• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making a Case/Enclosure for the Khadas Tone Board

tapius

Since everyone is posting theirs, I will post mine too :) just finished today. Used an RGB slow fading LED but will probably replacing it with something more boring once it becomes too tacky for me.
photo_2019-09-20_16-12-34.jpg
photo_2019-09-20_16-13-25.jpg

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Ok so the 3D prints came out good and the Tone board came in as well and everything seems to fit properly. I am in talks with a bunch of Chinese manufacturers trying to make this thing happen but i haven't gotten a quote under $140 even with the changes that they have suggested to reduce costs.

However the biggest cost seems to be that I'm just requesting one. So if enough of you want this case then we can make a group buy and might be able to get a good deal on it. Should i do a group buy post? Please give feedback on this.

Also in addition to the Step files i have attached images of the construction and some beauty renders.
I was trying to go for the RAMA WORKS look but obviously i have some learning to do

View attachment 33914

Good effort. But your case could be simplified further to just 2 pieces.

Your top cover requires 6 settings to machine. A few tweaks will cut it down to 3. Together with cutting down to 2 parts, pretty sure you can bring your costs down to under US$100/- for the set. Even its just for 2~3 sets.

Electrohm

Your top cover requires 6 settings to machine. A few tweaks will cut it down to 3. Together with cutting down to 2 parts, pretty sure you can bring your costs down to under US$100/- for the set. Even its just for 2~3 sets.

What would those changes be to make the top simpler to manufacture?

The back and the bottom piece used to be 1 piece. However, due to its L shape i thought it would require more machine time to take a block and romve most of it to get an l shape. So i thought if its two pieces then each piece can be quite simple and then you can take to smaller pieces and machine them separately.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
What would those changes be to make the top simpler to manufacture?

The back and the bottom piece used to be 1 piece. However, due to its L shape i thought it would require more machine time to take a block and romve most of it to get an l shape. So i thought if its two pieces then each piece can be quite simple and then you can take to smaller pieces and machine them separately.

The rear plate doesn't need to be separate ( you just need to lengthen the case a little bit for the board to slide into place), the bottom plate can be screwed from the bottom rather than the sides.

Unless of course keeping the case as small as possible is absolutely paramount.

The machining time (costs) for boring out a single piece (this small) is less than for setting up another extra piece.

Keep the bottom to a thin, flat piece, it will be cheaper in terms of material and machining costs.

I guess you have not attended the "design for manufacturing" module yet in your college course. ;)

Last edited:

Electrohm

The rear plate doesn't need to be separate ( you just need to lengthen the case a little bit for the board to slide into place), the bottom plate can be screwed from the bottom rather than the sides.

The machining time (costs) for boring out a single piece (this small) is less than for setting up another extra piece.

Keep the bottom to a thin, flat piece, it will be cheaper in terms of material and machining costs.

I guess you have not attended the "design for manufacturing" module yet in your college course. ;)

Kek nope
I study physical engineering and control theory.

I will make the changes and well see what it comes out to

Electrohm

Ok so i made quite a bit of changes. I think it has simplified the machining. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Ive added the standoffs so the tone board can be screwed in from the bottom.
i hope the machining of the standoffs don't counter simplifications

Tone_Board_v13_case_for_real_2019-Sep-21_10-35-06AM-000_CustomizedView11311180118_jpg.jpgTone_Board_v13_case_for_real_2019-Sep-21_10-32-27AM-000_CustomizedView12206894759_jpg.jpg

Attachments

• Tone Board V140 step.zip
    955.1 KB · Views: 133

scruffy1

that looks very nice indeed

are you considering any port at the front to allow the led on the edge to be at all visible ?

keep us posted on prices, but i still feel it's going to be prohibitively more than my spartan option... but way more gorgeous

perhaps the secret is to brand it as your own, and simply bulk buy the khadas boards to fill it :)

