• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A40 all in one amp 2024

onionears

I have tested Sabaj a30a and loxjie A40 head to head. Sabaj sounded a little bit better but I had to really really pause and play the exact same short samples of music several times in a row to actually hear and name the difference. Ie the vocals on Sabaj sounded a little bit more natural. Overall you can hear the difference but for twice the price, for me it isn't worth it yet, especially that I usually don't listen on high volume levels.

Comparing loxjie A40 to loxjie A30 it is completely different sound. Speed and precision of bass, space and depth - this upgrade is worth a penny.

After having loxjie a30 for two years I have sold it and tested, smsl al200, smsl ao300, sabaj a30a and finally loxjie A40 and I am keeping the last one.

Speakers: bookshelf elac carina.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet you never did any level matching…

grogi.giant

How do you do that

You need a universal multimeter.

Connect one amplifier to your speakers. Play a 1 kHz tone on volume that will be used for comparison. Measure the AC voltage at the speaker terminals.

Now connect second amplifier. Play the same test tone and adjust the volume to get same voltage.

Now, you have them level matched. You can play your test material.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you do that
Well, there you go… if you didn’t do that, it basically invalidates any comparisons you made.

If you don’t level match, any difference you heared may be attributed to the differences in level. Human hearing isn’t linear. We hear the spectrum differently depending on level:
1707200097184.png

If not level matched to within about .2 of a dB, basically all betts are off. Never mind if the amps are not in the same room at the same time.

You also knew what was playing, and therefore unconscious biases play a huge role. Get a friend to help you do a bind test:

onionears

I did blind test with my wife, we had exact same impression. I have also leveled volume on both amps using some simple app on the phone. Room and positioning was the same. It was the best I could do, and so am I sharing my conclusiona.

G-Can

That is not good enough.
ok, that is just plain BS.
no matter the volume level I play music at, one set sounds better at any level. I dont need level matching and complicate my life with that.

but I did do something else, I used Db meter actually. Played same part of song, measured DB level and adjusted accordingly.

I mean, its not like we are imagining things, I have heard this from other people, other reviewers, coming back with same conclusions. V3 sounds flat and less dynamic.
Maybe thats how it should be, but in head to head, A0300 just sounded so much more playfull,open, and dynamic. I dont really care why, but I prefer the music signature it outputs.

G-Can

I did blind test with my wife, we had exact same impression. I have also leveled volume on both amps using some simple app on the phone. Room and positioning was the same. It was the best I could do, and so am I sharing my conclusiona.
one thing you will realize soon, is that around here, lots of members have hard time hearing different perspectives and experiences other then theirs. If you haven't analyzed every single smallest variable and posted graphs and measurements, your opinion is worthless.
Accept it before you get in trouble with admins.

grogi.giant

no matter the volume level I play music at, one set sounds better at any level. I dont need level matching and complicate my life with that.

but I did do something else, I used Db meter actually. Played same part of song, measured DB level and adjusted accordingly.

I mean, its not like we are imagining things, I have heard this from other people, other reviewers, coming back with same conclusions. V3 sounds flat and less dynamic.
Maybe thats how it should be, but in head to head, A0300 just sounded so much more playfull,open, and dynamic. I dont really care why, but I prefer the music signature it outputs.

I will tell you my experience. Not much time ago I purchased a ax730 Yamaha amplifier. Almost broke my back bringing it back. I've connected it to my floorstanging Ergo speakers and OMG, what a treat. The improvement over the tiny Aiyima was absolutely massive, and easy to hear. A deaf would hear the difference.

I did not want to settle on just feelings... I designed a blind test that allowed me quickly switch between them (within 10-15 seconds) and compare and rate the two (and one other low-end AB amplifier) without actually knowing which one was playing and without knowing which one was which in previous listening test (so that I would avoid selection bias). I did level match all amplifiers to 1% voltage difference and tested them on 15 tracks...

The results were astonishing... Once I did not know which amplifier was playing, the obvious differences magically disappeared. I wasn't able to tell any differences, but still decided to pick best one just based on the feeling. When I tallied the results I was surprised to see that I picked Yamaha 9 times and Aiyima 8 times. So there was minor differences indeed and the cheap amplifier was at disadvantage, but nothing really between adult AB-Class and baby D-Class.

Since I sold the Yamaha, as it consumed 10x the power and much more space.

Do well controlled, blind tests. Our hearing is flawed a lot and is very very VERY easily influenced by visual queues.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good morning everyone, it seems that this amplifier and the SMSL Ao300 are a sort of twin brothers with some differences, but I haven't been able to understand or find anywhere if this loxjie also has the option to high pass filter the speakers and send the rest to the Sub output. If the feature was present I would be intrigued

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is by no means accurate enough. You'll have to get within less than .5 dB for these kinds of comparisons. You cannot do that with a dB meter while playing music. Even with test tones it going to be very hard to pull that off.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Proves nothing, and renders your conclusions baseless

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

THIS is bullshit.
Statements like this, made without any control, any real volume leveling, continue to fuel those audiophile urban legends that we are tired of. This is your experience, you like it that way, that's fine, but no one here is interested in yet another subjective opinion based on nothing and without any control or verification. It remains your opinion. There is no objective truth behind it

Werewolf123

Hi all! Just got this baby from Amazon last night. The problem is - no native volume control on MacBook Pro (Sonoma), volume control just blocked. Solved with mqMac app, but still seems like that is not right. Does anybody know what is the problem and how to solve not involving secondary apps? Maybe some drivers or?.. Thanks!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all! Just got this baby from Amazon last night. The problem is - no native volume control on MacBook Pro (Sonoma), volume control just blocked. Solved with mqMac app, but still seems like that is not right. Does anybody know what is the problem and how to solve not involving secondary apps? Maybe some drivers or?.. Thanks!
It's just that the device does not expose a volume control over USB. A lot of USB devices do this. EQMac or SoundSource will fix this for you. I haven't seen a solution that does this without needing additional tools. Here are some other pointers: https://appuals.com/cannot-adjust-volume-on-a-mac-os-x-with-external-devices/

Werewolf123

It's just that the device does not expose a volume control over USB. A lot of USB devices do this. EQMac or SoundSource will fix this for you. I haven't seen a solution that does this without needing additional tools. Here are some other pointers: https://appuals.com/cannot-adjust-volume-on-a-mac-os-x-with-external-devices/
But why on Windows 11 everything is working "out of the box"?.. Forget to mention that I have both Mac and Windows and on Windows 11 I have no problems with volume control.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But why on Windows 11 everything is working "out of the box"?.. Forget to mention that I have both Mac and Windows and on Windows 11 I have no problems with volume control.
Because they made a different design decision.. Who knows why..?

G-Can

THIS is bullshit.
Statements like this, made without any control, any real volume leveling, continue to fuel those audiophile urban legends that we are tired of. This is your experience, you like it that way, that's fine, but no one here is interested in yet another subjective opinion based on nothing and without any control or verification. It remains your opinion. There is no objective truth behind it

my hearing is what I hear. My taste buds are what tastes my food. My skin feels the air around me. My eyes see the world around me.

A0300 with its built in DAC sounds subjectivelly better then V3 with C100 DAC.

Top Bottom