• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LXmini Setup: Best DAC/Amp Combo with TV and Bluetooth Compatibility

simba

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, and I'm excited to be a part of this community. Over the past few months, I've been delving into the world of audio science and learning about the components involved in a setup. However, I still consider myself a noob in this field, and I'd love to receive some advice from those more knowledgeable.

I've started my audio setup with the LXmini speakers, paying homage to Siegfried Linkwitz's design, and I want to ensure I'm using these speakers to their full potential. For analog input, I have the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO turntable and a Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 Ultra preamp.

The part that's puzzling me is the decision on the DAC/Amp combination. I also want my system to have TV and Bluetooth (Spotify) connectivity. I have been looking into different miniDSP's and have a hard time understanding what would be the best option in current scenario.

The original setup recommends miniDSP 2x4 HD, yet if I am correct the same can be achieved via miniDSP Flex which has also Bluetooth availability. In current scenario, miniDSP Flex HT would be a great option for HDMI input but it is still not released as of this moment. Thus if I understand correctly, in either case, for TV signal into miniDSP I would need to use an amplifier with stereo pre-amp digital output.

My main question is: which would be better used as a receiver - the miniDSP or the amplifier?

I'm building the system inside a small off-grid cabin with electricity consumption in mind and have a budget of 1000-1500 EUR.

I'd appreciate any recommendations and advice to learn more about it and find the missing pieces.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you're not planning on adding subs and/or headphones you only need the 4 channels. The Flex should be a good option and seems to have your input needs covered - stereo analog, bluetooth and the optical that I expect you can use from the TV. If it doesn't have an optical output see the HDMI extractor reviews. Pick some amps according to taste or budget - A07 (tape/blutak to stop accidental volume changes), audiophonics nCore or something.

I'd also look at the Hypex FusionAmps - they're about as cheap as you can get nCore amps, with DSP thrown in as a bonus - add the IR remote module for control. You'd need to add a bluetooth receiver with an optical or coax output, and a digital input switch, plus maybe a learning remote. Download the manual from Hypex to see the connection options.

There are some more DIY options if that's your sort of thing.

OP
S

simba

Thank you for the reply. This is an excellent recommendation. I did not initially realize the availability of optical input on Flex to connect the TV. I have researched a bit and think the best combo would be miniDSP Flex with Audiophonics MPA-S250NC (in case it is an overkill then S125NC).

The miniDSP Flex comes in three versions - Digital, Unbalanced (RCA) and Balanced (TRS). Similarly the Audiophonics offers the amplifier in both RCA and XLR. I was considering both as RCA but I am not sure. Should I prefer one over another?

I am excited to try more DIY projects but want to experiment with it in later stages once more educated.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Usually RCA doesn't cause problems in domestic settings, but sometimes people have problems with ground related noise (ground loops causing hum, 'USB noise' with computers). If properly implemented, balanced interconnects are immune to that issue. In a pro setting it's worth the extra to have things 'Just Work' instead of spending time fault finding. If you'll have everything close together connected to the same mains outlet then RCA probably won't be a problem. Place your bet...

For future reading you can have a look at the various CamillaDSP threads for DSP on a Pi or other computer. For crossovers this is usually combined with a semi-pro USB multichannel audio interface. There's also a thread about a modular DIY class D amp with DSP but I can't find it right now...

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t know of a way for a non-expert to configure the dsp settings on the hypex plate amps. i know for sure that the settings for the 2x4hd can be entered manually into the flex and work just fine. stick with the flex.

if I were building this setup again, I would use the newest Topping stereo amp, 2 of them. Yes, I know the first PA5 had reliability issues.

i, too, would stick with balanced, but my current setup for the lx521 isn’t, and I have no ground loop issues.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It wasn't that hard to figure out the differences in terminology between the miniDSP settings in the instructions and the Hypex software. In my case it's a lucky find DLCP and UcD180s but the software is the same. Getting the software to work when you don't have Windows is much more challenging ;-) If anyone did want to go the Hypex route and couldn't work it out for themselves I'd be happy to give some pointers without giving the actual settings away - although you can get most of the way there from the documentation for Pass's analog crossover and the presentation at AmpCamp.

TasTinker

Hi. my first post also
I have an Lx mini clone (Visaton B80 + Wavecore W152) + subs running through a pair of Hypex plate amps. Very pleased so far :)
Hypex DSP plate amps are a great all in one dsp-amp package with a quite competent DAC, internal balanced connections and only a little more $ if you want the option of 3 way to add subs or split the M-T side.
Note all the Hypex DSPs appear to use the same 3 way DSP module, so you should theoretically be able to add a 3rd channel later to a 2 way plate amp. (I've also done that with their DSP modules in an integrated amp)
The Hypex DSP has a variety of digital and analogue inputs and you can switch between them with the remote. From memory it will auto select the active input. You could also use a smart TV for the streaming sound to reduce the number of inputs.
If cost is the limiting factor a mini DSP 2 way and pair of lower cost Class D modules should however be a fair bit cheaper.
Should you decide to go with the Hypex I'm happy to assist with understanding the Hypex operation and to add to Somebodyelse's comment, suggest you study the Linkwitz design info if you are going to play with anything beyond his exact setup.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi. my first post also
I have an Lx mini clone (Visaton B80 + Wavecore W152) + subs running through a pair of Hypex plate amps. Very pleased so far :)
Hypex DSP plate amps are a great all in one dsp-amp package with a quite competent DAC, internal balanced connections and only a little more $ if you want the option of 3 way to add subs or split the M-T side.
Note all the Hypex DSPs appear to use the same 3 way DSP module, so you should theoretically be able to add a 3rd channel later to a 2 way plate amp. (I've also done that with their DSP modules in an integrated amp)
The Hypex DSP has a variety of digital and analogue inputs and you can switch between them with the remote. From memory it will auto select the active input. You could also use a smart TV for the streaming sound to reduce the number of inputs.
If cost is the limiting factor a mini DSP 2 way and pair of lower cost Class D modules should however be a fair bit cheaper.
Should you decide to go with the Hypex I'm happy to assist with understanding the Hypex operation and to add to Somebodyelse's comment, suggest you study the Linkwitz design info if you are going to play with anything beyond his exact setup.
the minidsp dsp settings are not compatible with the hypex settings. if you run the lxmini with the hypex dsp, you will not get the curves specified for the lxmini.

Top Bottom