• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf 1120 subwoofer integration

Jackie

Hello. I am a dedicated reader, but brand new member on a steep learning curve.

I am planning a new system for a room unfortunately 11'3" x 11'8", so room correction is a must. The speakers will be GR-Research NX-Studios that I would like to match with two JL
Audio Dominion d110 subwoofers (currently on sale in gloss black). Lyngdorf has their own subwoofers to go with the TDAI 1120 (BW-2 or BW-3). They have an input that bypasses all of the subwoofer's built in controls so the 1120 manages everything. On the JL Audio's, there is a low-pass "off" switch, but I believe the following controls remain in the signal path: a master volume dial (-infinity to 0 to max), phase (increments from 0-280 degrees), and polarity (0 or 180). My question is whether I need to set these controls before running RoomPerfect and, if so, at what values?

Hoping for some guidance. Thanks.

Steve356

For the JL Audio subs, to begin with, I'd suggest you set the volume to about mid-way (50%), phase to 0, polarity to 0. Low Pass Off is correct.

Measure from your MLP to the wall behind the sub(s) for the distance measurement. Ask JL Audio what additional delay should be input into the Lyngdorf to account for any delay caused by the sub dsp processing (I know some of their subs require a further 12-19ms to added, but not sure what the Dominion requires).

Further tweaking may be required, but this is a good start before running RP.

OP
J

Jackie

Thanks, Steve. If you know, would that same process apply to Dirac Live or Anthem ARC Genesis?

Steve356

Both Dirac Live and ARC G do an automatic measurement for sub distance. In my experience, DL can sometimes get it slightly wrong with JL Audio (and Velodyne) subs, but it's relatively easy to correct, especially if you have REW. Current generation of ARC G gets it spot on since it added the additional Phase measurement. This has been my experience, but it's been mostly limited to my room and system.

For the Lyngdorf, Room Perfect requires manual distance measurements, but they are very easy and quick to do, especially if you have a laser measure. With manual measurements as recommended by Lyngdorf, RP has consistently done a great job of sub integration in my room. This was not the case with Dirac.

For what it's worth, I currently run an Anthem MRX740 8K AVR (running ARC G) into a Lyngdorf TDAi-3400 stereo amp (running Room Perfect). I've had the 3400 for nearly 4 years now and have been very satisfied with it. Previously, I've run an Arcam (with Dirac) and temporarily a Denon 6700 on their own and with the Lyngfdorf.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Top Bottom