• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Passive loudspeaker designs!

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
One can wonder why this is the case. Why does no manufacturer of passive speakers seem to make as good measuring speakers as active speakers for example
Genelec. Then regarding all their models? I have a guess as to what this is due to.
I'm guessing that it's down to DSP in active monitors, which allows for far finer control and correction of driver deficiencies and the creation of crossover slopes than is possible with passive components.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As Lars Risbo let slip through FB last week, there may be in forseeable future some plans and the tweeter arriving from the SPK16 reference model.
"Working hard on getting the tweeter in production. After that we will update spk16 and publish plans. The waiting time is painful for us all
1f972.png
" (Lars Risbo, FB 17.01.2024)
That’s interesting but I don’t believe Purifi have any plans to manufacture an actual loudspeaker themselves or has that changed?
Keith

rolfrander

Forum Donor
I'm guessing that it's down to DSP in active monitors, which allows for far finer control and correction of driver deficiencies and the creation of crossover slopes than is possible with passive components.
Also, a different set of compromises. Genelec, Neumann et al don't care much about looks or WAF.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Could be a factor. If we mix money and economics into it all then you see it a little easier. It's the usual, "boring" stuff, I guess. Or the obvious, which we don't want to see: Overall market conditions, supply and demand, carve out a market niche.

Why construct good measuring passive speakers within the entire model line, if it costs more than it tastes, so to speak?
Most people don't buy passive speakers based on how they measure, so why spend money on such a construction? The manufacturer can also have premium models in their range that cover this small market demand that measuring nuts (I am one of those) have. :)
The remaining models, ...well they may measure a little here and there, fluctuate wildly up and down in FR, but potential buyers don't care about that.
(perhaps not such an original thought but reality may not be so special in this case)

Last edited:

DTTOM37

That’s interesting but I don’t believe Purifi have any plans to manufacture an actual loudspeaker themselves or has that changed?
Keith
Can't see that either atm, however, I can see manufacturer like March Audio on the forefront.
Given the prices we have seen until now, a "fully purified" front end may be available under 10K GBP and you could use DRC in the signal chain to tackle the room.
For an audiophile's market, though, I may imagine there might be a problem of acceptance due to uniformity and the rather agnostic approach.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt there is one brand which has stellar performance in all models. Stellar performane to start with: +/- 2 dB on reference axis between 50 Hz to 16000 Hz.
I think there were probably quite a few, we have very few measurements compared to the whole market. There are plenty of manufacturers that could do it, if they don't it's because they choose not to.

DanielT

Major Contributor
PMC ( just joking)
Curious about your answer. Would you sell PMC? They seem popular. If you did it even with a disclaimer that goes along the lines of: These have a special sound character (measures abysmal) that many like. Test, listen to them and decide for yourself.
Then you have not been untruthful with that statement. You just tell it how it is.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Curious about your answer. Would you sell PMC? They seem popular. If you did it even with a disclaimer that goes along the lines of: These have a special sound character (measures abysmal) that many like. Test, listen to them and decide for yourself.
Then you have not been untruthful with that statement. You just tell it how it is.
Personally I wouldn’t represent anything that didn’t measure well and offer value for money, over here in the U.K. the majority of retailers stick to the historically/heavily marketed brands I don’ blame them just easier to sell.
Even with the ‘special’ disclaimer I couldn’t in all honesty look someone in the eye and recommend them, no more than I would try and sell a boutique ethernet switch or a box of kitty litter .
Keith

DanielT

Major Contributor
Personally I wouldn’t represent anything that didn’t measure well and offer value for money, over here in the U.K. the majority of retailers stick to the historically/heavily marketed brands I don’ blame them just easier to sell.
Even with the ‘special’ disclaimer I couldn’t in all honesty look someone in the eye and recommend them, no more than I would try and sell a boutique ethernet switch or a box of kitty litter .
Keith
Superb view of HiFi sale. I'm rooting for you!:)

You know:
(without an ounce of sacrasm. On the contrary a tribute to the real thing)

"The last enthusiasts.

In the middle of roses and chlorophyll, in life's disciplined garden soil
We stand up with a tumultuous jump like the weed blasters
We are probably the last enthusiasts
Because if you gave in to the grief, no balloon was lifted with the basket
And no seagull was allowed to fly high above the masts
We are probably the last enthusiasts

Enthusiasts hit their heads in the poles (Well hey you!)
There is a mocking laugh from the prophet of woe ( ha ha ha)
A twist, a jerk and up the corks fly!
We want the last spasm, should be a spasm of enthusiasm"

Edit:
The problem lies mostly in what good sound means? Everyone, really EVERYONE thinks about this if they are going to buy a Soundbar for example. In a sharp buying situation in the store, of course everyone thinks why double, or three times or more money on X? Then some buy these more expensive ones.Even though they are not particularly interested in sound quality. Why? I do not know. Just an observation.:)

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
ASRer’s are there any European measurements for Fink loudspeakers, apparently they have a Klippel but nothing on their site apart from 35Hx-25kHz -10dB.
Thanks in advance,
Keith

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ASRer’s are there any European measurements for Fink loudspeakers, apparently they have a Klippel but nothing on their site apart from 35Hx-25kHz -10dB.
Thanks in advance,
Keith
I don't know if it's the same "Fink" you're talking about ?but Fink audio bought Epos and the ES14N doesn't measure too badly with Klippel .

"In 2020, Creek sold the Epos Loudspeaker brand to Karl-Heinz Fink, founder of German loudspeaker design company FinkTeam and also head of acoustic design consultancy Fink Audio Consulting.
Today, EPOS seems to have a new lease of life with a brand-new model: the ES14N. This is a compact 2-way / 2-driver bass-reflex-loaded loudspeaker with rear-loaded port."

https://karl-heinz-fink.de/the-measurements-checking-out-the-epos-14n

https://epos-loudspeakers.com/

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes they are excellent one of the most transparent passives I have heard, cardioid too of course , perhaps just too different…

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don't know if it's the same "FINK" you're talking about ?but Fink audio bought EPOS and the ES14N doesn't measure too badly with KLIPPEL .

"In 2020, Creek sold the Epos Loudspeaker brand to Karl-Heinz Fink, founder of German loudspeaker design company FinkTeam and also head of acoustic design consultancy Fink Audio Consulting.
Today, EPOS seems to have a new lease of life with a brand-new model: the ES14N. This is a compact 2-way / 2-driver bass-reflex-loaded loudspeaker with rear-loaded port."

https://karl-heinz-fink.de/the-measurements-checking-out-the-epos-14n

https://epos-loudspeakers.com/
They aren’t too bad a bit of a directivity mis match.
IMG_3449.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
March Audio Sointuva AWG are the best measuring passive speakers I have seen along with KEF Blade 1 & 2. But for a fraction of the price. That is why I could not get over them and bought a pair. :)

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would agree with you, I haven’t seen anything better in terms of passive at any price.
Ridiculous really what are the other manufacturers doing just sitting on their hands.
Are you pair Tasmanian Blackwood?
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would agree with you, I haven’t seen anything better in terms of passive at any price.
Ridiculous really what are the other manufacturers doing just sitting on their hands.
Are you pair Tasmanian Blackwood?
Keith
Yes, they are the ones on my profile picture and on Spinorama.org.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm probably going to be looking at an upgrade from my LS 50 Metas late this year or early next and the Sointuva AWGs will almost certainly be on the short list. My questions are what are the best looking woods, anyone have a strong opinion? And is my Purifi Eval 1 Eigentact powerful enough to get everything out of them?

Top Bottom