• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

testp

Now TELL me my eyes are not deceiving me.

WTF is this shit? https://www.dynavoice.se/en/artiklar/ca802bt.html

How many brand names is this device sold under? Not to mention this dynavoice flavor is 2x more expensive than the Loxjie branding one. LOL

i don't know what you are talking about, i see a horse saddle being sold there...

:) yeah that is little odd, specially because that's Sweden is it not?

shellback

Audio Company
Replaced the A05 with the A30 to power the bedroom KEF Q150 setup.

VA5y8no.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
i don't know what you are talking about, i see a horse saddle being sold there...

:) yeah that is little odd, specially because that's Sweden is it not?
I will just state that this thread is also useful as a review and measurements of the apparently identical $300 Dynavoice Challenger CA802BT, in case that is not obvious

VA5y8no.jpg
Looks nice. How is the power with those inefficient 86dB speakers?

Guessing fine, but now we can just ask rather than guessing.

shellback

Audio Company
Looks nice. How is the power with those inefficient 86dB speakers?

Guessing fine, but now we can just ask rather than guessing.
The A05 actually did well with power and output. Definitely plenty loud for the bedroom.

But, I believe the Loxjie A30 is definitely a step up in terms of aesthetics, nice display, and seemed to sound more clear than the A05 utilizing bluetooth. This may be perception bias and I have no way to A/B them without switching cables back and forth.

The A30 has more than enough power and gets LOUD with the Q150's. I don't have a dB meter or anything but it's more than enough.

I plan on listening the Loxjie a lot more later today and will run both back to back to see if I can notice any changes. In all reality I probably won't be able to notice any differences but will run the wife through the gauntlet to see if she notices any perceptible differences just for fun.

EDIT: I don't know how accurate phone dB meters are but I'll give that a go with both as well.

shilent

Anyone find the main volume a little too low using USB? Because of this, my subwoofer volume is too loud even with the sub gain at its lowest.

If I use analog-in or Bluetooth, volume is fine.

To match the analog-in volume with USB, I have to set Windows volume to 62 for analog, and 95 with USB. When measuring with REW with mic at 3 feet, volume on the A30 via USB needs to be set to 26 for 75db.

Sub volume on my SMSL AD18 is fine. I'd have to increase the sub gain using the AD18.

testp

Anyone find the main volume a little too low using USB? Because of this, my subwoofer volume is too loud even with the sub gain at its lowest.

If I use analog-in or Bluetooth, volume is fine.

To match the analog-in volume with USB, I have to set Windows volume to 62 for analog, and 95 with USB. When measuring with REW with mic at 3 feet, volume on the A30 via USB needs to be set to 26 for 75db.

Sub volume on my SMSL AD18 is fine. I'd have to increase the sub gain using the AD18.

i can't comment on usb yet, cause i haven't used it, but with Bluetooth: first made a connection with phone, full volume everything was fine, then i connected with mac, i wasn't hearing any sound loud enough, i had to lower the volume on my mac a little, then it suddenly played fine (volume wise) and then set it to full again, but i believe that was Bluetooth sync issue or such... after few sessions, it works fine.

testp

The A05 actually did well with power and output. Definitely plenty loud for the bedroom.

But, I believe the Loxjie A30 is definitely a step up in terms of aesthetics, nice display, and seemed to sound more clear than the A05 utilizing bluetooth. This may be perception bias and I have no way to A/B them without switching cables back and forth.

The A30 has more than enough power and gets LOUD with the Q150's. I don't have a dB meter or anything but it's more than enough.

I plan on listening the Loxjie a lot more later today and will run both back to back to see if I can notice any changes. In all reality I probably won't be able to notice any differences but will run the wife through the gauntlet to see if she notices any perceptible differences just for fun.

EDIT: I don't know how accurate phone dB meters are but I'll give that a go with both as well.

would be interested... I'm using 4ohms dyns, volume ~20.., guess feeling little neighbor conscience...

testp

...interesting, i was looking at power supplies and noticed that power supplies have different amps reading for regions:

swd120-40072 datasheet for instance says: 5 amps for 230 volts, and 3.5 amps for 110-115 volts, so this could explain maybe the limit of power in measurements for this unit in US ... 42w x 2 = ~80 watts,..

also what caught my eye was this mean well..gst160A24-R7B, that has the same specs, not many have this 24v/6.67a spec...

Benedium

Forum Donor
...interesting, i was looking at power supplies and noticed that power supplies have different amps reading for regions:

swd120-40072 datasheet for instance says: 5 amps for 230 volts, and 3.5 amps for 110-115 volts, so this could explain maybe the limit of power in measurements for this unit in US ... 42w x 2 = ~80 watts,..

also what caught my eye was this mean well..gst160A24-R7B, that has the same specs, not many have this 24v/6.67a spec...

Woah... might that change measurements and audible performance too?

Last edited:

testp

Woah... might that change measurements and audible performance too?

i doubt it, i was just making logical assumption here.. perhaps cheaper supply's have this thing..where input voltage can determine the output amperage... again assumption.

Audio quality would stay the same regardless ( this is clean unit, i have no plans changing the supply here)

maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in here..

I tried KEF Q150 with Denon dra-800h and Loxjie A30. While it gets loud plenty with Loxjie to me it seemed the sound was cleaner (less distorted maybe) and more dynamic with the Denon. I mean by all means, the sound quality with Loxjie is okay but I think KEF speakers definitely start to shine with more robust speaker amps.

As a result, I am looking to use a pair of Dali Oberon 1 with Loxjie as my desktop setup and I will buy some more powerful amp to pair with the KEFs for my living room.

mfrey0118

I tried KEF Q150 with Denon dra-800h and Loxjie A30. While it gets loud plenty with Loxjie to me it seemed the sound was cleaner (less distorted maybe) and more dynamic with the Denon. I mean by all means, the sound quality with Loxjie is okay but I think KEF speakers definitely start to shine with more robust speaker amps.

As a result, I am looking to use a pair of Dali Oberon 1 with Loxjie as my desktop setup and I will buy some more powerful amp to pair with the KEFs for my living room.
Yeah, the Denon is obviously more powerful and can drive those KEFs. The A30 and all these mini amps in general seem more suited to nearfield desktop PC or bedroom 2.1 setups.

RikB

I find that surprising. My living room is pretty small but it (SMSL DA-8S - which is likely comparable) is driving my Rega RS3 Floorstanders extremely well. It sounds super clean to me

DosThou

Finally got mine after two months of shipping. Sounds pretty good, clean with plenty of power for Markaudio 6.5" speakers. I can attest it's at least as good if not better than I.Am.D V200 with better remote.

Despite my issue with the company, I'd still recommend this amp if it fits your need and budget. Just try to get it shipped from near you to avoid headaches. I hope SMSL/Loxjie can be better in communications and shipping from China in the future.

Ataraxia

Finally got mine after two months of shipping. Sounds pretty good, clean with plenty of power for Markaudio 6.5" speakers. I can attest it's at least as good if not better than I.Am.D V200 with better remote.

Despite my issue with the company, I'd still recommend this amp if it fits your need and budget. Just try to get it shipped from near you to avoid headaches. I hope SMSL/Loxjie can be better in communications and shipping from China in the future.

I would have ordered an A30 by now but don't really want to wait or take the chance of having delivery issues. I still have not found it in stock at a local shipper that I have confidence in. It's a shame because I have Q150's arriving shortly for my desktop and want them running asap. :)

DosThou

If you can get it shipped through express couriers like DHL, it should be better though it'll cost you and may still take upwards of two weeks (plus potential issues with returns and warranty etc.). International shipping has been generally but understandably really bad this year especially with regular registered mail shipping.

teched58

VA5y8no.jpg

Is that the Dayton Audio (parts express) DTA-2 underneath the A30 in your pix? If so, what do you think of it? Is it noisy? Thanks for any insight; I've been thinking about buying it for a desktop setup.

Shadow12347

Forum Donor

I just received mine in the mail today, and hooked it up and I did notice the sub was significantly louder than it was previously. I had plenty of room to turn it down to the right level though. That said, I am using optical, not USB.

Besides that not other volume issues. It can get plenty loud for me. I'm quite impressed... I was able to replace my fat receiver, a DAC, and a pre-amp with this little thing, and it sounds better, is smaller, and doesn't dump heat like my previous setup. Quite happy so far!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I just received mine in the mail today, and hooked it up and I did notice the sub was significantly louder than it was previously. I had plenty of room to turn it down to the right level though. That said, I am using optical, not USB.

Besides that not other volume issues. It can get plenty loud for me. I'm quite impressed... I was able to replace my fat receiver, a DAC, and a pre-amp with this little thing, and it sounds better, is smaller, and doesn't dump heat like my previous setup. Quite happy so far!
My sub was loud too. I turned the sub crossover all the way down and turned the sub volume way down. Better to have a strong signal than the other way around. If it didnt get loud enough then you are out of luck.

shilent

I just tested with optical, and it is louder than USB by a good amount. Same output as BT and analog in.

Could you, or anyone else compare the USB volume/output with one of the other inputs?

Top Bottom