• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low-frequency Hum in my house.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
use umik and audacity to make the recording and please share :cool:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Audacity is the best freeware recording sotware with some nice analysis features. A bit tricky at start, but good help and tutorials available.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you have narrowed down that you have a mechanical vibration from the ground exciting your house creating audible noise and vibration. I suggest finding a civil engineer with some experience in structural vibration control and damping to come out and suggest remedies for damping your house structure at those frequencies. I imagine there are remediation methods where you can damp your structure based on the vibration frequency and lengths of certain walls and beams in your house that resonate at that frequency.

OP
C

CBM

Audacity is the best freeware recording sotware with some nice analysis features. A bit tricky at start, but good help and tutorials available.
Thank you. I will download it now and try a recording tonight when it seems louder.

McFly

You say you stuck your ear to the wall/floor and it got louder?
Do the same with the mic.Stethoscope styles. Record with an app that’s not voice focused, which could be possibly drowning out non-telephone band noise as mentioned above.

OP
C

CBM

I made some measurements last night using my UMIK-1 and Audacity. When I imported them into REW I see the there is a lot of variability below 300 Hz which surprised me. I expected the curves to be uniform at low frequencies. I was also disappointed that I have to get very close to my subwoofer to hear the sound, but it's there. In real life it is much louder. Anyway, I've attached some of the files taken in 2 rooms where it seems to be loudest. Tonight I will take some measurements against the walls and floor and maybe outside on the sidewalk. I'm not sure how the mic will work when it's touching a surface, but I will give it a try. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help us figure this out. It's maddening and costing us sleep.

OP
C

CBM

Oops. No files. I guess I can't attach WAV files?

dc655321

Major Contributor
Oops. No files. I guess I can't attach WAV files?

Not directly. Perhaps if you change the suffix to .txt or similar, and they are not large files?

Also, if you can average many measurements together then you will achieve some noise suppression. REW can do this for you.

OP
C

CBM

Attachments

• Master Bath Noise3.zip
    347.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Studio Noise5.zip
    342.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Studio Noise6.zip
    361.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Studio Noise7.zip
    343.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Master Bath Noise4.zip
    351.7 KB · Views: 90

Hayabusa

OK. Here are the zip files. Thanks
I looked/listened to "Master Bath Noise 3"
There is a lot of 'rumble' below 20Hz. It is not a tone, its noise like.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I guess I hear what you are refering to in Bath 3.
it is not a hum. it sounds like pipes or a vent or something like that.
didn't find anything intresting in rew

DerRoland

To finding the source of the hum you can use a long screwdriver and hold it on waterpipes/walls/streetlights and the handle direct onto your ear (hint for bearing check). Go through the house/outside/neighborhood to find the loudest spot.

OP
C

CBM

To finding the source of the hum you can use a long screwdriver and hold it on waterpipes/walls/streetlights and the handle direct onto your ear (hint for bearing check). Go through the house/outside/neighborhood to find the loudest spot.
I like that idea. The neighbors already think we're crazy. lol

OP
C

CBM

I looked/listened to "Master Bath Noise 3"
There is a lot of 'rumble' below 20Hz. It is not a tone, its noise like.
Yes. When I listen on my stereo I have to turn it up so high that I hear a lot of hiss from the mains but if I get close to the subs I can hear it.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
It's very similar but our noise seems to be lower frequency. You can almost feel it. What is this sound?

it's you bathroom 3 file, but low-passed and with 222Hz boosted. it's a resonance I heard. must be a harmonic. I will try again later

Top Bottom