Electrohm

that looks very nice indeed

are you considering any port at the front to allow the led on the edge to be at all visible ?

keep us posted on prices, but i still feel it's going to be prohibitively more than my spartan option... but way more gorgeous

perhaps the secret is to brand it as your own, and simply bulk buy the khadas boards to fill it :)

I could do that but like buying a bunch of tone boards with VAT added and selling them internationally...
Like i don't have time for that because of school. And i don't even know what the market looks like, demand and supply and such things.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Ok so i made quite a bit of changes. I think it has simplified the machining. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Ive added the standoffs so the tone board can be screwed in from the bottom.
i hope the machining of the standoffs don't counter simplifications

View attachment 33974View attachment 33975

If the base thickness is sufficient, there is no need for standoffs. just buy them. They are like US$3/dozen. Just get the correct length and screw them onto the case itself.

And to add, do leave enough clearance for the RCA plugs to slide into place.

Electrohm

If the base thickness is sufficient, there is no need for standoffs. just buy them. They are like US$3/dozen. Just get the correct length and screw them onto the case itself.

And to add, do leave enough clearance for the RCA plugs to slide into place.
But then you would need to thread the bottom plate which means it now needs two positions instead of 1

maxxevv

Major Contributor
But then you would need to thread the bottom plate which means it now needs two positions instead of 1

Nope. Its still threading the top plate.
To be clear, I was referring to mounting the standoffs to the top plate.

Electrohm

Nope. Its still threading the top plate.
To be clear, I was referring to mounting the standoffs to the top plate.

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to find two 9mm M1.6 and one 5mm m1.6 standoff?

It's more convenient for the buyer to just use the included screws with the tone board and mount it to the case.
Obviously you know more than me but would the machining time differ that much with the standoffs being there vs not?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Do you have any idea how hard it would be to find two 9mm M1.6 and one 5mm m1.6 standoff?

It's more convenient for the buyer to just use the included screws with the tone board and mount it to the case.
Obviously you know more than me but would the machining time differ that much with the standoffs being there vs not?

They are not M1.6 for starters. Just look up the KTB nomenclature and your answer is there.

Electrohm

They are not M1.6 for starters. Just look up the KTB nomenclature and your answer is there.

What are they then? If they aren't m1.6?
Well, either way, i removed the standoffs and i thought i could solve it like the audiophonics case where you just screw the short standoffs onto the board itself, acting as feet, and you just let them rest onto the bottom of the case.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
In the first place, where did you get your M1.6 idea from ?

If its from measuring the external diameterof the threaded screw, then I would suggest you go reading up on the standard M-thread fastener dimensions. A standard chart can easily be found on Google search
Measurement of KTB mounting screw.

.20190921_230516_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

Electrohm

In the first place, where did you get your M1.6 idea from ?

If its from measuring the external diameterof the threaded screw, then I would suggest you go reading up on the standard M-thread fastener dimensions. A standard chart can easily be found on Google search
Measurement of KTB mounting screw.

.View attachment 33986

Well either way, the standoffs are gone.
Hopefully now i will get a reasonable price.

Electrohm

So one manufacturer quoted me as low as $90 for making just one.
I asked what it would cost to make 10 or 20 they claimed $85 and $82 but then they would be shipped to me first as bulk. Obviously the price would go down even more if there were even more people.
So if people are interested in a group buy at those prices i can organise one if you guys want.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

So one manufacturer quoted me as low as $90 for making just one.
I asked what it would cost to make 10 or 20 they claimed $85 and $82 but then they would be shipped to me first as bulk. Obviously the price would go down even more if there were even more people.
So if people are interested in a group buy at those prices i can organise one if you guys want.

Now you see what I meant ? :D

maxxevv

Major Contributor
This was a different manufacturer though
The other manufacturer thought it was easier to machine it when it was three pieces than two

I can confidently say, either I didn't spot something in the previous design or you haven't asked the same guys for quotes on this current one.

Top Bottom