• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

Tassin

The beauty of this 1120 is that you can create your own voicings. Best is to have a look at the predefined voicings and try to understand the logic behind it. Then, create a new voicing based on a predefined one. You could start with News and add a lot more bass (Low shelf).

I created "Bass 3" based on Bass 2:
  • Overall gain: 9
  • Filter 1 : Parametric - 2900 - 1 - -2,5
  • Filter 2 : High shelf - 120 - 0,7 - -9
Adding more bass might cancel out what is achieved with "News". Experimenting is part of the fun of owing a Lyngdorf.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The beauty of this 1120 is that you can create your own voicings. Best is to have a look at the predefined voicings and try to understand the logic behind it. Then, create a new voicing based on a predefined one. You could start with News and add a lot more bass (Low shelf).

I created "Bass 3" based on Bass 2:
  • Overall gain: 9
  • Filter 1 : Parametric - 2900 - 1 - -2,5
  • Filter 2 : High shelf - 120 - 0,7 - -9
Adding more bass might cancel out what is achieved with "News". Experimenting is part of the fun of owing a Lyngdorf.

I created a "TV" voicing with

• Overall gain: 0
  • Filter 1: Low shelf, 100, Q = 1.25, Gain = -12
  • Filter 2: Low shelf, 4670, Q = 0.6, Gain = -2
Yep, it was based on the "News" voicing. It cuts frequencies very aggressively below 120 Hz.

The "Neutral" voicing is actually quite heavy in the bass after RoomPerfect. I think the RP is boosting the lower frequencies, which makes sense because my LS50 Meta's are not known to have strong bass.

withoutsuit

I created a "TV" voicing with

• Overall gain: 0
  • Filter 1: Low shelf, 100, Q = 1.25, Gain = -12
  • Filter 2: Low shelf, 4670, Q = 0.6, Gain = -2
Yep, it was based on the "News" voicing. It cuts frequencies very aggressively below 120 Hz.

The "Neutral" voicing is actually quite heavy in the bass after RoomPerfect. I think the RP is boosting the lower frequencies, which makes sense because my LS50 Meta's are not known to have strong bass.
Room Perfect does boost alot - in contrary to Dirac, which is only reducing. I´ve made comparison measurements between Room Perfect and Dirac with my LS50 metas and noticed it.

curiouspeter

Room Perfect does boost alot - in contrary to Dirac, which is only reducing. I´ve made comparison measurements between Room Perfect and Dirac with my LS50 metas and noticed it.
Yeah, I read about that.

I wonder if Dirac and RoomPerfect target different curves, or if Dirac only cuts.

I think boosting the bass on the Meta's is the right thing to do. One can easily counter that with EQ anyway.

Tassin

According to Peter Lyngdorf, Dirac is targeting an ideal curve. RoomPerfect initially did the same, but they abandoned this route many years ago. RoomPerfect is said to adapt your speakers to the room. So, after RP is applied, it still preserves the characteristics of your speakers, while taming some room modes.

withoutsuit

And room perfect works only with Speakers INphase and can't handle e.g. a DBA with inverted subs (not in phase). Dirac is able to so. But, for a "regular" setup I prefer room perfect in the mids and highs.

curiouspeter

And room perfect works only with Speakers INphase and can't handle e.g. a DBA with inverted subs (not in phase). Dirac is able to so. But, for a "regular" setup I prefer room perfect in the mids and highs.
I think Dirac is also more transparent about what is going on inside. RoomPerfect does not show any graphs.

That said, if you give me graphs I will become obsessed and spend too much time on it.

Tassin

That's why I installed REW and bought a UMIK-1. Endless nights of measuring ...

Tassin

Correct. Of course the output signal to the speakers will be converted to analog. But, if you feed the 1120 a digital signal, it will be processed and amplified in the digital domain.

Alonso28

Not really, the TDAI uses a filter from PCM to PWM. PWM also only takes up one digital output pin to emulate an analog signal while a DAC commonly takes up to 3 or 4 output pins. Said in other words, the signal remains almost intact

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Most of it is marketing anyway right?

I mean IRL it gets you a fine amplifier but as I understand it nothing really special let alone SOTA. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Alonso28

I think SOTA is important and interesting because it makes us evolve, lead us to find different and maybe more advanced ways to get a better product with more features, something we are used each time more with all our personal devices as callejones. SOTA by itself is nothing I think, it has strong bases on the old school of making great devices, and the pursuit to emulate or even improve some components and technologies.. Of course this is something that is not always achieved, and takes some time to get something special in another way. Old school , I mean tubes and a class or ab class components (speaking of amps), are still the first choice fore most because of its reliability. 8 years ago ID never have bought a D class amp, just notgood enough. Now we have amazing equipments achieving very high standards and New technologies. 2 worlds for different trastes.

curiouspeter

I mean IRL it gets you a fine amplifier but as I understand it nothing really special let alone SOTA. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
The amp itself is as fine as any regular amplifier at the $1000-1500 price point. Room correction and streaming is worth another $1009-1500. I think it is a good deal but it is an entry-level product.

I even suspect the NAD C399 might measure better. However, as a lifestyle product, industrial design and usability are just as important. I hate BluOS. I love web-based interfaces.

Top Bottom