• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudness compression, loudness wars.. What exactly it is and why is it happening?

pma

Major Contributor
Ever try to listen to music in a car at highway speeds?
If you don't use some compression, you'll lose lots of the music.

Yes, but then leave the compressed music for the car, subway and near-to-hammer listening and give the choice to the listener what kind of music dynamic manipulation he wants to listen. And it does not happen with "popular" music during last 20-30 years, we have moved to DR5-6 standard even with good performers. And this is unlistenable on a good system under home conditions when the music is not intended as a background of the Sunday family dinner. The only exception are some smaller companies producing classical music recordings. If I want to hear well recorded sound, I listen to classical music only. How many people have the same preferences? If most listen to contemporary pop, why to discuss then the SINAD > 120dB?? Crazy world. We have the best technology and worst pop recordings ever.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but then leave the compressed music for the car, subway and near-to-hammer listening and give the choice to the listener what kind of music dynamic manipulation he wants to listen. And it does not happen with "popular" music during last 20-30 years, we have moved to DR5-6 standard even with good performers. And this is unlistenable on a good system under home conditions when the music is not intended as a background of the Sunday family dinner. The only exception are some smaller companies producing classical music recordings. If I want to hear well recorded sound, I listen to classical music only. How many people have the same preferences? If most listen to contemporary pop, why to discuss then the SINAD > 120dB?? Crazy world. We have the best technology and worst pop recordings ever.
I think you misunderstood my point.

There may be little or nothing gained subjectively with more than 60 db of dynamic range. Tasteful compression which reduces anything greater than 60 db to 50-60 db of DNR may even sound a little better.

Going with much more reduction of DNR by additional dynamic compression does not help and eventually makes the resulting music impossible to sound very good imo. Less than 40 db DNR can be hard to make sound really good. So I don't buy the idea a ton of compression for people using ear buds in noisy environs makes any sense. Myself in such situations, I simply decide that isn't a fit place to listen to music.

I fully agree it is ironic we have the best recording technology ever, and the worst recordings. Even more ironic is the super compression is a result of better technology and not despite it.

I've done a little recording, and started out as a two microphone purist. I still prefer that for my own purposes, but recognize it isn't common because it doesn't do what the tremendous majority of music listeners want it to do.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some classic recording:

Sting -
DR Peak RMS Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR13 -1.73 dB -19.14 dB 01 Island Of Souls.wav
DR15 -0.94 dB -17.16 dB 02 All This Time.wav
DR13 -0.26 dB -15.65 dB 03 Mad About You.wav
DR15 -0.40 dB -16.84 dB 04 Jeremiah Blues (Part 1).wav
DR13 -1.28 dB -17.09 dB 05 Why Should I Cry For You?.wav
DR13 -7.00 dB -22.79 dB 06 Saint Agnes And The Burning Train.wav
DR13 -2.67 dB -19.40 dB 07 The Wild Wild Sea.wav
DR14 -1.28 dB -16.89 dB 08 The Soul Cages.wav
DR14 -1.47 dB -19.73 dB 09 When The Angels Fall.wav

Sting - Soul Cages 1991
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR13 -1.73 dB -19.14 dB 01 Island Of Souls.wav
DR15 -0.94 dB -17.16 dB 02 All This Time.wav
DR13 -0.26 dB -15.65 dB 03 Mad About You.wav
DR15 -0.40 dB -16.84 dB 04 Jeremiah Blues (Part 1).wav
DR13 -1.28 dB -17.09 dB 05 Why Should I Cry For You?.wav
DR13 -7.00 dB -22.79 dB 06 Saint Agnes And The Burning Train.wav
DR13 -2.67 dB -19.40 dB 07 The Wild Wild Sea.wav
DR14 -1.28 dB -16.89 dB 08 The Soul Cages.wav
DR14 -1.47 dB -19.73 dB 09 When The Angels Fall.wav

Sting - Nothing Like The Sun
DR16 -1.80 dB -19.63 dB 4:36 01-The Lazarus Heart
DR16 -1.80 dB -20.42 dB 5:34 02-Be Still My Beating Heart
DR17 -1.80 dB -21.36 dB 4:27 03-Englishman In New York
DR15 -1.84 dB -19.37 dB 4:59 04-History Will Teach Us Nothing
DR16 -2.00 dB -20.70 dB 7:16 05-They Dance Alone (Gueca Solo)
DR13 -2.65 dB -21.04 dB 3:56 06-Fragile
DR8 -10.01 dB -19.54 dB 4:56 07-We'll Be Together
DR17 -1.80 dB -20.23 dB 3:55 08-Straight To My Heart
DR14 -2.37 dB -18.62 dB 4:29 09-Rock Steady
DR12 -4.54 dB -21.21 dB 3:47 10-Sister Moon
DR20 -1.80 dB -24.34 dB 5:11 11-Little Wing
DR12 -13.56 dB -29.96 dB 2:04 12-The Secret Marriage
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

