• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray Player

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Would be interested in seeing you test your own to see if theirs really was broken. Oppo is known for quality stuff!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Same here.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Would be interested in seeing you test your own to see if theirs really was broken. Oppo is known for quality stuff!

«Quality stuff» that measures poorly by both Amir and Archimago (two different DACs).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Shoot. I just looked and mine is the 103, not 105...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
it may be a stuck bit

How, in these days of modern times, can a bit get stuck?

In the good old days with boards full of logic chips, maybe, probably, sure!

But now? Where? How?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
How, in these days of modern times, can a bit get stuck?

But now? Where? How?
Don't they all still use mechanical relays and flip flops? Well, there's your answer.

Actually, I do suspect it is a firmware problem. My experience with Oppo has been nothing but exemplary.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hw, in these days of modern times, can a bit get stuck?

But now? Where? How?

Plankton clog. :rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oppo is known for quality stuff!
«Quality stuff» that measures poorly by both Amir and Archimago (two different DACs).
Humm, well Oppo is know for expensive, well marketed stuff.
I'm not going to come down on them as I really don't have the evidence but we have seen and heard this all before.
The proof is always in the pudding, and in just the limited exposure of this thread I have read about both badly measuring and broken examples.
So maybe they're not really all they've been cracked up to be. Amir, how about opening your unit up and taking a look at the quality of components, construction, etc. After all, it is just another Chinese man'd product.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
True, if it measures poorly maybe it does suck!
I only have the PM-2 and its by far the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn (with PM-1 pads) and it sounds great to my ears.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Clearly, without the 'truth' modifications, you can't possibly experience what the Oppo is really capable of...
What a bunch a asinine bullschitt,
Good stuff for the "more money than sense" trade.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Humm, well Oppo is know for expensive, well marketed stuff.
I'm not going to come down on them as I really don't have the evidence but we have seen and heard this all before.
The proof is always in the pudding, and in just the limited exposure of this thread I have read about both badly measuring and broken examples.
So maybe they're not really all they've been cracked up to be. Amir, how about opening your unit up and taking a look at the quality of components, construction, etc. After all, it is just another Chinese man'd product.

In this age, anybody who still believes price tag is an automatic guarantee for quality for anything is just another a sucker with their money soon parted.

Still I would give some slack to Oppo since at least it's a device that does a ton more stuff than an a audio-only signal chain component.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
They sure put some thoughts in the higher end models...105 and 205 to please analog audiophiles. The reviews are all stellar and the measurements are a great accompaniment. They are the most universal as universal they can be.
They play a multitude of video and audio discs well, they are build like tanks
(105 and 205), and they have enough features and connections and support to please a vast field of audio/video aficionados. They offer great value compared to the ultra high End audio only products that cost twice or more.

And for less they got that covered too, with the 103 and 203.

Not too shabby those Oppo players. And the expert engineers they love to modify those Oppos to suck even more performance out of them.

I don't think I've ever read a bad review about any Oppo players from the last x number of years. They consistently improved them, upgrade them, keep them running with our times.

Oppo is the real shit, meaning solid players for the consumers with a taste in movies and music. The pros use Oppos.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The 103 and 105 are pretty much the same except for the analog outputs. The 105 is supposed to be better. It would be interesting to see if the 103 suffers from the same flaw.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unfortunately the 103 does not have S/PDIF input. It also doesn't have balanced output which is what I may have used in the measurements here.

I could try testing it with USB drive and see how it does.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had been using a 105 for a few years as a DVD Bluray player and using the analogue outputs for surround sound with films, front channels to my main speakers and rears to a pair of old Meridian M33 active speakers. It has been fine except skipping quite often on imperfect DVDs.
When I changed my unreliable Epson projector for a 4K Sony the dealer threw in a Sony 4K video player. To try it with surround sound, which it doesn't have internally, I connect it via HDMI to the Oppo. A bit clumsy but now the Oppo is only being used as a decoder. I can't say I am particularly critical when it comes to the sound with films though, it seems to work fine. I can use it for SACD music surround too but don't often, I don't have a convenient place to put a centre speaker.

Top Bottom