• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Upped

I have my A30 at the bottom of my E30 L30 stack and never had any problem with hissing

kernelpanic

The A30 combines the amplifier chip of the MA12070 with the electronic volume of the NJW1194.
NJW1194 is an analog type electronic control volume IC. The ladder resistor is used for the volume circuit.
The A30 does not have an EQ function. In addition to volume control, the NJW1194 also has an analog type tone control built-in. The only feature you think of as an EQ is the pre-made preset values for this tone control.

At first glance, the A30 seems to have a built-in digital volume and digital EQ, but it is all made of analog circuits. It's just a digital control of those settings.
Thanks for the info. That is very interesting and great news if it is true! I wonder if this is the case for the other MA12070 devices like the Sabaj A10a, SMSL SA300/DA8S, etc...

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for the info. That is very interesting and great news if it is true! I wonder if this is the case for the other MA12070 devices like the Sabaj A10a, SMSL SA300/DA8S, etc...
Yes, that's right.
The Sabaj A10a and SMSL SA300 / DA8S all have the same design.
In the first place, Sabaj and Loxje are the same group companies as SMSL and share the technology and parts used.

As additional information, DA-8s, DA-9, SU-8, etc. are SMSL products planned and sold by Shenzhen Audio.

Toku

Major Contributor
The aluminum case of LOXJE's A30 D30 has a special trapezoidal shape, so I think the material supply and productivity are not good.

JoostE

Looking for a present for a friend of mine. Is this still the cheap DAC/AMP to get? Looking for a device with USB and Optical input and speaker out. Bluetooth/streaming is a big pro.

He will be using it for his living room setup, but I think even 40W should be enough for almost any setup.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking for a present for a friend of mine. Is this still the cheap DAC/AMP to get? Looking for a device with USB and Optical input and speaker out. Bluetooth/streaming is a big pro.

He will be using it for his living room setup, but I think even 40W should be enough for almost any setup.
It remains what I recommend under $200 or so, and especially for a bedroom, small apartment, or TV stereo setup.

There are some classic 17 inch class AB amps with more power at this price, but they won't have the features, DAC performance / SINAD. It is a sweet little amp. I have been running my huge Focal Aria 948 floorstanding speakers in my main listening room with it since it arrived here.

TitanFrog

Wow great news, I hope I get mine shipped from audiophonics soon then.

By the way, has anyone tested the headphone output, does it sound okay for low impedance headphones?

kniff

Wow great news, I hope I get mine shipped from audiophonics soon then.

Same, i decided to order via them instead to avoid expensive customs fees.

S3bape

in stock but at $185... is the optical in really worth the $45 over the $140 SA300? At first the A30 seems like a no-brainer but now the price tag isn't looking too hot...likely due to material shortages and a high demand driving the price up.
Actually, it's optical and headphone output that's on top over SA300. I think it's still best deal under 200$ feature wise.

Ismapics

Actually, it's optical and headphone output that's on top over SA300. I think it's still best deal under 200$ feature wise.
I did order one. lets see how long it takes to get here from China. I bet it will get here faster than my Drop Headphones from Virginia.

pwn87

how good is the dac?
my smsl da-9's dac had noticeable worse audio quality than my focusrite 2i2 2nd gen
also the loxjie has an external power supply which is a noise source on my da-9 and i wanna put it on my desk.

JoostE

how good is the dac?
my smsl da-9's dac had noticeable worse audio quality than my focusrite 2i2 2nd gen
also the loxjie has an external power supply which is a noise source on my da-9 and i wanna put it on my desk.

The SMSL only has bluetooth as a digital source, no? While the focusrite doesn't have bluetooth afaik? So are you comparing a USB input vs a bluetooth input?

pwn87

The SMSL only has bluetooth as a digital source, no? While the focusrite doesn't have bluetooth afaik? So are you comparing a USB input vs a bluetooth input?
yeah but i see no reason why bluetooth itself would degrade sound quality.
i can see that a dedicated soundcard probably has a better dac but that me noob can actually hear the difference is crazy.
About the Loxjie I heard that it has a pretty decent dac, but i'd like to know if it is actually better than the da-9

JoostE

yeah but i see no reason why bluetooth itself would degrade sound quality.
Do you have any reason to believe that? because it really does make a pretty big difference, at least if you are using anything below bluetooth 5.0

About the Loxjie I heard that it has a pretty decent dac, but i'd like to know if it is actually better than the da-9
I honestly don't know anything about the DAC in the DA-9, but since it is build into a bluetooth component, I don't have high hopes for it. I really think these are going to be hard to compare. But honestly, if you are looking to upgrade just because you want a DAC, you might want to just look into a cheap dongle dac.

ShuttleX

Thanks to Amir and Zeos I have radically changed my system to fit my needs better.
I bought a Loxjie on ebay (probably from someone here or a zeos viewer) since in late March none were available retail. Not too bad of a gouging price, thanks guy.
Anyway I had a Yamaha tsr-7850 + Jamo s803 5.0 + atmos speakers for a 7.1.2 setup that i liked sometimes. Wife did not like it,cat no like, neighbor no like at decent volumes. So I never really got to use it. The living room is smallish too. As a test I deleted all the surround speakers from the Yamaha menu and watched Beverly Hills Cop in 2.1, and it was amazing, soundtrack was a pleasure to listen to, dialog was easy to understand, and there were occasional and appropriate "surround sound " effects sometimes! At the time I wasn't sure if it was my bias, or that an old movie was geared towards simpler audio, or that it just worked that well. Several days of movies, Netflix, and Spotify later with the Yamaha 2.1 and now the Loxjie a30 has me set on 2.1 for my main audio for now. Everything just sounds more clear and natural. After months of goofing around with the ypao, manual settings, speaker replacement and placement, I never did truly love the experience. Dialog was the worst, often not loud enough and or sounding strained, and then soundtrack or effects would swoop in and crush it. Maybe it was the environment and the wife/neighbor constraints, maybe it was the surrounds and Jamo s 81 center not keeping up with the s 803, my settings/setup, idk.

I do know that the Loxjie a30 + s 803 set up in place now has beautiful and balanced music, soundtrack, and dialog presentation that pleases the whole family. It is also insane getting rid of 7 speakers, 7 runs of wire, and clearing off cubic feet of space off the entertainment center. So much cleaner setup without losing capabilities that we care about. The loxjie has no problem filling the room due to their output and the size of the room.

Thanks again Amir, reviewers, and people here asking questions and giving inputs, it helped me greatly.

Pros:everything
Cons: with my head down near the power brick to hook things up, I heard it squealing a little, not audible at any other distance.

I just registred to thank you so much. i have Jamo S803 just arrived from amazon and waiting to get my A30 ordered 14 days ago. I was even looking to buy the jamo s808 sub to fit. The S803 replaced my 7.1 that i was using with tv. Really clear dialog and great atmosphere. Do you still use atmos modules? what sub do you have? Thanks in advance

Top Bottom