String - Fields of Gold - The Best of Sting (1984-1994) - recorded
DR Peak RMS Filename
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR10 -0.18 dB -12.95 dB 01. When We Dance.wav
DR11 -0.18 dB -12.53 dB 02. If You Love Somebody Set Them Free.wav
DR11 -0.18 dB -12.40 dB 03. Fields Of Gold.wav
DR11 -0.18 dB -12.27 dB 04. All This Time.wav
DR12 -0.18 dB -14.28 dB 05. Englishman In New York.wav
DR10 -0.18 dB -12.25 dB 06. Mad About You.wav
DR14 -0.18 dB -16.33 dB 07. It's Probably Me.wav
DR10 -0.18 dB -12.85 dB 08. They Dance Alone (Cueca Solo).wav
DR10 -0.18 dB -12.71 dB 09. If I Ever Lose My Faith In You.wav
DR10 -0.18 dB -13.01 dB 10. Fragile.wav
DR12 -0.18 dB -13.38 dB 11. We'll Be Together.wav
DR12 -0.18 dB -15.74 dB 12. Moon Over Bourbon Street.wav
DR12 -0.18 dB -13.03 dB 13. Love Is The Seventh Wave.wav
DR10 -0.18 dB -12.72 dB 14. Russians.wav
DR11 -0.18 dB -13.99 dB 15. Why Should I Cry for You_.wav
DR10 -0.18 dB -11.96 dB 16. This Cowboy Song.wav
DR11 -0.18 dB -13.88 dB 17. Fragilidad.wav

Remixes seem to reduce dynamic rage.
Sting was an early embracer of CD, back in the day that they had DDD on the disk indicating digital recording, mastering, and distribution.
I suppose vinyl is ADA or ADA, but not likely AAA for popular music.

- Rich

Last edited:

MetalDaze

On the contrary, quite a lot of vinyl can be found as AAA.

All of the vinyl from audiophile labels like AP & MOFI I mentioned previously almost exclusively use an all analog process. And where this is not possible, they annotate and categorize it differently for sale.

But happily its not only expensive audiophile records. My Jimi Hendrix "Experience" "Electric Lady Land" and "Band of Gypsies" are all AAA. I think they were around $20 - $25 each. There are definitely a few others I have from pressing plants like QRP and well priced for what you get :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
On the contrary, quite a lot of vinyl can be found as AAA.
One has to actively seek out AAA LPs, the current default involves a digital master or intermaster.

MetalDaze

One has to actively seek out AAA LPs, the current default involves a digital master or intermaster.

I can't deny that. Once I found out that this is now the standard, especially on newer music being pressed to vinyl (which makes sense with today's technology) I began doing exactly that, and researching which pressings were worth spending my money on if I really wanted it. There are exceptions and digital masters cut to vinyl can sound very good so long as those behind the curtain know what they're doing.

But I have a few that I don't even want to resell, because they are just awful Lol.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say your opinion is in the "extreme minority" there. And your comment on "the inverse rule" is always the retort of people who's opinions are in a large minority, "we are smarter and know more than people who disagree with us" LOL, Baloney.

If you're saying 'groupthink is always right', boy, do I have a delicatessen to sell you.

I already showed up your argument about my age; what next, 'fill out your equipment profile'?

Like I said, I've noticed for a long time posters on QQ giving raves to remixes of music they're admittedly unfamiliar with. It's a funny thing to me. I've mentioned it a few times there.

see from your site you are a major fan-boy of Yes, maybe that explains your slanted opinion of Stevens remastering?

Well, yeah...my familiarity with the music and recordings informs my 'slant' on remixes. Why should it be otherwise? You seem highly put out by the very idea...or is that you are a Steven Wilson 'fan-boy'?

BTW, lot's of good info on your site but it could use a little polish, it's in fairly crude condition as is,
Just sayin.

I'll be sure to pass on your thoughts to the site's owner/designer, maestro. (My job there is curating content.)

BTW, you never explained what my 'sour grapes' are supposed to be. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... and they reasoned that being the loudest station on the dial would capture more listeners as they tuned past. (Back when radios had tuning knobs.)
But the loudness problem started before that, with programmers' meetings where they auditioned new tracks to add to the playlist. Each track might only get 10 or 20 seconds to make an impact, so the louder it was the better.
Just tossing another carrot in the stew here, but radio puts another level (no pun intended) on it. Radio stations must limit their peaks, so as not to overmodulate and encroach on neighboring stations—by law. So they need a hard limit (clip), and a limiter so that the clip is reached as a last resort. I'm pretty sure most rock stations compress as well, to keep levels hot and listers engages, especially those driving, but broadcast is not my expertise so I'll leave it at that.

