• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR6014 AVR Review

matteroll

Sorry to necro this thread but will I get any significant sound upgrade if I were to replace this marantz receiver with the Denon X3700H? And how do I turn off the amps as I'm just using the Marantz as a preamp into my NAD C298 right now.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry to necro this thread but will I get any significant sound upgrade if I were to replace this marantz receiver with the Denon X3700H? And how do I turn off the amps as I'm just using the Marantz as a preamp into my NAD C298 right now.
Sound wise, not likely and as for the amps in the Marantz they are always on and can't be turned off.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Based on specifications and measurements, in direct mode using analog inputs, they will most likely sound the same if both are used well below the output level of say less than 1.5 V or even 2V. If digital inputs are used, under some conditions if you have great hearing you may be able to tell a difference due to Marantz's intentional roll off that seemed to start from about 10 kHz and up, dropping 2-3 dB by 20,000 Hz. Again that's all based on measurements, some people don't even believe such measurements would mean much.;)

It is true that the Denon measured much better on the bench, but at the SINAD performance at output level of about 1.46 V while the Denon measured about 13 dB better than the SR6014 (about 100 dB Vs 87 dB), can you really hear -87 dB THD+N, all else being equal? I highly doubt that..

As Everett mentioned, you cannot turn off the internal amps (if you meant "power turn off "). However, if you are using the SR6014 with the C298, you should use the amp assign feature to disconnect the internal power amps for the FL/FR channels. By disconnecting the signal to the internal amps, the internal amps will have nothing to clip so they will not be able to feed distortions back to the preamp outputs.

Last edited:

matteroll

Based on specifications and measurements, in direct mode using analog inputs, they will most likely sound the same if both are used well below the output level of say less than 1.5 V or even 2V. If digital inputs are used, under some conditions if you have great hearing you may be able to tell a difference due to Marantz's intentional roll off that seemed to start from about 10 kHz and up, dropping 2-3 dB by 20,000 Hz. Again that's all based on measurements, some people don't even believe such measurements would mean much.;)

It is true that the Denon measured much better on the bench, but at the SINAD performance at output level of about 1.46 V while the Denon measured about 13 dB better than the SR6014 (about 100 dB Vs 87 dB), can you really hear -87 dB THD+N, all else being equal? I highly doubt that..

As Everett mentioned, you cannot turn off the internal amps (if you meant "power turn off "). However, if you are using the SR6014 with the C298, you should use the amp assign feature to disconnect the internal power amps for the FL/FR channels. By disconnecting the signal to the internal amps, the internal amps will have nothing to clip so they will not be able to feed distortions back to the preamp outputs.

I pretty much have Audyssey active most of the time for frequencies up to 7kHz and mainly using my PC as a source connected to the CD RCA input which I think is an analog input but with Audyssey on, won't the input be digitized and be using the DAC? I'll also be connecting it to a TV soon via HDMI eARC. Also for some reason, I for some reason prefer the sound of the DX7 Pro + NAD C298 combo vs DX7 Pro -> Marantz as preamp -> NAD C298 but maybe it's just placebo.

As for the amp assign, I assume it would be to put it on 11.1? It states "Setting to use the 9-channel power amplifier in this unit and an external power amplifier connected to PRE OUT to play back up to 11.1-channels." and no other modes talked about pre outs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I pretty much have Audyssey active most of the time for frequencies up to 7kHz and mainly using my PC as a source connected to the CD RCA input which I think is an analog input but with Audyssey on, won't the input be digitized and be using the DAC? I'll also be connecting it to a TV soon via HDMI eARC. Also for some reason, I for some reason prefer the sound of the DX7 Pro + NAD C298 combo vs DX7 Pro -> Marantz as preamp -> NAD C298 but maybe it's just placebo.

As for the amp assign, I assume it would be to put it on 11.1? It states "Setting to use the 9-channel power amplifier in this unit and an external power amplifier connected to PRE OUT to play back up to 11.1-channels." and no other modes talked about pre outs.

That is correct, that's why I mentioned "in direct mode using analog inputs..", same for pure direct mode, otherwise the signal will be digitized.

To use amp assign to select FL/FR to pre out, you do have to select 11.1 but you can go back to the speaker menu and change it back to what you need. Someone posted some screenshots that show how to do it. I have some screenshots too but for the much older X4400H only.

Last edited:

matteroll

That is correct, that's why I mentioned "in direct mode using analog inputs..", same for pure direct mode, otherwise the signal will be digitized.

