• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

wjvs1983

I don't think the Lyngdorf has a lower quality DAC, but if you like NAD and you're worried about power and the DAC, why not get the NAD C399? It's similar money to the TDAI-1120 (at least in Europe), has similar streaming features but a lot more power, Dirac EQ etc.
That is indeed on my short list as well, but as my c390dd has been unreliable the past 5 years having sank a lot of cost into repairs I have become hesitant about a new purchase. Then again, I may also have been unlucky with this unit or experienced early adopter issues of what was new tech at the time.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Less power
Lower quality DAC
If you read some older posts, you see some power info etc. What some people use with the TDAI-1120.

When it comes to quality of the DAC. I have only experience with the NAD M10, and I prefer the TDAI-1120. But I think it’s a matter of preference too, old doesn’t always have to be bad. But see if you can loan one to try before you buy.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you read some older posts, you see some power info etc. What some people use with the TDAI-1120.

When it comes to quality of the DAC. I have only experience with the NAD M10, and I prefer the TDAI-1120. But I think it’s a matter of preference too, old doesn’t always have to be bad. But see if you can loan one to try before you buy.
I find the TDAI-1120's DAC to be noise-free and without any obvious coloration. Transparent in other words. The product is otherwise very slick and well thought out, it has a superb web interface for configuration and control, and it's very configurable. It works well as a streamer, at least for me.

The amp is not hugely powerful but I suspect it would be fine for most use cases. I use it in a heavily sound-proofed room to drive large speakers (Paradigm Prestige F95) to very loud levels and it manages that, albeit just about.

wjvs1983

I find the TDAI-1120's DAC to be noise-free and without any obvious coloration. Transparent in other words. The product is otherwise very slick and well thought out, it has a superb web interface for configuration and control, and it's very configurable. It works well as a streamer, at least for me.

The amp is not hugely powerful but I suspect it would be fine for most use cases. I use it in a heavily sound-proofed room to drive large speakers (Paradigm Prestige F95) to very loud levels and it manages that, albeit just about.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Perhaps I should just give it a try.

Size of the loudspeakers doesn’t say everything. Yours seem highly sensitive and easier to drive (94db va 89db which is quite a difference on an exponential scale).

curiouspeter

A few questions...

How long does it take for the 1120 to automatically wake up for streaming/HDMI?

Our Powernode N330 takes a few seconds and it is annoying. Our Sonos Amp wakes up almost instantly.

Also, is the HDMI ARC mostly trouble free?

Thanks!

Tassin

I leave my 1120 in sleep mode (not deep sleep) and it comes alive as soon as you select in input (e.g. stored vTuner station) from a remote device (tablet, smartphone, pc). Same if you set Spotify to stream to the Spotify Connect of the 1120. Don't see why a few seconds delay would be annoying, but I guess that's down to personal preference.

I have no issues at all with HDMI ARC (connected to an LG OLED), but it may depend on your TV set. HDMI ARC is supposed to be an industry standard, but manufacturers have some freedom of choice which and to how to implement features. From the 1120's side, I would say the firmware is stable and there are no issues with HDMI.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I am a new 1120 owner; can anyone explain to me how to assign a vtuner station to an input?

Thanks!

Tassin

Use a web browser on a pc, tablet or smartphone and select streaming at the bottom. Select vTuner and find your station. At the left, you can select up to ten memory positions.

curiouspeter

I leave my 1120 in sleep mode (not deep sleep) and it comes alive as soon as you select in input (e.g. stored vTuner station) from a remote device (tablet, smartphone, pc). Same if you set Spotify to stream to the Spotify Connect of the 1120. Don't see why a few seconds delay would be annoying, but I guess that's down to personal preference.

I have no issues at all with HDMI ARC (connected to an LG OLED), but it may depend on your TV set. HDMI ARC is supposed to be an industry standard, but manufacturers have some freedom of choice which and to how to implement features. From the 1120's side, I would say the firmware is stable and there are no issues with HDMI.
Does sound come out immediately? The Blusound Powernode cuts out many seconds of the first song.

Thx!

mentatbashar

Not exactly apples to apples comparison but I have the MP-40 connected to a '21 Sony OLED and I have consistent problems with power mgmt between the two devices that I suspect are ARC related but not sure which device is the problem. Didn't really care to troubleshoot too deeply though.

Tassin

Does sound come out immediately? The Blusound Powernode cuts out many seconds of the first song.
Okay, I see what you mean with the annoying seconds before it starts playing. No, it's not like that with the 1120. But, first I select the 1120 as output from Spotify and it then starts playing from the moment I hit play on a track or playlist.

symphara

I use AirPlay for streaming and it’s quite quick to start. Especially compared to my Electrocompaniet which takes a while, the Lyngdorf isn‘t annoying at all. A few seconds. If you want, I will be at the location this weekend and I can time it.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I’m intrigued by this unit’s crossover abilities.

Clearly it’s more of a black box than say something miniDSP, but could it in theory serve as a crossover for a stereo pair of two-way active speakers? I guess like a 2.2 configuration but then with (powered) woofers instead of subwoofers and a crossover point in the kHzs?

Tassin

Wow, why would you do that? So, you mean like 2 passive speakers and 2 active speakers connected to the sub-outs? It is technically possible to set the crossover for both pairs at any frequency you like (unlimited), as well as filter and filter type. You can also create voicings to adjust EQ to your taste.

1658831972497.png

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
So, you mean like 2 passive speakers and 2 active speakers connected to the sub-outs?
Tweeters and powered woofers respectively. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for the screenshot and the description. Exactly what I was hoping for!

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
One question about the screenshot if I may…

While the distances can be set individually per speaker L vs. R, a Custom EQ cannot, correct? So in say a dual sub scenario, one is not able to specify a different curve for each subwoofer right? Or is there perhaps a way to unlocks this?

Tassin

Correct. The settings apply to both subs.

curiouspeter

Just bought one today and got RoomPerfect set up. So far so good!

Which voicing curve do you guys use for Netflix? Dialog clarity is very good with the "News" curve, but it cuts out a lot of the bass.

Top Bottom