• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low-frequency Hum in my house.

chuckt62

Editor

Holmz

Major Contributor
Measuring below 20 Hz with conventional consumer microphones is tricky, in my limited experience. Some may have filters in place, to block that range because it is inaudible. Also, readings there can be caused by DC currents/offsets. Unfortunately, I don't have much advice on how to circumvent these issues. But your approach of taking reference measurements elsewhere is certainly plausible

What are some good mics for low freq?
And are any relatively cheap?

if there is a list somewhere, that would be dandy.

DASH

I would expect the phenomenon to be mostly social, pushed by social media. I don't doubt that people hear various noise sources. But I think some initial reports will have triggered other people to notice similar noises in the first place. Their reports than add to the "wave". I highly doubt those noises have a common cause. It's probably vastly different origins.

Any impact on health is most likely on mental health - being stressed by something that is annoying and that you can't control. Mental health is still health, though - I would just be cautious about inferring direct impacts on physical health, as those suspicions and fears by themselves will increase the mental impact of the noise and make it more taxing on your mental state.

Measuring below 20 Hz with conventional consumer microphones is tricky, in my limited experience. Some may have filters in place, to block that range because it is inaudible. Also, readings there can be caused by DC currents/offsets. Unfortunately, I don't have much advice on how to circumvent these issues. But your approach of taking reference measurements elsewhere is certainly plausible.

I will state the obvious: People are known to catch a cold in the winter. I think you are vastly over-interpreting things, there. This loops back to my above comment about mental health: Relax (although it may be difficult), lower your stress level, investigate objectively.
Great points however I do feel your being a little dismissive, much like those generic articles I mentioned in my earlier post. This phenomenon has been measured by multiple local government councils in the UK. It's the source which for some reason is proving difficult to locate. I have to wonder though if the typical dismissive response being pushed in some national press outlets is just journalistic cynicism or is it encouraged to silence further investigation?

DASH

What are some good mics for low freq?
And are any relatively cheap?

if there is a list somewhere, that would be dandy.
Blue yeti. Or a kick drum Microphone maybe? No lists although this is something I'm also looking into.

RandomEar

Great points however I do feel your being a little dismissive, much like those generic articles I mentioned in my earlier post. This phenomenon has been measured by multiple local government councils in the UK. It's the source which for some reason is proving difficult to locate. I have to wonder though if the typical dismissive response being pushed in some national press outlets is just journalistic cynicism or is it encouraged to silence further investigation?
What is dismissive about my statements? I said I do believe these sounds exist and that people hear them. I just said I don't believe the recent rise in reports is correlated with more sounds being heard, but rather with more reports being made. And that I think it is much more plausible that there are multiple sources of such sounds rather than a single one. That sounds the opposite of dismissive to me.

Also, your suggestion about silencing by the media pushes your statements hard into the conspiracy theory direction. Who the hell cares if someone measures sounds to pinpoint their origin? This isn't some top secret weapons project, it's everyday things making LF sounds that people are annoyed by - fair enough.

Lambda

Major Contributor

Holmz

Major Contributor

Below 10Hz the barometer in your phone

^ Nice! ^

I used a geophone array once, but that was 15+ years ago, and they were big transducer cans.
I suppose that the geophones, as well as acoustic in conjunction might be able to augment each other.

The speed of sound in ground is pretty high, and there is dispersion as well.
But a well separated set of geophones should be able to give some direction finding…
The fact that the neighbours do not hear it, seems like it makes it somewhat an academic endeavour though…

DASH

What is dismissive about my statements? I said I do believe these sounds exist and that people hear them. I just said I don't believe the recent rise in reports is correlated with more sounds being heard, but rather with more reports being made. And that I think it is much more plausible that there are multiple sources of such sounds rather than a single one. That sounds the opposite of dismissive to me.

Also, your suggestion about silencing by the media pushes your statements hard into the conspiracy theory direction. Who the hell cares if someone measures sounds to pinpoint their origin? This isn't some top secret weapons project, it's everyday things making LF sounds that people are annoyed by - fair enough.
No worries. Given the nature of such an unusual noise In relatively recent times, it's not something you could easily confuse with someone's freezer or fan. Or a "new" form of tinnitus caused by a cold! Personally I think it's going under reported and sadly when some MSM outlets do get there hands on it they practically ridicule it without any serious investigation. Wasn't having a go. But I do believe there's cause for concern given the increase in reports.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I would expect the phenomenon to be mostly social, pushed by social media. I don't doubt that people hear various noise sources. But I think some initial reports will have triggered other people to notice similar noises in the first place. Their reports than add to the "wave". I highly doubt those noises have a common cause. It's probably vastly different origins.

Any impact on health is most likely on mental health - being stressed by something that is annoying and that you can't control. Mental health is still health, though - I would just be cautious about inferring direct impacts on physical health, as those suspicions and fears by themselves will increase the mental impact of the noise and make it more taxing on your mental state.

Measuring below 20 Hz with conventional consumer microphones is tricky, in my limited experience. Some may have filters in place, to block that range because it is inaudible. Also, readings there can be caused by DC currents/offsets. Unfortunately, I don't have much advice on how to circumvent these issues. But your approach of taking reference measurements elsewhere is certainly plausible.

