• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray Player

LibranRabbit

Why doesn't the poor linearity result not reveal itself in THD measurements?
I've been using the 105D since it was released and it's sound is outstanding on the all inputs that I've tried (coaxial SPDIF is the only one I haven't tried). That's on a very high end (>$20k) setup. Please review that model when you can as I think there's something wrong with your specific player.
My 105D has been given the full treatment by Custom Analog Audio,
2019 Oppo Level 4.2 "Signature 2"
Suits Oppo BDP-105/D & UDP-205
Level 4.2+ACB "Analog Clock Buffer

Having just bought a 205, I did a side by side comparison and it was a jaw dropping moment! The modded 105D left the stock 205 for dead. I’m currently saving the pennies to get the 205 the same treatment.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Having just bought a 205, I did a side by side comparison and it was a jaw dropping moment! The modded 105D left the stock 205 for dead. I’m currently saving the pennies to get the 205 the same treatment.
In what way, audio, video, both?
If audio, how closely did you match levels and did you compare under bias controlled DBT conditions?

LibranRabbit

In what way, audio, video, both?
If audio, how closely did you match levels and did you compare under bias controlled DBT conditions?
The difference I am reporting, is only in sound quality that I can hear, as I don’t have any instruments to check. I’m using Mackie HR824 active studio monitors with Mackie HRS150 active studio subs, connected by balanced XLR out, through HDMI into an Emotiva RMC-1 pre-amp, fixed output on both. Same configuration on the units. The 105D sounds far spatially better and music actually sounds real. What I found most startling, is the crash of cymbals, which had a timbre and cleanliness. In comparison, the 205 sounds sharp and very constrained, with a very small soundstage.
I really didn’t expect the results, I expected the modded 105D to probably come very close to the 205, but not go way past. But you must remember that the mods are hugely substantial and as expensive as the 205 cost me to buy!
I had had the mods applied in stages, as I was sceptical to spend that sort of money without seeing (sic) a result.
The person doing this is Joe Rasmussen, a Danish audio designer who lives in Australia, his business has global distributors. He's currently writing a white paper, on a new type of amplifier design.
This isn’t a plug and play mod, but substantial rewiring and added circuitry.
I've added before and staged pics.
I sold Audiophile equipment 40 years ago, been involved in live music and always searched for audio gratification.

Attachments

• A768E83C-C82D-40BE-B976-45EB4E924822.jpeg
    A768E83C-C82D-40BE-B976-45EB4E924822.jpeg
    841.7 KB · Views: 246
  • B042FDF9-2FC3-437F-AE0B-A49BDA5030AC.jpeg
    B042FDF9-2FC3-437F-AE0B-A49BDA5030AC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 237
  • 133B27A6-D746-4950-882A-A17B5EB36EC1.jpeg
    133B27A6-D746-4950-882A-A17B5EB36EC1.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 214

zermak

I am confused. Reading the site page about this (very expansive) upgrade they want to solve something that there isn't there alreadly: jitter problems? Non-flat response from 20Hz to 20kHz? At least looking at the various measurements around the web.

LibranRabbit

Last pic is un-modded, first is 3.0 status, middle is full modded 4.2 + ACB Signature. The last mod “Full Monty” is internal, so no picture.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The difference I am reporting, is only in sound quality that I can hear, as I don’t have any instruments to check.
If you are in US and can spare the unit for a bit, I love to measure and listen to it!

LibranRabbit

I am confused. Reading the site page about this (very expansive) upgrade they want to solve something that there isn't there alreadly: jitter problems? Non-flat response from 20Hz to 20kHz? At least looking at the various measurements around the web.
You must remember listening is different from measurements. I’m not saying good test results aren’t needed, but there is a huge sound difference between these two players.

zermak

You must remember listening is different from measurements. I’m not saying good test results aren’t needed, but there is a huge sound difference between these two players.
It sure has a sound signature now, at least I hope it has or the upgrade was useless but they claim to solve problems that aren't there, like many other companies on audio gear in this bussiness, sadly (and thankfully Amir helps us on spotting them or at least to make us more conscious on our buys; and of course no one deny you to buy something you like).
Anyway if you are happy with your purchase that's good for you and your investment.
Does the upgrade involves all the seven analog outputs too?

