, Squeezeplay, DLNA, PlexAmp, Spotify. I use Roon and Airplay myself. It worked absolutely seamlessly until the last version of ROPIEEE with Airplay 2 support. Now there are occasional protocol-switching issues (when I take over the endpoint with Roon after using it with Airplay). Nothing huge. Hope he fixes it.

Wiim can do most of this stuff PLUS Chromecast. I'll probably switch at some point.

If you are using the RME's loudness, you really have to use the RME's volume (they are interconnected), so that takes you out of Roon or your streaming software to the RME's remote control.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you share some details? Using hardware volume control over, IME, USB would require a driver to know the commands to send to the DAC...
Volume feature (among other features) is a standard part of UAC. The actual commands sent to the DAC chip are coded in the custom firmware of the USB receiver which communicates with the USB host via the UAC standard.

Nutul

Volume feature (among other features) is a standard part of UAC. The actual commands sent to the DAC chip are coded in the custom firmware of the USB receiver which communicates with the USB host via the UAC standard.
Then I'll give my Eversolo Z8 a try... thanks, didn't know that.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can check the controls your DAC offers by 'amixer contents -c CARD_NAME_OR_ID'.

OP
M

maver1ck

It's there :)
volumio@volumio:~$ amixer contents -c D10s numid=4,iface=CARD,name='Topping Internal Clock Validity' ; type=BOOLEAN,access=r-------,values=1 : values=on numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='D10s Playback Switch' ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1 : values=on numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='D10s Playback Volume' ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=1,min=0,max=127,step=0 : values=127 | dBminmax-min=-127.00dB,max=0.00dB numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='SoftMaster' ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---RW-,values=2,min=0,max=99,step=0 : values=50,50 | dBscale-min=-50.00dB,step=0.50dB,mute=0 numid=1,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map' ; type=INTEGER,access=r----R--,values=2,min=0,max=36,step=0 : values=3,4 | container | chmap-fixed=FL,FR

OP
M

maver1ck

Summary of experiments.
None of RPi solutions can fulfill my needs.

Volumio needs upgrade of CamillaDSP to 2.0 (and upgrade of underlying system to bookworm). Difficulty level: hard

Moode Spotify client is not using CamillaDSP volume control even when configured system-wide. Difficulty level: unknown
EDIT: It should be fixed in next version of Moode.

All the systems are quite unstable.
Drop of connections, problems with steering Spotify from touch screen. This is normal.
WiiM is rock solid in comparison.

I think I need to wait few months and come back to this topic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom