• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 8th Edition

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As the title says, the 8th edition of Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is coming out. The reason I am highlighting it is that some of my measurements are included in the update! So support the author if you have any interest in the topic. I have enclosed a pdf with the details.

Attachments

• Loudspeaker Cookboox 8th Edition.pdf
    524.6 KB · Views: 2,583

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Congratulations!

I'm not planning on building speakers at the moment but independent-reliable measurements would make the book a LOT more valuable!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha. I had that book back in the late 80s in high school. I couldn't live with the idea of randomly throwing a woofer in a box for car stereo and hoping for the best. From it learned things like thiel-small parameters, QTC of enclosures, isobaric enclosures, compound isobarics, 4th order bandpass, and 6th order bandpass enclosures and would build them for friends so they could have things like small enclosures that left the car usable, but still sounded good (keep in mind this was right as long travel, small enclosure woofers were finally coming out).

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It is a good book and anyone not already familiar & into DIY ought to check out Voice Coil Magazine/Audioxpress.
The author is the main guy there. The print copy of Voice Coil is kinda fun. It is an add supported industry mag, the driver testing is quite detailed and sometimes speakers are Klippel NFS tested.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I think I have the 2nd or 3rd edition. I also used the T_S parameters to help people build car and truck subs. Heck probably 2 dozen people did that off of my using that book. Everyone super satisfied. I know there were a couple oddball Radio Shack dual voice-coil woofers that happened to fit into a reasonable size box with outsized performance. I designed them for a Q of 1.1 and everyone was happy. Of course my own was more refined built for a Q of .7 like it should be. :)

egellings

Major Contributor
As the title says, the 8th edition of Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is coming out. The reason I am highlighting it is that some of my measurements are included in the update! So support the author if you have any interest in the topic. I have enclosed a pdf with the details.
Who is the author?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for the heads-up. I just ordered a copy.

@egellings , the author is Vance Dickason.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Takes me back - in the 90s I borrowed a copy of this and used it to design a couple of speakers. Neither was that great but it was a good way to get some real knowledge and have some fun.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ordered. I'd brag about how early my original version is but I can't find it. :) Use the link and discount code in the PDF to save a fair amount of $$$.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered. I'd brag about how early my original version is but I can't find it. :) Use the link and discount code in the PDF to save a fair amount of $$$.
Yup. Saved me $25.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Useful reference but unless they added an index would not buy in print...

Pretty shameful for the price that a modern document that is not available in electronic media! :oops:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

Is this proof that great minds think alike? :p

Jim Taylor

Top Bottom