• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Passive loudspeaker designs!

Bmoze

Forum Donor
@Purite, I've also been looking at Fink's Epos and Kim models in my speaker search. I've read all the reviews posted on Fink's site for the Epos and Kim, and have found the attached additional measurements for the Kim. Maybe TeamFink will repond and provide more. These speakers, and the Sointuva are on my short list for passives, while the Sigbergs and D&D are on my actives list. I'm very interested in your comments on Sigberg's SBS 1,with the subs, when you're ready to share them.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 4.30.31 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 4.10.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 4.11.37 PM.png

Fink Kim measurements.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 4.11.37 PM.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 4.11.37 PM.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks @Bmoze .
There is a link to the Hi-Fi Critic review on the Fink sight, Martin Colloms lives just up the road from me, I will try and get hold of a copy measurements don’t look too bad just a rising treble.
I am going to write something about the SBS.1/Inkognito for my Blog but I won’t be giving anything away if I say I am incredibly impressed with them, really impressed.
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
March Audio Sointuva AWG are the best measuring passive speakers I have seen along with KEF Blade 1 & 2. But for a fraction of the price. That is why I could not get over them and bought a pair. :)
Below is the comparison I made with the very best both active and passive.

MKR

Major Contributor
@Purité Audio This will likely be heresy for the objectivists, and I may be flogged and hung upside down from a tree, but might I recommend you consider something completely different (my tribute to Monty Python ;)) … How about one of the newer planar passive designs? A fully different experience to offer your customers that may lean that way. From my SUBJECTIVE listening experience (I have no idea how they measure), I very much enjoy the offerings from Clarysis and Diptyque (both with HQ in EU, so at least in your region, makes some aspects of carrying those lines easier).

And another you may not have considered would be Legacy. Again another speaker line I am quite fond of that has a serious lack of measurements. But, subjectively and from a value aspect, I rate them very highly. Not to mention the crew at Legacy, including Bill, are down to earth good people. Not sure of their distribution in UK/EU, but maybe something for you to investigate.

Just some thoughts you may have not considered.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
@Purité Audio This will likely be heresy for the objectivists, and I may be flogged and hung upside down from a tree, but might I recommend you consider something completely different (my tribute to Monty Python ;)) … How about one of the newer planar passive designs? A fully different experience to offer your customers that may lean that way. From my SUBJECTIVE listening experience (I have no idea how they measure), I very much enjoy the offerings from Clarysis and Diptyque (both with HQ in EU, so at least in your region, makes some aspects of carrying those lines easier).

And another you may not have considered would be Legacy. Again another speaker line I am quite fond of that has a serious lack of measurements. But, subjectively and from a value aspect, I rate them very highly. Not to mention the crew at Legacy, including Bill, are down to earth good people. Not sure of their distribution in UK/EU, but maybe something for you to investigate.

Just some thoughts you may have not considered.
Thanks Mike I have heard a number of ESLs over the years, Quads, Martin Logan, a customer has those Sanders, @Duke recommended looking at Soundlab to be frank I have never been overly impressed so far.
There is also the WAF factor over here rooms are generally not that large a pair of imposing monoliths…
Keith

Reactions: MKR

staticV3

Master Contributor
Harbeth should be on any list
The one Harbeth spin that we have is really not that great:

Tilted on-axis and poorly controlled directivity with some obvious directivity mismatch between woofer and tweeter.

Is the Monitor 30 a good representative of Harbeth, or is it like a super outdated design?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The one Harbeth spin that we have is really not that great:

Tilted on-axis and poorly controlled directivity with some obvious directivity mismatch between woofer and tweeter.

Is the Monitor 30 a good representative of Harbeth, or is it like a super outdated design?
Harbeth make a speaker that isn’t an outdated design?
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Thanks Mike I have heard a number of ESLs over the years, Quads, Martin Logan, a customer has those Sanders, @Duke recommended looking at Soundlab to be frank I have never been overly impressed so far.
There is also the WAF factor over here rooms are generally not that large a pair of imposing monoliths…
Keith
Yes, big, and as they are dipoles, need room to breath. But understand many of your clients do not likely have the space to do them justice. And do note I am not referring to ESLs, rather planar ribbon based designs. Very different beasts Than ESL. I suppose all I would say is try to give a listen to Clarysis and Diptyque before ruling them out, you may be very surprised

As to WAF, Legacy designs are very attractive cosmetically, incredible cabinet work, right up there with the Wilson and Magico silliness … but much more sane pricing.

As to Magico, crazy pricing, but they do sound and measure very good. Solid engineering and I respect Magico for this. But yeah, those prices …

Theta

Any measurements for the newish Fink ‘Epos’?
Keith
Why a passive crossover if you are attempting to make a high resolution high quality (expensive speaker)?
Why make a 2 way speaker, at all, when a well designed 3 way or 4 way guaranties better results?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I will take your advice under consideration, mentioning Harbeth I sold my very first pair of 8Cs to a chap who owned Harbeths 40’s perhaps?
We set them up and Neil asked his wife which she preferred she listened briefly to both and said of the D&D,
’those are clearer and have better bass’
Which summed everything up perfectly.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Why a passive crossover if you are attempting to make a high resolution high quality (expensive speaker)?
Why make a 2 way speaker, at all, when 3 way or 4way
Don’t ask me ask Herr Fink, £12k seems rather a lot for a passive two way with limited extension to me but what do I know.
Keith

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Below is the comparison I made with the very best both active and passive.

I spent a bit of time listening to March audio speakers at an audio show last year. To me in the same setup (by Alan himself) the Ukkonen significantly bettered the Sointuva, as in after hearing both back to back it would be hard for me to settle for the Sointuva. Alan spoke along the same lines when I revisited the next day for another listen. (By the way - he is actually a great guy in person, very humble and accomodating).
But then I heard the D&D 8c in another room which was the standout of the show for me. The Ukkonen with electronics is not that far off the 8c Studio price wise. Then factor in convenience and the easier setup/integration with cardioid bass and less electronics/cables etc. , the 8c is really hard to beat.
Still, if passives are a must the March audio range is really as good as it gets.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The 8Cs are superb so if the Ukkonen are vaguely comparable…
Keith

Reactions: MKR
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes identical just lacking the streaming software.
Keith

Top Bottom