• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volume jumps in games/movies or dynamic range question

Axel

For a long time I can not deal with one super problem that everyone knows, but no one understands (at least in our super country Russia) as the main reason to solve it.

Games/movies use (or have) a wide/high dynamical range in sound. It looks like this: there is a dialogue in the film and then bang! Explosive/shot and you have to either tolerate (that does not suit at all) or turn the volume to the left (which is even more absurd). In games like this, you run around in some Half-life 2 and then you’re attacked by soldiers, you shoot, they shoot, and then again, you’re either deaf or you turn the volume down. They don’t want to solve this problem (or we in the third world sell junk for tens of thousands I do not know), plus I heard about the "Loudness war" and it end it ended of everywhere compression with low quality...But honestly I didn’t notice any compression in some ancient game like Half-life 2... to stun me with a string bass, when I shoot a crossbow, not to mention the heavier sounds... In new games I didn’t hear it either, like the same Horizon Zero Dawn. In films too, maybe in music yes i know what loudness war its about music but music with compression or without it sounds better, why in films/games i must myself use compression?!)) You can reduce the difference between loud and silent sounds and apply compression, but first it is not the solution, second to impose it you need a high-quality compressor, which either costs money (software or real does not matter), or the quality of this compressor leaves you wanting, for example Fabfilter via Equlizer APO. Maybe Fabilter itself and a good plug-in do not know (since I do not do professional recording of sound), but this APO first does not see what changes happen with sound, the second APO have medium sound quality for low qality speakers i think maybe i wrong. This is not even true, but why should I become a professional in sound for what? To normally watch a movie or play Dead Space? That’s even more absurd. There are also all kinds of sound settings called smart volume (as in the TV)/normilizer/volume alignment etc but it has nothing to do with quality sound at all has and is invented, apparently, for laptops and other garbage. My setup is iFi Zen DAC Signature + JBL 305p MKII / AKG K701 + Fiio E10k-TC. Yes i know what is not "true hi-fi" for thousands dollars and i know what i try listen 5.1/7.1 sound on stereo speakers/headphones. But im interesting whats happens with sound on real expensive speakers, as far as I know the situation there with the range is even worse, but I might be wrong. And in games, especially like HL2/Dungeon Siege1/FEAR we have a stereo sound, most old games have it, like a new too. I try play to Uncharted 4 but I couldn’t get the volume balance even when I put it on "night mode" in sound settings, I’m really scared to play it at the maximum range to really hear the silent sounds in the menu for example )))

Whats happens (maybe something wrong with my brains/ear/perception) and how i can fix it damn situation? Maybe it’s the OS (Windows7/10 and winXP too by the way) or would I ask you in another way whether it is possible to compress (without compression) or reduce the range given out on the windows or is it stupid?

OP
A

Axel

Ok thx its really usefull, but for films....or what im must doing with games? I wrote about this. in HL2 i choose "2 speakers", Dead Space 2 i choose Stereo sound in most games i can choose or game choosing it aoutomatically (and in many games you cant choose it because auto mode). I test it on many games on Creative cards, now i tested it on USB DAC and i have ONLY stereo its stereo DAC no 7.1/5.1/Surround etc. In windows mixer my dac cant downmix or upmix it true stereo. And after that how connected downmix and dynamic range in GAMES? In films yes i know downmix in MPC is very very low quality or badly configured by default, but in GAMES with NATIVE stereo sound what should I do? OR in games sound too goes through CODECS like ffmepgs or maybe microsoft codecs give me more/less luoudness IN GAMES NOT IN FILMS!!!!!!

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you can try the windows compressor

turn-on-or-off-audio-enhancements-in-windows-10-pic3_thumb.png

also look at the advanced compressor I suggested in the following post which (can) react(s) to loudness (LUFS). will cost you though https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...roadcasters-streamers-use.40816/#post-1451947

from the description though, the windows one should be of the same advanced type

OP
A

Axel

you can try the windows compressor

turn-on-or-off-audio-enhancements-in-windows-10-pic3_thumb.png

also look at the advanced compressor I suggested in the following post which (can) react(s) to loudness (LUFS). will cost you though https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...roadcasters-streamers-use.40816/#post-1451947

from the description though, the windows one should be of the same advanced type

Ok thx, but i have question, this "Powair"...how i can use it, this (if im wrong correct me) is VST okay but Equlizer APO dont likes me you can advice me to analogue is the program? Maybe Reaper i hear is good soft, but im not sure it can work like APO and how reaper can compress sound in real time?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Ok thx, but i have question, this "Powair"...how i can use it, this (if im wrong correct me) is VST okay but Equlizer APO dont likes me you can advice me to analogue is the program? Maybe Reaper i hear is good soft, but im not sure it can work like APO and how reaper can compress sound in real time?

yea, I thought of Equalizer APO. I don't think using Reaper as an effect machine would be realiable. I think you should try to fix EQ APO on your machine, since this software is SOOOO usefull

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have a compressor available in the miniDSP OpenDRC-DI in my stereo chain.

Too loud gets the adjustable axe.

As an example, anything above -20dBFS gets a user variable haircut.

1683644735953.png

I've found, when occasionally watching a movie on YouTube "free with ads" the ads are much louder than the general movie levels, so it is useful for that.

The colorful monitor shows how much is being cut (nothing at the moment) from the signal when it occurs.

Adjust so the normal sounds don't activate compression, but the obnoxious ones do.

Normally it is not used.

TV is playing through it now, and I set to give a haircut, and the monitor monitors that:

1683645183195.png

11dB cut off the top of the signal at the moment the snapshot was taken.

I haven't measured to see the effect, but I don't notice anything bad at my eardrums other than diminished loud moments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom