• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've reached the end of this thread!

Reactions: MAB

Guettel

That’s the whole problem. It always gives you a cop-out to call it a bad argument, without having to prove the opposite: show a single counter example. Because if there is one thing @Guettel will not do, is show a single counter example.
I'm not the one making the claim. He's making the claim and won't provide scientific evidence for it.
Not good for a science forum.

Guettel

You are a troll, right?
Asking for evidence of a claim in a forum that purports to be scientific makes me a troll?
If not, then I don't think anybody has made the claim that it can be proven with 100% certainty that there cannot be a variable that cannot be measured that is also audible. It would be silly.
"There is absolutely no audible phenomenon that isn't trivially measurable." is what he said.

If it's such a silly thing to claim, then stop claiming it.

In which case, the only defensible conclusion is that measurements cannot be said to be everything. (And they're certainly not nothing).

They're something.

Guettel

If you're asking to prove a negative, that's logically ridiculous.

I'll try to say this more slowly: No-one has ever demonstrated any audible effects in electronics that isn't trivially measurable. 50+ years. No-one.
So what. They may be tomorrow.

There's not a single thing isn't demonstrated until it is.

If you're making logically ridiculous claims (which you yourself admit to), I'd recommend you stop.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Asking for evidence of a claim in a forum that purports to be scientific makes me a troll?

"There is absolutely no audible phenomenon that isn't trivially measurable." is what he said.

If it's such a silly thing to claim, then stop claiming it.

In which case, the only defensible conclusion is that measurements cannot be said to be everything. (And they're certainly not nothing).

They're something.
It's not a claim it is a statement that is true within the current scientific paradigm.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you're making logically ridiculous claims (which you yourself admit to), I'd recommend you stop.
Thank you. I got a belly ache.
But seriously, until that day, can we accept what we know so far?!
SIY is correct, in Electronics at least that book is closed, perhaps in speakers and headphones, there maybe things still to be discovered.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's a troll.

But there is stereotype in internet debates of somebody, usually youngster, who discovers that proving of non-existence is impossible and this blows his mind. He then goes on throwing that around like a new toy until he either grows up or somebody can make him understand why there are such things as "plausible deniability".

VQR

People keep telling and showing you what's been demonstrated, you just don't believe it. If you find a difference in audio electronics that we can't measure, that would be constructive. Decades of highly scrutinized testing suggest that possibility to be unlikely. Willy nilly invoking unknown unknowns is humorous at best, unproductive at worst.

Last edited:

Guettel

Yeah, it's a troll.

But there is stereotype in internet debates of somebody, usually youngster, who discovers that proving of non-existence is impossible and this blows his mind. He then goes on throwing that around like a new toy until he either grows up or somebody can make him understand why there are such things as "plausible deniability".
Ad hominems are the last refuge of people who can't provide evidence for their points.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing is more reasonable than not claiming to know the unknowable (i.e. what the future will bring).
That’s not what this is thought. Nobody is making that claim. This is a question about how reasonable it is to assume that tomorrow some new discovery is made in audio by a valid listening test that cannot be trivially explained by the measurements we can already do?

If it’s reasonable, what would be the actual reason? Why tomorrow and not in the last 50 + years?

Reactions: VQR

Guettel

That’s not what this is thought. Nobody is making that claim. This is a question about how reasonable it is to assume that tomorrow some new discovery is made in audio by a valid listening test that cannot be trivially explained by the measurements we can already do?

If it’s reasonable, what would be the actual reason? Why tomorrow and not in the last 50 + years?
Because new understanding and technology comes along every day and we learn new things we didn't know yesterday.

Top Bottom