• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Toku

Major Contributor
All I notice is potentially louder volume due to higher output voltage. Also the external dac might be less noisy than the built in realtek dac? I don't notice a huge difference really.
Even with the relatively inexpensive Topping E30, you should feel a big difference in sound quality from the built-in Realtek DAC.
If you want better sound quality, we recommend the combination of external DAC + RCA.
If you prioritize convenience, it is better to use A30 alone.

andyhwl

HELP!!! I am crying! I am having trouble with my LOXJIE A30 unit.

It is no longer outputting music to the speakers, whilst the subwoofer output is still fine.

When I got my amp, the speakers were still on order, so I borrowed a pair of speakers. The borrowed speakers were 8ohm. The new speakers, which are 4ohms. arrived recently.
I switched over to the new speakers and ended up getting periodical popping sounds, no music.
I tried these new speakers on a different amp, and they were fine.

I then switch back to the original 8ohms with the A30, and there was no music either. However, I noticed that there was a hiss on the LHS for a split second, and during that hiss, I could hear music as I play via USB. This sounds like music was electronically shut off.

I tested with USB input and BT input.

I assume matching impedance when switching 8ohm to 4ohm speakers is done digitally on-chip.

Is there a way to fix my problem here?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
HELP!!! I am crying! I am having trouble with my LOXJIE A30 unit.

It is no longer outputting music to the speakers, whilst the subwoofer output is still fine.

When I got my amp, the speakers were still on order, so I borrowed a pair of speakers. The borrowed speakers were 8ohm. The new speakers, which are 4ohms. arrived recently.
I switched over to the new speakers and ended up getting periodical popping sounds, no music.
I tried these new speakers on a different amp, and they were fine.

I then switch back to the original 8ohms with the A30, and there was no music either. However, I noticed that there was a hiss on the LHS for a split second, and during that hiss, I could hear music as I play via USB. This sounds like music was electronically shut off.

I tested with USB input and BT input.

I assume matching impedance when switching 8ohm to 4ohm speakers is done digitally on-chip.

Is there a way to fix my problem here?
An amp like this should be able to handle 4 or 8 ohm loads without changing any settings. Speaker loads are quite variable in the wild and depend on frequency, with most 8 ohm rated speakers being closer to 4 ohms most of the time. sounds like something is not connected right or something is broken. :(

andyhwl

An amp like this should be able to handle 4- or 8-ohm loads without changing any settings.
Thanks for that. I was somehow thinking that me plugging in 4-ohm speakers without resetting broke things.

...sounds like something is not connected right or something is broken. :(
Unfortunately, I think it is the latter. I am waiting for the seller on AliExpress to respond.

S3bape

Thanks for that. I was somehow thinking that me plugging in 4-ohm speakers without resetting broke things.

There is factory reset procedure described in user manual of the A30 unit. Maybe give it a try:

"Factory Reset:Connect the power cord when pressing the power button, until the screen shows the text. Then stop pressing and restart the unit."

andyhwl

There is factory reset procedure described in user manual of the A30 unit. Maybe give it a try:

"Factory Reset:Connect the power cord when pressing the power button, until the screen shows the text. Then stop pressing and restart the unit."
Yes I have tried that. No joy. :(

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes I have tried that. No joy. :(
A30 is a BTL output amplifier. The speaker wiring must always be independent.
Is there a point where the wiring of the left and right speakers is connected in common?
Also, is the speaker wiring connected to the other system on one side in common?

andyhwl

A30 is a BTL output amplifier. The speaker wiring must always be independent.
Is there a point where the wiring of the left and right speakers is connected in common?
Also, is the speaker wiring connected to the other system on one side in common?
Hi Toku! The wirings are independent in both cases.

alberto1069

Just to report an update after a few weeks of listening paired with the DBR-62s, I have to say that is quite amazing the power that this little beast delivers to the speakers without even getting warm after few listening hours.
I keep the volume always below 34 that is more than enough for normal listening in the living room.
The DBR can delivery very pleasant sound and enjoyable bass.
With good recodings they are almost perfect, bringing the live effect and plenty of details.
One Thing I noticed anyway is with some "trash pop" music the mids get woofy and smear, but I don't understand if it is related to the creation of resonance with the furniture where I placed the speakers; I am going to try some support to decouple the speakers from the furniture.
Also regarding the use with movie/videogames I can totally recommend this configuration.

S3bape

Just to report an update after a few weeks of listening paired with the DBR-62s, I have to say that is quite amazing the power that this little beast delivers to the speakers without even getting warm after few listening hours.
I keep the volume always below 34 that is more than enough for normal listening in the living room.
The DBR can delivery very pleasant sound and enjoyable bass.
With good recodings they are almost perfect, bringing the live effect and plenty of details.
One Thing I noticed anyway is with some "trash pop" music the mids get woofy and smear, but I don't understand if it is related to the creation of resonance with the furniture where I placed the speakers; I am going to try some support to decouple the speakers from the furniture.
Also regarding the use with movie/videogames I can totally recommend this configuration.

Thanks for the valuable info. Does anyone else have any successful pairing experience with speakers for this unit? I’m still looking for a desktop nearfield solution for my Loxjie. I mostly listen to music, Netflix and YouTube goes second. I'm thinking about Emotiva B1+ for this task, but any suggestions are more than welcome.

ctakim

Forum Donor
I'm running the SoundArtist LS3/5a off the Loxjie A30 as a near field desktop computer system, because I wanted to experience the BBC sound. But the Emotiva B1+ measured well at another site recently. This is really the perfect computer amp IMHO.

