• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

agiletiger

Well that’s easy… Lyngdorf :)

I believe NAD released the new NAD C700 just to compete with TDAI-1120.
The NAD C700 does not have room correction. It seems like the C399 and the M10 v2 are the ones most similar to the Lyngdorf. I've been weighing the same choices. I suppose you could add a miniDSP DDRC-24 to the C700 in order to add room correction.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Hi,
I'm completely new to Lyngdorf equipment. I thought of changing my amp to something with room correction and actually Lyngdorf looks best on paper for my speakers, which are KEF R3.

Do you think TDAI-1120 would be sufficient to drive the R3's or maybe TDAI-2170 would be a better choice? I have a standalone streamer so I don't need all-in-one solution, unless TDAI-1120 sounds exactly the same as TDAI-2170, then I sell both amp and streamer and save some pennies :)

TDAI-3400 is not in my budget.
Hello. I think you are fine with the TDAI-1120. Also depends on how loud you are listening. If you want more power you may try a power amp and see if you are able to hear any difference :) .

But to answer the question about sound quality between TDAI-1120 and TDAI-2170. This is what Lyngdorf says: “The TDAI-1120 is based on the same amplifier design as the TDAI-2170, so the sound quality will be the same, just with less output power.”.

You can read more faq here https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/support-for-tdai-1120/

Holmz

Major Contributor
Hi,
I'm completely new to Lyngdorf equipment. I thought of changing my amp to something with room correction and actually Lyngdorf looks best on paper for my speakers, which are KEF R3.

Do you think TDAI-1120 would be sufficient to drive the R3's or maybe TDAI-2170 would be a better choice? I have a standalone streamer so I don't need all-in-one solution, unless TDAI-1120 sounds exactly the same as TDAI-2170, then I sell both amp and streamer and save some pennies :)

TDAI-3400 is not in my budget.

You have something like:
  • The NIOSH app on your iPhone?
    • And what level you listen to things at.
  • The speaker sensitivity spec?
  • The distance from the chair to the speakers?

Greendogtv

Hi everyone,
I‘m new to the TDAI1120 owners club and I‘d like to ask you guys a question. I have connected aa IFI Zen can headphone amp to the analog output, but can’t seem to get a signal. I know I’m doing something (or not) stupid, but I can’t figure it out. I can’t find a setting for headphones in the output area of the software. What an I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Chris

Marcin

I'm not really sure how to interpret what Lyngdorf says about 'sound quality' between these two. I'm afraid it's just a marketing trick because there is no real successor so far...

I have recently talked to someone who had 3400 and 1120 at home and he says: don't buy 1120, 3400 is much better. It's more detailed and manages to drive the speakers in a more precise way. I would like a similar A-B comparison from someone who knows both 1120 and 2170.

I listen to the music rather quiet or intermediate level. The listening position is around 2,5 m from the speakers. R3's sensitivity is 87 dB.

Just to add to the Lyngdorf fan posts, I got my 1120 this week after a bit of a wait, and after listening to it a few evenings I will just give a quite unscientific WOW THIS THING SOUNDS AMAZING.

I'm so pleased. I have a modest budget and this thing feels like it punches way above its weight.

My wife was a little skeptical, until I turned it on with a gorgeous live recording of Susan Tedeschi - and then she just got wide eyed at the quality of the sound.

As a bonus it works much more seamlessly with our TV than our old receiver did. Win/win/win.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Just to add to the Lyngdorf fan posts, I got my 1120 this week after a bit of a wait, and after listening to it a few evenings I will just give a quite unscientific WOW THIS THING SOUNDS AMAZING.

I'm so pleased. I have a modest budget and this thing feels like it punches way above its weight.

My wife was a little skeptical, until I turned it on with a gorgeous live recording of Susan Tedeschi - and then she just got wide eyed at the quality of the sound.

As a bonus it works much more seamlessly with our TV than our old receiver did. Win/win/win.

Keep going with a review in a week.
I have been telling the young ladies about this (in theory), but I only heard one once.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I hope she was in the kitchen. Very little credibility otherwise.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Welcome!

Glad you are happy, and always a bonus when the wife is happy too!

Too often, audiophiles make them listen from the kitchen. ;)

JohnKay

Bit of a strange question, sorry: Has anyone tried to use a sonos port with the lyngdorf? If so, does it sync well with sonos speakers?
I know some avr receivers add a bit of dsp delay to the input (even digital coax) and that means it is not possible to sync whole home sonos. Is that the case with the lyngdorf I wonder.
Obscure use case but worth a shot. Many thanks

roguejester

Plan on ordering a TDAI 1120 this week to go with my Dali Menuet SE. Hoping it matches decently as I can't demo it.
How did your pairing go? I am looking at the Dali Rubicon 2's and the 1120 as my system and would be interested in your observations with your Menuet SE's.

panther

How did your pairing go? I am looking at the Dali Rubicon 2's and the 1120 as my system and would be interested in your observations with your Menuet SE's.
It is/was excellent. I think I am more impressed with the Menuets after I just purchased some Monitor Audio Silver 300 (6G). The floorstanders have more bass which I have had to tame a bit (not running RP yet as we are ripping open walls in the room). The Lyngdorf definitely doesn't have to go as high on the volume dial with a bit more efficient speaker in the MA, but it handled the Dali fine and I really enjoyed them, just was a bit restricted in placement. They are excellent on the wall or near it. I did not find them too bright and the 1120 RP made a nice difference in handling any Bass I thought. I thought vocals were very clear on the Dali for movie watching as well as singing and to me it's a very musical speaker in the Dali.

wjvs1983

I am highly in doubt to replace my dead NAD c390dd with this thing. It seems great but I am worried the amp is a step backwards.

Anyone have experience running this on Audio Physic Tempo loudspeakers and whether it would hit the mark? I would have gotten a 2170 instead but what I don’t like is that this is 8 years old tech that is discontinued. The 3400 is more expensive than what I would like to spend on it.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I am highly in doubt to replace my dead NAD c390dd with this thing. It seems great but I am worried the amp is a step backwards.

Anyone have experience running this on Audio Physic Tempo loudspeakers and whether it would hit the mark? I would have gotten a 2170 instead but what I don’t like is that this is 8 years old tech that is discontinued. The 3400 is more expensive than what I would like to spend on it.
Why do you think it’s a step backwards?

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Less power
Lower quality DAC
I don't think the Lyngdorf has a lower quality DAC, but if you like NAD and you're worried about power and the DAC, why not get the NAD C399? It's similar money to the TDAI-1120 (at least in Europe), has similar streaming features but a lot more power, Dirac EQ etc.

Top Bottom