A big aspect of the loudness war is making things sound relatively good on crappy equipment, like boom boxes. I've seen Andrew Scheps (Chili Peppers, Adele, Metallica) speak a few times, and he often addresses the loudness wars in an unapologetic way—once he said that he got satisfaction from walking by someone's iPhone with one of his songs playing, and it sounding good. :p

Also, I should make clear exactly what is meant by "dynamic range" in the sense of something truly squashed due to the loudness war. It's not simply a reduction in dynamics. It's most apparent when you view the waveform of a crushed tune. The overview waveform is often a solid block for the worst offenders, there is no dip at all in the big picture. It's really not exactly the kind of dynamic range choices many are talking about here. And don't get the idea we're only talking about heavy metal here. Here's Schep's mix of Adele's Don't You Remember, that I did a quick capture of:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.37.47 PM.png

And, as you can see in the Dynamic Range DB, Adele's album releases on vinyl have a much large DR figure than the same album released on CD. The target audience is considered.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 96892

And, as you can see in the Dynamic Range DB, Adele's album releases on vinyl have a much large DR figure than the same album released on CD. The target audience is considered.
I was with you until your last sentence.

The reason the vinyl has a larger DR rating isn't because they considered the audience. You give them too much credit. There are differences in the DR rating you will obtain from vinyl vs CD even if the same track was put onto both mediums. The vinyl will read higher. It also maybe the master to the vinyl has to be backed off just a little to prevent problems cutting the disk. It isn't because they recognize one buyer wants more DR than the other.

earlevel

I was with you until your last sentence.

The reason the vinyl has a larger DR rating isn't because they considered the audience. You give them too much credit. There are differences in the DR rating you will obtain from vinyl vs CD even if the same track was put onto both mediums. The vinyl will read higher. It also maybe the master to the vinyl has to be backed off just a little to prevent problems cutting the disk. It isn't because they recognize one buyer wants more DR than the other.
Well, dam, I should have stopped while I was ahead! You are correct, of course. I was going by a memory of an interview where they someone the extra care they made for the vinyl release, and didn't think about it. CD and vinyl may use a different master, but it's not necessary as long as the master accommodates the vinyl needs. And my friend Ian, who is a mastering engineer and has also co-developed loudness metering tools, says it's more complicated, with the metering not telling an reliable story (which means the better numbers I described for Adele's 25 might be a mirage):

Why the TT Meter doesn't work on vinyl

valerianf

Thank you Blumlein, EJ3 and Earlevel for your explanations.
I stopped listening music at home during the last 9 years because of the poor quality level of the sources (I.e. : lack of dynamic).
Using Amazon music HD since 1 month I am starting again to listen music.
I understand that thanks to HD streaming services the new recordings may get some more dynamic.
It was a long waiting time...

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I'd like remind the uesrs of Spotify premium - please go to settings and uncheck dynamic compression, it's activated as default!

danadam

I understand that thanks to HD streaming services the new recordings may get some more dynamic.
I haven't noticed.
From time to time I click through "Popular Music Videos" on youtube and check "Volume / Normalized" in "Stats for nerds". It rarely gets better than this:
statsfornerds.png

earlevel

The interesting now is at least there is some incentive to be better. Or maybe I should say disincentive to crush. Songs that have been crushed are now turned down by most or all of the streaming systems. Same block-waveform profile, but with the volume reduced so that it doesn't go rail to rail. this is referred to as the "loudness penalty"—the degree to which a song is turned down in Apple Music, for instance, because it's too crushed.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
There is no such thing there. There is volume normalization.

Yes, thankfully.

Oh you're right, SORRY. Streaming quality, volume normalization and volume level are the settings available.

spotify settings.png

tuga

Major Contributor
I hope this hasn't been posted here before:

9KCZmzA.jpg

Attachments

• Radio Ready - The Truth.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: EJ3

valerianf

It is exactly how TV advertising sound track look like!!!

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is exactly howt TV advertising sound track look like!!!
They know that come add time, your going to get up & go to the bathroom to make room for the stop at the kitchen for that next adult libation.
So they want that paid for advertising to follow you there, wherever you go.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you Blumlein, EJ3 and Earlevel for your explanations.
I stopped listening music at home during the last 9 years because of the poor quality level of the sources (I.e. : lack of dynamic).
Using Amazon music HD since 1 month I am starting again to listen music.
It was a long waiting time...
I don't have a stable enough signal to stream. But I have hundreds of both albums and CD's that were made prior to 97, many still in the cellophane.
For the albums I use a Technics SL-M3 with a linear tracking titanium tone arm with a NOS SHURE ULTRA 300 (T4P) at 1.25 grams. For the CD's, an oppo 205. That will have to do until I get set up to digitize what I want and sell, donate, whatever, the rest. Maybe digitize my RTR stuff too. That will be a late next year project, if my other projects go well.

Top Bottom