• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

mcgo

Recently updated my dedicated Digione coax streamer from a Pi 3B+ to Pi 4. Since the Pi 4 has a real USB controller chip on PCIE, I thought I’d give it a spin with the RME. No issues with native DSD via stock raspbian. Also the ~$100 Hifime High-Speed USB Isolator (amzn: B07L4CQVS7) works fine with the RME on USB2 if galvanic isolation is your thing.

ferongr

Forum Donor
What's the maximum voltage swing of ADI-2 DAC's headphone output at clipping (or 0dBFS) in high gain mode?

ferongr

Forum Donor
That's more than enough voltage to drive the T1.2 then. Thanks.

dc655321

Major Contributor
That's more than enough voltage to drive the T1.2 then. Thanks.

Their spec sheet says 102 dB/mW sensitivity.
So, if we assume ~100 mW is available from the RME at 600 Ohm, you should still be able to drive the T1.2 to stupid volumes.
Enjoy!

NoDad

Same here! Ten months and I haven’t wanted to upgrade in all that time; that’s unprecedented ;-)

The functionality has been perfect for my use cases: I need to EQ a couple of different headphones; I use the crossfeed when using headphones for some older releases with very harsh stereo separation; I have multiple “setups” and I use a different color for the analyzer (green, cyan, and amber) to visually identify quickly which setup I’m on.

The recent addition of all the remote codes makes using the RME ADI-2 DAC with my Harmony Elite remote an awesome experience.

I have been considering the RME ADI-2 as well. How hard is it to switch between the different EQ settings? Can it be done from the ADI remote or from your Harmony remote?

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been considering the RME ADI-2 as well. How hard is it to switch between the different EQ settings? Can it be done from the ADI remote or from your Harmony remote?

you can assign a button to set the EQ to be on or off.

but i don't think you can cycle different EQ settings with remote.

D

Deleted member 65

From the manual:

Remap Keys
OFF, ON, Remote. Default: Remote. Allows to assign 31 different functions/actions to the four function keys on the unit and on the remote, or the remote only. Configuration is done via the following four entries:
VOL (1), I/O (2), EQ (3), SETUP (4). Available functions/actions:
Setup 1 to 9, Mono, Mono to L, Mute, Loudness, EQ enable, B/T enable, EQ+B/T+Ld, Toggle Ph/Line, Polarity, AutoDark, Dim, Toggle View, Crossfeed 1 to 5, DA SD Sharp, DA SD Slow, DA Sharp, DA Slow, DA NOS.”

Setup 1-9 could maybe be used

D

Deleted member 65

From RME’s forum:

And here we go: RME's ADI-2 DAC enters remote paradise!
Users that own a freely programmable remote, either as part of a home automation system, or self-build with infrared transmitters, or a programmable remote from renowned manufacturer Logitech can now use their remote to control the ADI-2 DAC. RME released a document listing all the supported remote commands and codes:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/ad … mmands.zip
And Logitech added all these commands/codes to their data base for the RME ADI-2 DAC:
http://www.myharmony.com
Search for RME, ADI-2 DAC, in your Harmony software!

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From RME’s forum:

Users that own a freely programmable remote, either as part of a home automation system, or self-build with infrared transmitters, or a programmable remote from renowned manufacturer Logitech can now use their remote to control the ADI-2 DAC. RME released a document listing all the supported remote commands and codes:
And Logitech added all these commands/codes to their data base for the RME ADI-2 DAC:

wow! thanks!

NoDad

From RME’s forum:

Great! Thanks from a fellow Swede. En dalmas från Avesta, men boende i California.

I have looked at the manual and it seems it's not possible to switch the preset EQ settings from a remote. At least I couldn't figure out how.

I found a preamp which has the bass & treble controls directly on the remote, Parasound Pre 200, http://www.parasound.com/200_Pre.php
The measurements aren't as good, but it does have the sub out and tone controls. Not sure if the difference in measurements are audible or not.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This popped up in my browser news feed:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/rme-adi-2-dac-fs-review-r852/

More flowery audiophile nonsense. He says the headphone amp lacks dynamic range, even though it’s one of the best measuring in that regard.
It's no wonder. He used only old recordings of mediocre SQ and the RME just delivered it as it is without mercy. Instead of blaming the recording he blames the headamp.:facepalm:

Luckily :oops: he compared the DAC part with his sounded chain. Had he used the Benchmark AHB2 both hat failed him as well.

chauct

I don't have the answers to your questions. and "LEAPS" might have been exaggerated but I am not the bigger or more expensive is better type. I do not believe in burn-in nor do I believe in expensive power and audio cables.

What I heard with the Transporter (vs the D50) was deeper bass, better transparency, slightly better (very slightly) soundstage. This isn't the first time I've compared a device with the Transporter in which I wanted the Transporter to lose. I compared a Squeezebox Touch as well and I really wanted to keep the Touch (I preferred the smaller size and touch screen) but it wasn't even close. I will say, and this is only going by memory, that the D50 was closer to the Transporter than the Touch was.

Anyway, I would have loved to come here to this forum and tell everyone that my cheap D50 sounded as good or better than the Transporter but it wasn't to be. Like I stated above, one of these days I'll try another Topping with the AKM. (Although the Touch had the AKM as well)

I too have a Logitech Transporter and would like to know if the RME is closer to the Transporter in terms of SQ.

Majestyk

I too have a Logitech Transporter and would like to know if the RME is closer to the Transporter in terms of SQ.

I've brought up my Transporter vs ADI-2 opinions here once too many. In short, I sold my ADI-2 and kept the Transporter. I don't need 24/192 or DSD. It was hard to do. I loved the ADI-2 in terms of looks and function but I didn't like the sound. It really didn't sound much better than the Topping D50. It did have a slightly wider soundstage than the D50 and Transporter but IMO it seemed a tad too wide, particularly listening to vinyl rips, and vinyl (played on a high end system) usually has a wider soundstage than CD's. Yes, I level matched and my bias was for the ADI-2. (Really wanted to give the Transporter the heave-ho)

This guy from Super Best Audio Friends forum (a forum I rarely frequent) had similar findings...

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/topping-dx3-pro.7498/page-2#post-269064

I've been searching high and low for a USB DAC that sounds better than the Transporter (under $1500) and I can't find it. Maybe one day someone will come out with a DAC for $300 that sounds better, who knows.

(Not going to reply anymore on this matter but you're welcome to PM me)

Willem

Major Contributor
The ADI-2 is demonstrably transparent so if there is a sonic difference the Logitech degrades the sound. But I doubt there is a real difference under controlled conditions. That requires something better than vinyl rips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom