• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was going to get an SMSL SA300 until I saw this. But D30 is not available for sale except from the Aliexpress China location? Aliexpress shows 2 in stock originating form China. Don't want to take the chance and wait for shipment form China, especially after reading the story above. :)

Any recommendations besides SMSL SA300 if one cannot easily acquire D30?
Amazon US shows 6 in stock currently.

Ataraxia

My bad. I thought you asked about the D30, not A30.

Still, you will probably get it sooner from Amazon than from China.

Oops! No my bad I meant to post "A30" I see now that I posted D30...

I was just hoping to get it sooner I'm turning on a new computer build sooner than that and want tbhis for my desktop. Thanks.

RikB

I was going to get an SMSL SA300 until I saw this. But D30 is not available for sale except from the Aliexpress China location? Aliexpress shows 2 in stock originating form China. Don't want to take the chance and wait for shipment form China, especially after reading the story above. :)

I saw in your later post, you meant A30. The SMSL DA-8S has the same Infineon amplifier tech, though it hasn't been reviewed here yet. It has balanced inputs but no headphone amp, no subwoofer output and only a DAC for bluetooth (no other digital inputs), so it's less of an all-in-one device compared to the Loxjie A30. I have one, it sounds great to me!

Ataraxia

I saw in your later post, you meant A30. The SMSL DA-8S has the same Infineon amplifier tech, though it hasn't been reviewed here yet. It has balanced inputs but no headphone amp, no subwoofer output and only a DAC for bluetooth (no other digital inputs), so it's less of an all-in-one device compared to the Loxjie A30. I have one, it sounds great to me!

I'll definitely look into it I won't use a headphone jack anyway, and also don't plan on adding sub. I liked the A30 because it had the Infineon and Sabre DAC. I'm not against a separate DAC but would be nice to just keep it all in one. I guess the main thing I was looking for is a well engineered unit with the Infineon chip.

Edit... And optical or USB input. I'm using a computer and would like to use optical or usb out, trying to keep DAC with amp but may change my mind...

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Had the A-30 (3 day delivery via Amazon UK) now for three days. It's getting its signals analog from a HifiBerry Dac2 and powers two big old KEF 105.1 floor (well, wheel) standers. The KEFs are rated 86dB at 8 Ohm. No issues with power in my listening room, have not had to crank the unit up at all. Marvellous little thing.

Ataraxia

Had the A-30 (3 day delivery via Amazon UK) now for three days. It's getting its signals analog from a HifiBerry Dac2 and powers two big old KEF 105.1 floor (well, wheel) standers. The KEFs are rated 86dB at 8 Ohm. No issues with power in my listening room, have not had to crank the unit up at all. Marvellous little thing.

Nice, thank you. I think I need to just wait for the A30 to arrive at US Amazon in a week or so. Have you tried the internal DAC also?

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Nice, thank you. I think I need to just wait for the A30 to arrive at US Amazon in a week or so. Have you tried the internal DAC also?

Nope. Quite happy with analog input, and the RPi is set up as DAC at present

testp

Buy from Audiophonics, i think they ship to anywhere? i got one really fast, but in europe

testp

Frankly I'm quite surprised what this thing does...

they say amplifier itself does very little to the sound, and i thought my good'ol speakers were lacking all sorts of things, detail/treble and such,

but this thing makes the sound in my room very detailed with nice midrange, yet bass is also there, so I've been living with a shiity amp for 15 years not knowing it.. :)

dominikz

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity - has anyone tried to measure output impedance of speaker outputs on the Loxije A30?

S.M.S.L. SA300 (which seems to be based on the same Infineon chip) was measured by Archimago, and looking at the frequency response graph when loaded with a speaker, it seems to me SA300 output impedance lands somewhere between 0,15-0,3 Ohm (i.e. damping factor between ~25-55). Suppose A30 would be in that same area too.

shellback

Audio Company
Hoping my order comes with the appropriate power supply. If not, looks like the vendor will make good on it. For reference on my Amazon order from Hifi Booster Store:

Thanks for your order of the A30. I send this message to you in order to tell you that your parcel may be only included European power cord, but not have US power cord. This is due to an error in the packing process.

Don't worry, Please take a photo of the power cords and send it via the attachment to me. We have two options for you to choose.
1. Leave us your address, We will arrange staff to deliver the US power cord to your home from US.
2. If you have the power cord, no need us send you again, we can give you $5 refund as compensation.

mfrey0118

So I'm currently audtioning the SA300...nice little amp, decent sound, clarity, depth, etc...but I want to compare it to the A30...biggest selling point for me for A30 is more inputs (optical) and headphone jack, although TBH the sound on my AE-5 Pure is quite good so I may just leave as is with headphone output coming straight from soundcard. But has anyone been able to directly compare the two via analog out from a PC? Which sounds better/less distortion at high volume?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Funny thing about those big 300 watt McIntosh amps with accurate VU meters. You hardly ever use more than 3-5 watts. I guess my 50 sq. m room is big, but this little amp will fills it with deafening sound from my floorstanding speakers. No sweat. I don't think this thing will be underpowered in many applications.

Ataraxia

Funny thing about those big 300 watt McIntosh amps with accurate VU meters. You hardly ever use more than 3-5 watts. I guess my 50 sq. m room is big, but this little amp will fills it with deafening sound from my floorstanding speakers. No sweat. I don't think this thing will be underpowered in many applications.

It's crazy. What are the benefits of big hot class A, A/B, G, amps over these newer better class D... What kind of current is class D compared to others..?? Doess D have the guts to push through those 3.5 ohm speaker impedance dips? Gotta be a tradeoff with tiny infineon or ice power class D chips.

whazzup

It's crazy. What are the benefits of big hot class A, A/B, G, amps over these newer better class D... What kind of current is class D compared to others..?? Doess D have the guts to push through those 3.5 ohm speaker impedance dips? Gotta be a tradeoff with tiny infineon or ice power class D chips.

Yes, it will be very interesting to find out. Hopefully in the not too distant future, there can be a way to quantify this difference between 'budget' class amps and the 'higher end' amps (or lack thereof). Is the SPL impacted? Audibility of distortions or impedance dips?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
No problem with impedance dips. My Focal Aria 948s have a broad dip around 2.5 ohms and 100Hz that breaks up my tube amp but the A30 buckles down and delivers current.

I wouldnt get one of these for Magnepans or something, but for any normal listening, normal speaker, normal room, this A30 is fine.

It is actually a little crazy to me as I really just bought it for fun and now I am running it in my main system for a while because performance is there.

Top Bottom