I will state the obvious: People are known to catch a cold in the winter. I think you are vastly over-interpreting things, there. This loops back to my above comment about mental health: Relax (although it may be difficult), lower your stress level, investigate objectively.

I agree. if small things annoy you it is probably an anxiety issue that should be adressed in a way

DASH

I agree. if small things annoy you it is probably an anxiety issue that should be adressed in a way
I can only speak for my self. Anxiety effects people differently. I don't believe I'm suffering with anxiety in regards this low frequency hum, simply because it's been measured and many other people hear it too. You could argue I'm annoyed with the media's response which can and does influence people's opinions but this does not make me "anxious" personally. I have ways and means to keep me critical in thought and relaxed in nature. I'm a machincal engineer by trade I dont mind touching on any topic if it means learning something new. I enjoy it frankly. The problem I have is when people are ushered towards throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. Not particularly having a go at anyone on this thread. I appreciate all opinions. Was pointing out the similarities with premature conclusions in regards this recent phenomenon and the media response. The media should be very careful before drawing mental health correlations to a phenomena that clearly exists. And sadly the media in the most part has done exactly that and in doing so drawn far to many conclusions to an issue that's scientifically measurable. This phenomenon could be identified I just dont believe at the moment the desire is there to achieve that and for me personally that sets off alarm bells. Its doesn't effect my "mental health" or make me anxious for that matter it just encourages me to speak up more for myself and the many other people who are dealing with this low frequency pollution.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I can only speak for my self. Anxiety effects people differently. I don't believe I'm suffering with anxiety in regards this low frequency hum, simply because it's been measured and many other people hear it too. You could argue I'm annoyed with the media's response which can and does influence people's opinions but this does not make me "anxious" personally. I have ways and means to keep me critical in thought and relaxed in nature. I'm a machincal engineer by trade I dont mind touching on any topic if it means learning something new. I enjoy it frankly. The problem I have is when people are ushered towards throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. Not particularly having a go at anyone on this thread. I appreciate all opinions. Was pointing out the similarities with premature conclusions in regards this recent phenomenon and the media response. The media should be very careful before drawing mental health correlations to a phenomena that clearly exists. And sadly the media in the most part has done exactly that and in doing so drawn far to many conclusions to an issue that's scientifically measurable. This phenomenon could be identified I just dont believe at the moment the desire is there to achieve that and for me personally that sets off alarm bells. Its doesn't effect my "mental health" or make me anxious for that matter it just encourages me to speak up more for myself and the many other people who are dealing with this low frequency pollution.

^that^ is dandy and all, but what is the point?
People are already weighing in.

DASH

^that^ is dandy and all, but what is the point?
People are already weighing in.
Point is people and the media should pay more attention to infrasound ELF its effects on the human body and not pass it off as conspiracy talk or mental health issues. The evidence is clear, even if you can't hear it it can still effect you! Worth remembering.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Point is people and the media should pay more attention to infrasound ELF its effects on the human body and not pass it off as conspiracy talk or mental health issues. The evidence is clear, even if you can't hear it it can still effect you! Worth remembering.

OK - but let’s assume that the media is not reporting it in favour of some other banal set of stories.
It is not the responsibility of the media to do research on sound, and with 1/2 of the stories about climate change, weather, and Greta topics, why would they want to run a story that is in opposition to all that?
They are in the business of making money through advertisement,. Etc.

The windmill companies are also not likely to entertain every person that wants some study of low frequency sound.

And like a car race track, prison, or nuclear power plant… the majority do not want this in their stuff in their backyard.

The OP posted a bunch of statements and asked questions.
People are weighing in.

That is about all that we can do, without requesting that media, government, or a company, do something that they have no incentive or reason to do.
Bitching about the media, is a waste of time here (IME).

RandomEar

Yeah, that wind turbine study was bullshit. They've known about it for years and took until mid 2021 to finally admit it. See here. Bottom line: The measurements were off by a factor of 4000 due to a trivial calculation error. There's no significant amounts of infrasonic noise generated by wind turbines.

DASH

Yeah, that wind turbine study was bullshit. They've known about it for years and took until mid 2021 to finally admit it. See here. Bottom line: The measurements were off by a factor of 4000 due to a trivial calculation error. There's no significant amounts of infrasonic noise generated by wind turbines.
Might well be but the effects of infrasound certainly isn't bull shit.

RandomEar

Might well be but the effects of infrasound certainly isn't bull shit.
Possible. I'm not well informed in that area. But you should be aware that infrasound is all around us, even in nature. It's generated mainly by the wind hitting trees and other parts of the landscape. Of course, there also will be artificial/man made sources, but it is not something that wouldn't exist without human interaction.

DASH

Possible. I'm not well informed in that area. But you should be aware that infrasound is all around us, even in nature. It's generated mainly by the wind hitting trees and other parts of the landscape. Of course, there also will be artificial/man made sources, but it is not something that wouldn't exist without human interaction.
Totally agree. From what I understand though the methods by which infrasound is regulated is completely wrong. Something to do with dBA v dB linear measurement. Dr Mariana Alves Pereira goes into great detail on this topic. See the earlier video presentation held in the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada 2019. The science is heavily underfunded and is deserving of a lot more attention given this so called electrical green revaluation being planned for us all.

Top Bottom