• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making a Case/Enclosure for the Khadas Tone Board

Irrenarzt

Hello folks, a newcomer in this forum. :cool:

Is this a case for the group purchase?

View attachment 33974View attachment 33975

Since i i'm not able to create enclosure for KTB, like this project and signing for the orders.

That is not an available case. It is a model created by Electrohm as far as I can tell. The only cases available commercially are the purple plastic one Khadas sells, The other acrylic topped one that says yeewee or something like that on it, the aluminum one shipping from France and Canada, and ones you can have printed for you via the 3D printed thread.

I am new to all this, but I have a background in fabrication, so I am interested in machining one to match the Atom amp, but I won't be able to make more than 1. The one Electrohm was talking about getting from China (i.e. the one you posted), will likely never get made as they require a purchase of 500 units.

Last edited:

baszek

if the writing is offensive, it looks symmetrical enough that you can simply turn the top piece over and it will be hidden
Case-for-Khadas-Tone-Board-ES9038Q2M-USB-DAC-Hi-Res-Audio-Development-Board-with-XMOS-XU208.jpg
Hi
have you tried this box ?
I saw that reviews are not good:
"It's not the cheapest case, and the quality is not great. The elements are not realy precise crafted and do not easily fit each other. The bottom plate was missmatched with black one, and I can't put the walls in holes. That lead to two breaks. Overall I can't recommend this product. "
"described but I'm disappointed in how poorly the plastic pieces fit together. In fact, I broke the bottom plate slightly trying to place the front panel into the case. It does take a bit of time to assemble and it's a bit of a nuisance getting it together when the pieces don't quite line up. Once assembled it looks good. However, I'd caution people looking at this since there are so many positive reviews (I wonder if any of these people actually put it together.) "

cubanmetalguy

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_121221.jpg
    IMG_20200118_121221.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 395

scruffy1

the shape is good, but the faceplate is a bit excessive

metal is good for dissipating heat though

wiz2596

As mentioned some weeks ago, that I was in the process of fabricating a custom machined case for the KTB.
Well, its done, but the KTB has yet to board the plane leaving China, despite my placing an order 5 weeks ago....

As for costs, well lets just say that its not much cheaper than the KTB itself unless we have like a machine run of 20 pieces at one go.

NOTE: The lighting is for illustration purposes only, should one decide to install an additional LED light to indicate power. It shouldn't be that bright.

View attachment 21783 View attachment 21784 View attachment 21785 View attachment 21786
@maxxevv I love this case man, would you be willing to make one for me? I'll pay you

worldburger

The rear plate doesn't need to be separate ( you just need to lengthen the case a little bit for the board to slide into place), the bottom plate can be screwed from the bottom rather than the sides.

Unless of course keeping the case as small as possible is absolutely paramount.

The machining time (costs) for boring out a single piece (this small) is less than for setting up another extra piece.

Keep the bottom to a thin, flat piece, it will be cheaper in terms of material and machining costs.

I guess you have not attended the "design for manufacturing" module yet in your college course. ;)
You sound like you could give some recommendations...any suggestions for Design for Manufacturing resources? :)

fafnir

I was curious to see if the KTB fits into a $6 stompbox enclosure and was happy to see that it does! I drilled a goofy looking hole for the USB port in case the board didn't fit, but I think the stompbox has the potential to look nice if a slot is filed for the USB port and a small hole drilled for the LED. Oh and adding some tiny feet to protect the bottom from scuffing. All in all, a sturdy, decent looking/cost-effective way to protect the PCB.

* here are the dimensions and link: 112 x 61 x 31 mm or 4.4" x 2.4" x 1.2"
https://lovemyswitches.com/1590b-enclosure-black-powder-coat/

Attachments

• KTB canted angle.jpg
    KTB canted angle.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 252
  • KTB front.jpg
    KTB front.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 245
  • KTB top.jpg
    KTB top.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 253