JohnnyN

Even with the relatively inexpensive Topping E30, you should feel a big difference in sound quality from the built-in Realtek DAC.
If you want better sound quality, we recommend the combination of external DAC + RCA.
@Toku, thank you—that’s interesting. So adding a DAC like the Topping E30 should help with volume issues experienced through USB input, while improving sound? The price for the two is around $310. Would you still consider that a good value? This is for 2-channel stereo in a living room.
@Toku, most of this is over my head, so excuse the rudimentary question. From reading through all this, it sounds like a better DAC like the Topping E30 into the analog inputs of the Loxjie A30 will result in better sound quality than USB and also eliminate the lower volume level issue experienced when using the USB. I'm thinking of purchasing an E30 to try this out, but earlier it was said that the DAC and the Loxjie A30 need to be level matched in order to achieve superior sound quality--is that true and what would that entail?

Also, now that I'm considering going this path, I wonder if going with an ICE 125ASX2 amp like this or this with the E30 would be better suited for my purpose (to drive a pair of 86db speakers in a living room/kitchen area)? Wondering since I wouldn't be using the USB DAC, the headphone out, or the subwoofer out of the Loxjie...

ctakim

Forum Donor
@Toku, thank you—that’s interesting. So adding a DAC like the Topping E30 should help with volume issues experienced through USB input, while improving sound? The price for the two is around $310. Would you still consider that a good value? This is for 2-channel stereo in a living room.

@Toku, most of this is over my head, so excuse the rudimentary question. From reading through all this, it sounds like a better DAC like the Topping E30 into the analog inputs of the Loxjie A30 will result in better sound quality than USB and also eliminate the lower volume level issue experienced when using the USB. I'm thinking of purchasing an E30 to try this out, but earlier it was said that the DAC and the Loxjie A30 need to be level matched in order to achieve superior sound quality--is that true and what would that entail?

Also, now that I'm considering going this path, I wonder if going with an ICE 125ASX2 amp like this or this with the E30 would be better suited for my purpose (to drive a pair of 86db speakers in a living room/kitchen area)? Wondering since I wouldn't be using the USB DAC, the headphone out, or the subwoofer out of the Loxjie...
Took your advice and tried the Loxjie A30 with analogue inputs fed by my Topping D10s DAC. The musical source was Roon/Qobuz USB output from a MacMini and I compared this with the direct USB output fed directly to the Loxjie A30's internal DAC. To my middle aged ears, the only difference that I could discern was noticing that the volume was 3 or 4 settings louder using the analogue inputs from the D10s vs. the direct USB inputs. But I could not detect a difference in sound quality based upon my very limited, untrained ears. Probably not a surprise since DACs at the upper part of Amir's rating scale are probably not audibly discernible, but your alls mileage may vary!

Toku

Major Contributor

Above all, I recommend you to actually compare it yourself.
A cheaper DAC such as E30 or D10s is sufficient for comparison.
Even if you don't get the results you want, the experience is your property.

I am 69 years old now. But I can clearly see the difference in sound between the internal DAC and the external DAC, and the difference is big for me.
However, I have been engaged in product development as an engineer at a Japanese telecommunications equipment company for a long time. In particular, ears trained in product evaluation may be more sensitive to differences in sound than ordinary people. But I don't have the ears of performance like an audiophile.

JohnnyN

Above all, I recommend you to actually compare it yourself.
A cheaper DAC such as E30 or D10s is sufficient for comparison.
Even if you don't get the results you want, the experience is your property.

I am 69 years old now. But I can clearly see the difference in sound between the internal DAC and the external DAC, and the difference is big for me.
However, I have been engaged in product development as an engineer at a Japanese telecommunications equipment company for a long time. In particular, ears trained in product evaluation may be more sensitive to differences in sound than ordinary people. But I don't have the ears of performance like an audiophile.
@Toku, thanks for sharing and for the advice. I have another question about what seems to be a debatable topic, based on what I've seen on other threads. I don't want to steer this thread way off-topic by asking, but here it goes: I'm not using the Loxjie A30 in a desktop, near-field situation. I'm using it for a living room/kitchen area for a pair of 86db bookshelf speakers. My question is: Are there benefits to a more powerful amplifier, aside from the ability to play at louder volumes with less distortion? In other words, would sound quality also be better at lower volumes with a more powerful amplifier?

JohnnyN

HI guys,

As it is impossible to buy loxjie a30 - what do you think about combo:
topping e30 https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/434825.html and
topping pa3 amp https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/398296.html
The only thing is missing is bt as I don't need the headphone output.
Maybe it is possible to add bt here too.
HI guys,

As it is impossible to buy loxjie a30 - what do you think about combo:
topping e30 https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/434825.html and
topping pa3 amp https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/398296.html
The only thing is missing is bt as I don't need the headphone output.
Maybe it is possible to add bt here too.
Haven't heard either and there aren't measurements here, but, FYI, the SMSL DA-8S and the SMSL SA300 both use the same Infineon chip as the Loxjie A30. It's also been said here that the SMSL and Loxjie brands are both owned by the same company (though design and manufacturing at the two brands are separate).

Another route, based on Amir's reviews: Aiyima A07 (or a similar amp with the TPA3255 chip) + the Topping D50s DAC, which has bluetooth.

Toku

Major Contributor
Sabaj has released an A10a amplifier using the infineon MA12070 chip. The input is RCA only, but the SMPS power supply is built-in.
It is a sibling model of SMSL SA300 and Loxjie A30.
http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=80

At the same time, DAC and headphone AMP were released as A10 series.

Attachments

• A10a-1.jpg
    A10a-1.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 280
  • A10a-2.jpg
    A10a-2.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 287
  • A10a-3.jpg
    A10a-3.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Top Bottom