• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low-frequency Hum in my house.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
That's very close. Is that from my file?

yes. bath 3. lowpass, highpass, boost at 113Hz.
if this is it I would say it's a huge water pipe below your house (or it's under the road, touching a huge rock that is below your house).
would also explain why the neighbours don't hear it

OP
C

CBM

yes. bath 3. lowpass, highpass, boost at 113Hz.
if this is it I would say it's a huge water pipe below your house (or it's under the road, touching a huge rock that is below your house).
would also explain why the neighbours don't hear it
That makes more sense than anything else we have heard. We had a freeze here a few weeks ago and there are still water mains under our street that are leaking. There is a manhole in front of my house. Maybe I can pick up the noise there. Thank you so much for your analysis.

OP
C

CBM

WOW!!!

The level of knowledge and willingness to share it, in this forum is off the scale!! Kudos!!
Yeah. But now I have to go in the street and put my ear on a manhole cover. Watch out for that car!

mSpot

Yeah. But now I have to go in the street and put my ear on a manhole cover. Watch out for that car!
Also listen to plumbing in the house and notice whether the hum is especially strong compared to floors and walls. It would be a sign that it is the path conducting the hum into the house. If it is the source, there are ways to isolate and decouple vibration in plumbing.

OP
C

CBM

Also listen to plumbing in the house and notice whether the hum is especially strong compared to floors and walls. It would be a sign that it is the path conducting the hum into the house. If it is the source, there are ways to isolate and decouple vibration in plumbing.
We borrowed a stethoscope from a friend and we did hear the noise on the pipes but also in the walls and floor. I did cut off the water at the street and opened a faucet but the noise was still there. I thought that if it was transferred through the pipes it would be dampened by the ground over about 30 feet, but maybe not.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Interesting short 10min podcast On “twenty thousand hertz regarding a mystery hum

There's this place right at the border between Detroit, MI, and Windsor, ON where there's this hum… It rattles dishes, makes people sick, it's even making people move away. And the government does not want you to know what's making it. Explore the mystery of the Windsor Hum with the man who is working to get to the bottom of this strange government secret. Featuring documentarian Adam Makarenko.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting short 10min podcast On “twenty thousand hertz regarding a mystery hum

There's this place right at the border between Detroit, MI, and Windsor, ON where there's this hum… It rattles dishes, makes people sick, it's even making people move away. And the government does not want you to know what's making it. Explore the mystery of the Windsor Hum with the man who is working to get to the bottom of this strange government secret. Featuring documentarian Adam Makarenko.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/04/8988...tery-of-windsor-hum-is-solved?t=1615796545479

JLJMD

That makes more sense than anything else we have heard. We had a freeze here a few weeks ago and there are still water mains under our street that are leaking. There is a manhole in front of my house. Maybe I can pick up the noise there. Thank you so much for your analysis.

I created a profile just to chime in here. You are experiencing exactly what I have been hearing for the last several months. I moved into a new home with my family this past December and immediately started hearing/feeling this low frequency hum. The difference is my family doesn't really hear it so I started thinking I was crazy. But after much investigation and online research, rest assured there are countless others with this same issue. The bad news here is that there doesn't seem to be many solutions other than utilizing white noise and headphones (fun way to live). I've gone through all of the steps to try to pinpoint what it is, to no avail. I live next to a water pump station and have several manhole covers and water lines next to and running under my home so that's my best guess at this point. I've even had the township come out and check the machinery but it's been no help. As I sit here writing, it's there in the background, and I can literally "feel" it in my ears. It's not tinnitus since I only hear it in this home, and I've experimented in other places and it is not present. So... what to do about it is the question. Open to suggestions other than white noise machines. It's driving me a bit mad and making me regret my move.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Open to suggestions other than white noise machines.
Move!
Its basically impossible or not feasible to get rid or isolate for very low frequency's.

Turn off Power, Gas, Water. if its still there its not coming from your house. Nothing you can realistically do about it.

JLJMD

Move!
Its basically impossible or not feasible to get rid or isolate for very low frequency's.

Turn off Power, Gas, Water. if its still there its not coming from your house. Nothing you can realistically do about it.

Yeah, can't really move again after 4 months, not really an option. But yes, it's going to be difficult to isolate, as I've done all of what you have suggested.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yeah, can't really move again after 4 months, not really an option. But yes, it's going to be difficult to isolate, as I've done all of what you have suggested.

What a huge drag... I'm really sorry you have to deal with it at all.

You may have to think of it almost as a temporary tinnitus diagnosis, that ends when you move. As someone who lives with it, if I could move and have it go away, I'd be calling my agent immediately.

Does it ever sound like it changes at all to you, or is it constant 24/7? How far do you have to go away to not hear it? Can you hear it in your car?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
+1 and -1 cancel each other out.
Why not try to attack the hum with negative hum if you know the exact frequencies?

JLJMD

What a huge drag... I'm really sorry you have to deal with it at all.

You may have to think of it almost as a temporary tinnitus diagnosis, that ends when you move. As someone who lives with it, if I could move and have it go away, I'd be calling my agent immediately.

Does it ever sound like it changes at all to you, or is it constant 24/7? How far do you have to go away to not hear it? Can you hear it in your car?

It's pretty constant at this point but I'm not sure if that's because it's always been that way or I'm just fixated on it. It's only in the house, not outside at all, although outside you have ambient noise to drown it out so perhaps I just don't notice. It's the oddest thing, and believe me I know how crazy it sounds. Apparently though, it's a worldwide phenomenon and supposedly only about 2 to 4% of the population can hear it. Which of course makes it seem all that more crazy sounding.

FreddieM

Hello,

i signed up precisely for the topic couse post and replies are great. (thanks)

I have too been hearing this "sound" for some time now, but unlike u if i "listen to the walls" or the windows i don't hear it. It looks like a standing wave (I could be wrong). I tried to record it with a lavaier mic and a rode-nt but i had no luck.

Could you recommend a microphone that is very sensitive to soft sounds and suitable for low frequencies (20-60 Hz)?

Thanks

Top Bottom