For amp assign to work you do have to select 11.1 but you can go back to the speaker menu and change it back to what you need. Someone posted some screenshots that show how to do it. I have some screenshots too but for the much older X4400H only.

Ah I see. Thanks for the info, since I mainly use it with Audyssey, I might have to consider replacing the Marantz with the Denon or wait to see if the 6016 will be any better. But judging from the performance o f the SR6015, things are not looking very bright...

Everett T

Forum Donor
Ah I see. Thanks for the info, since I mainly use it with Audyssey, I might have to consider replacing the Marantz with the Denon or wait to see if the 6016 will be any better. But judging from the performance o f the SR6015, things are not looking very bright...
I wouldn't be surprised if the 6015 is the same as the Denon X3700, with some Marantz specific technology.

Topaz

For those of us who have a Marantz SR6014, what are the optimum settings for it?

Topaz

With regards to what?
Reading this forum it appears there are short comings to the sound quality output by the amplifier. What setup minimises these issues? For example I have the amplifier connected for movie listening and music listening through Roon, plex and a lp12. The fronts are active so i do not use the amplifier for the front left and right channels. What would be the best setup in this example?

sincerely Topaz

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading this forum it appears there are short comings to the sound quality output by the amplifier. What setup minimises these issues? For example I have the amplifier connected for movie listening and music listening through Roon, plex and a lp12. The fronts are active so i do not use the amplifier for the front left and right channels. What would be the best setup in this example?

sincerely Topaz

What is lp12? "fronts are active" is not enough information, need to know its specs including gain or input sensitivity in order to people to comment. As to "there are short comings to the sound quality output by the amplifier", that would be true to just about any amplifiers.

The disadvantage of the SR6014 vs the comparable Denon AVR-X3700H is the poorer measured performance of the preamp section, not the power amplifier section. The power amp section is actually marginally better, in terms of "output" power, circuitry are the same but the SR6014 appears to have a slightly larger power supply transformer.

Everett T

Forum Donor

sincerely Topaz
What @peng said. A little more information would be helpful.

hipis_1

I've read recently that Marantz use different components due to covid or factory fire problems. Do we know if new components improved or worsened the quality?

Everett T

Forum Donor
I've read recently that Marantz use different components due to covid or factory fire problems. Do we know if new components improved or worsened the quality?
Not likely audibly (highly). Measured difference in the DAC chips will show one or the other is better in certain areas.

Oski1997

Great review! Again disappointing results from Marantz. Maybe the newly launched 2020 models would perform better.
And we also have the new Nad T778 to check, but until then no breakthrough in AVR performance... Still struggling
Did the SR6015 perform better?

Oski1997

I called Marantz yesterday. Only the Denons (manufactured after May 2021) were downgraded to the PCM1502 DAC. Because of limited supplies, Sound United is putting the superior AKM4458 DACs into their “premium” brand Marantz.

Oski1997

Not known...
Since X-series Denons are getting the inferior PCM1502 DAC (those manufactured after May 2021), it’ll be interesting how these compare to the SR6015s since Marantz gets to keep the AKM4458 in all of their AVRs. I called Marantz yesterday. They told me of this new policy.

beren777

Since X-series Denons are getting the inferior PCM1502 DAC (those manufactured after May 2021), it’ll be interesting how these compare to the SR6015s since Marantz gets to keep the AKM4458 in all of their AVRs. I called Marantz yesterday. They told me of this new policy.
I keep reading "inferior" but has anyone measured the new units to verify any actual degradation of performance as assembled?

Oski1997

I keep reading "inferior" but has anyone measured the new units to verify any actual degradation of performance as assembled?
I've asked around this past week but no one seems to care about the quality of the Denon post-May 2021 PCM1502 DAC units. Either internet "influencers" have all been told to keep it quiet or just maybe nobody cares. I found a guy who tears down AVRs. Maybe he'll reply with an update. I'm returning the Denon I bought last week and getting a Marantz equivalent because I either get the better Denon (pre-May) with the AKM4458 but with a broken HDMI 2.1 port with a dongle solution. Or I get a newer Denon with a working HDMI 2.1 port but with the downgraded PCM1502. If the DACs are really equivalent in specs, Sound United would've equally spread out the AKMs between the Denons and Marantz (and installed PCM1502 DACs in the Marantz units as well). Instead, they're keeping the AKM4458 just for Marantz units. This new policy is what has me concerned.

Top Bottom