• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva AWG Bookshelf Speaker Review by ERIN's Audio Corner

janbth

Does anyone know the weight of the speaker?
According to Spinorama.org it’s 6.6 kg. Strangely enough, it doesn’t seem to be listed anywhere else.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just measured mine using a bathroom scale: 11.0 kg (24.25 lbs) each speaker by itself. How precise it is, your guess is as good as mine.

I don't know where @pierre got his number for Spinorama.org though...

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just measured mine using a bathroom scale: 11.0 kg (24.25 lbs) each speaker by itself. How precise it is, your guess is as good as mine.

very likely a mistake. I will use your number.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I figured it was a mistake for sure. His cabinets are solid hardwood. Maybe somebody just added up the driver masses to come up with that figure. IIRC he had a 1kg woofer inductor at one point, so 11.0kg would be closer.

Why not just email Alan and ask him?

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

I like to weigh myself, then myself+object. It means you get results on the region of where the scales "should" be more accurate; the weight of humans.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to weigh myself, then myself+object. It means you get results on the region of where the scales "should" be more accurate; the weight of humans.
Good idea. I just tried 10.6kg of gym weight, myself, and me+weight, and it matched to the decimal. So it is accurate on the 10-11kg range. Thanks for the tip.

janbth

I guess the weight will vary depending on the type of wood in the cabinet. I just weighed one of my speakers on my bathroom scale. The number I got was 10.7 kg.

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

I guess the weight will vary depending on the type of wood in the cabinet. I just weighed one of my speakers on my bathroom scale. The number I got was 10.7 kg.
We could make a list of wood finish vs weight lol
Density was something I was considering as well as appearance with these speakers

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The IsoAcoustics Iso-Puck Mini is ideal as it is rated 2.75 kg each x 4 = 11 kg per speaker. They cost 95 USD for the 8 pack.

janbth

FWIW, I can offer two REW sweeps measured at my main listening position. The blue (PMC, L+R) is the L+R curve of my previous speakers, PMC twenty5.24i (no comments, please :)). The magenta (MA, L+R) is the L+R curve of my Sointuva AWGs. First of all, disregard everything below 200 Hz! I have some bad room modes, which I will fix later with Dirac and two subs. The plots show that the PMCs are much more bright and have a dip at about 2 kHz. Subjectively, this is also how it sounds: The Sointuva AWGs are more neutral.

2024-04-21-PMC-MA-compare.jpg

Cincyret

The IsoAcoustics Iso-Puck Mini is ideal as it is rated 2.75 kg each x 4 = 11 kg per speaker. They cost 95 USD for the 8 pack.

Again, thanks. I've bought Kanto SX22 stands. Alan recommends the Solid Steel stands, but I don't like the look (or the expense). The Kanto stand is substantial.. Triple boxed, 13lb base plate, everthing in plastic sleeves & boxed. I was impressed. The 22 inch rise puts the tweeter at (approx) 7 degrees below LP (8.5 feet approx). I can't wait for my Sointuva pair to arrive!

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

There's room modes and then there's +30dB at 40Hz - it can't be that bad surely!

janbth

There's room modes and then there's +30dB at 40Hz - it can't be that bad surely!
I assume you were referring to my plot above? Actually, yes it's that bad! One speaker is smack in the corner, because it's my living room, and I suffer from constraints. The big peak at 45 Hz is probably two coinciding modes. It's a bit hard to tell, because I have an L-shaped living room, and normal room mode calculators don't work properly. Anyway, when I get time to run Dirac and play with my two subs it will be OK.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I assume you were referring to my plot above? Actually, yes it's that bad! One speaker is smack in the corner, because it's my living room, and I suffer from constraints. The big peak at 45 Hz is probably two coinciding modes. It's a bit hard to tell, because I have an L-shaped living room, and normal room mode calculators don't work properly. Anyway, when I get time to run Dirac and play with my two subs it will be OK.

Do you really need subs? Looks like you could get away with DSP as its mostly cutting.
The more difficult area is 150-350Hz droop.

janbth

Do you really need subs? Looks like you could get away with DSP as its mostly cutting.
The more difficult area is 150-350Hz droop.
For this listening position you are right: I could probably get away with DSP. Unfortunately, I have a few other listening positions with holes in the frequency response, and I need subs to fill in there.

Waddles

Has anyone's order shipped yet? The estimated time on the website is four weeks, and it's been over six since I put mine in. I tried to contact the manufacturer last week, but haven't received a reply.

I'm sure there's multiple reasons they're busy, but it still sucks when there's a delay and I'm kept in the dark.
I sent the original email on the 10th of April. A few days later I left a message on the phone number on the website. I've heard nothing but silence.

I had some questions when I originally wanted to buy the speaker, and my emails were answered within an hour or two.

The website even says that customers will be notified of any significant delays. That just seems like an outright lie at this point.

I've followed up earlier today, but at this point I'm not expecting much.

Hoje

I'm considering getting a pair of these seeing as they have a sale on at the moment; I quite like this finish. Not sure if I should go for a navy or darker front, or get the natural wood.

Matias' Blackwood ones look nice too. Not sure which wood the ones below are using.

View attachment 348412View attachment 348413
It's nice to see my speakers here.

If it helps, I'm writing my first reply after signing up.

I ordered these speakers on 5/8/22 from March Audio. Here are the notes I requested when I placed the order.

"RAL 5011, steel blue matte painted front panel finish with Wandoo wood enclosure like D&D C8 enclosure.(the waveguide can be black)"

These speakers are beautiful to look at and have great measurement data, but I had a some of issues with the opened binding posts and HOD(High-Order Distortion) when I first received them.
Since then, the speaker has been used primarily behind a soundscreen, with the exception of once a year when it was allowed to come out of the soundscreen to oil the wooden enclosure.

I recently took it out for oiling and discovered that the wooden enclosure was cracking, so I stopped using these speakers.
I will be contacting the manufacturer to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Photo 1. Cracked speakers
Photo 2. My soundscreen environment
Photo 3. Sointuva after oiling last winter

Attachments

• 20240217_140914.jpg
    20240217_140914.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 20240211_162333.jpg
    20240211_162333.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 248
  • 20230305_172414.jpg
    20230305_172414.jpg