LibranRabbit

It sure has a sound signature now, at least I hope it has or the upgrade was useless but they claim to solve problems that aren't there, like many other companies on audio gear in this bussiness, sadly (and thankfully Amir helps us on spotting them or to make us more conscious on our buys, no one deny you to bus something you like no matter what after all)
Anyway if you are happy with your purchase that's good for you and your investment.
Does the upgrade involves all the seven analog outputs too?
We are always sceptical, as I. But having both units side by side, there isn’t any more proof that I need. And, yes to your question about the analog outputs.
you can read more...http://customanalogue.com/oppo_L3.htm

zermak

We are always sceptical, as I. But having both units side by side, there isn’t any more proof that I need. And, yes to your question about the analog outputs.
you can read more...http://customanalogue.com/oppo_L3.htm
Yes, I read it and they even talk about video superior quality with the upgrade but they don't even touch the video part/circuits.
And in the notes it says they are focused on the stereo part and in your photos indeed there are only pairs of cables going through their added boards. It would be more messy than that to have the mod all over the seven outputs and their additional boards would be more crowded :)
I am sure technicians here can even sport what kind of stuff they added and what kind of circuit they use.

LibranRabbit

Yes, I read it and they even talk about video superior quality with the upgrade but they don't even touch the video part/circuits.
And in the notes it says they are focused on the stereo part and in your photos indeed there are only pairs of cables going through their added boards. It would be more messy than that to have the mod all over the seven outputs and their additional boards would be more crowded :)
I am sure technicians here can even sport what kind of stuff they added and what kind of circuit they use.
I’ve done comparison with the outputs and there is more going on than you think. Have a listen to one and then come back and give me your thoughts. There are reports that the video is improved. There is a U.S. distributor.

zermak

I’ve done comparison with the outputs and there is more going on than you think. Have a listen to one and then come back and give me your thoughts. There are reports that the video is improved. There is a U.S. distributor.
I live in Italy and honestly right now I don't have the economic possibility and I don't even own any OPPO products (and well I would have liked to have a standard 105 for my living room).
They can't modify the video processor if they don't touch the circuitary at all, they just routed the stereo paths on their add-in boards. And what this video superior quality should do? A digital video signal is indeed digital and it can only be altered for some purpose and it needs more than just an audio add in board to be processed (ask the guys who uses MadVR renderer to get its advantages).
I am kinda a purist and I want the video from the movies as untouched as possible (and just a 3D LUT if possible to achieve at the best the correct standard of the movie on my the TV).

LibranRabbit

It comes from the power that’s supplied. I’m not an expert, but the power supply I believe is the contributing factor.

zermak

It comes from the power that’s supplied. I’m not an expert, but the power supply I believe is the contributing factor.
I am not a technical expert but for every digital transport there is a standard and a way to process it and so on and a power supply can't interact with the bitstream of a video in the digital path. A string of bits will always be a sting of bits and the standard and it's implementation ensures you that it will go from there to here keeping the "content" intact.

LibranRabbit

When you plug in and turn on the modded unit, it has a timer light that goes off after 5mins or so. It has to do with the oscillations of the power supply circuit getting the timing down as close to zero. That’s as much as I know, please refer to his website.

LibranRabbit

I am not a technical expert but for every digital transport there is a standard and a way to process it and so on and a power supply can't interact with the bitstream of a video in the digital path. A string of bits will always be a sting of bits and the standard and it's implementation ensures you that it will go from there to here keeping the "content" intact.
Is that why every digital unit is exactly the same, not.

Top Bottom