• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for my first pair of good speakers

CarlToft

Hey, I have some pretty good headphones and iems but the only speaker i own is an Ultimate ears hyperboom which battery dosent even last that long. So i wanna finally buy some good sounding speakers.

Info:
I live in a pretty small apartment around 40m2. And my couch is around 3-5 meters from my tv.
I prefer Harman tuned headphones but with a bit more bass. I would like it to be able to connect to my tv or my phone using 3.5 mm jack, and i am maybe going to be a wifi streamer to play wireleessly someday.

My max budget is around $1500 with a subwoofer and amp if the speakers need it. I will try to buy used so the prices can be higher than 1000.

It has to be available in Denmark or be shipped to my country.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't know what's available in Denmark nor how are the prices.
Do you intend to listen at far distance (3.5 m is that)?
1000 € ain't exactly much.
With smaller speakers and let's say mid field you could pass with cheap Kali LP 6 V2's which do have quite a good availability. So with a little bit of luck you might get a 12" sub and measuring microphone for about 600. If you want to keep it far field well 8" active monitors that aren't bad start about 600 and so.
Don't use phone analog out when ever you can (it's about 1 V or less and standard DAC line out this day's is 2 V). Even most deacent headphone dongle DAC's will give 2V out.
In your words how loud you like to listen with headphones?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen KEF LS50 wireless recently at $1000 used so that's a pretty good option.

You can also find Genelec 8030c for around that much, used, if you look around.

Two really solid options for your situation, (in fact they are a couple notches up from "my first good speakers") ... although they don't leave much budget for a sub and some kind of DAC or pre to control volume...

If I were you, I'd go for the best mains I could afford right now, and then sit on the used buy/sell sites (craigslist, facebook marketplace, reverb, etc) save up some more money, and wait for a good deal on subs to come up.

In terms of wireless streamers, the best value I know of is to buy a refurbished WiiM Mini on eBay, they are about $60 in the US. I have bought 5 of them so far and they all look new to me...

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How mich do Dynaudio charge for the LYD 5 and LYD 8 in Denmark? The first speakers that came to mind won’t be available cheaply in Denmark.

Are Genelec 8030c affordable in Denmark? Neumann KH120a or KH 80 DSP?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
OP
C

CarlToft

I have seen KEF LS50 wireless recently at $1000 used so that's a pretty good option.

You can also find Genelec 8030c for around that much, used, if you look around.

Two really solid options for your situation, (in fact they are a couple notches up from "my first good speakers") ... although they don't leave much budget for a sub and some kind of DAC or pre to control volume...

If I were you, I'd go for the best mains I could afford right now, and then sit on the used buy/sell sites (craigslist, facebook marketplace, reverb, etc) save up some more money, and wait for a good deal on subs to come up.

In terms of wireless streamers, the best value I know of is to buy a refurbished WiiM Mini on eBay, they are about $60 in the US. I have bought 5 of them so far and they all look new to me...
Is the price USD 1000 for a pair or each?

OP
C

CarlToft

With smaller speakers and let's say mid field you could pass with cheap Kali LP 6 V2's which do have quite a good availability. So with a little bit of luck you might get a 12" sub and measuring microphone for about 600. If you want to keep it far field well 8" active monitors that aren't bad start about 600 and so.
Don't use phone analog out when ever you can (it's about 1 V or less and standard DAC line out this day's is 2 V). Even most deacent headphone dongle DAC's will give 2V out.
I will be sitting at around 3-4 meter from the speakers. I have updated the budget a bit,

OP
C

CarlToft

How mich do Dynaudio charge for the LYD 5 and LYD 8 in Denmark? The first speakers that came to mind won’t be available cheaply in Denmark.

Are Genelec 8030c affordable in Denmark? Neumann KH120a or KH 80 DSP?
I have updated the budget btw.
Lyd 5 $418,15 for 1 speaker
Lyd 8 $801,10 for 1 speaker
Genelec $603,66 for 1 speaker
Neumann $647,77 for 1 speaker
KH 80 $529,85 for 1 speaker

OP
C

CarlToft

I am not sure how loud my headphones are at. But i have HiFiman sundara and a topping l30 which is it at negative gain and almost at the bottom of the knob.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At those prices I would probably get the Genelec 8030C but would also look at the LYD 7. In either case, I don't think a sub would be strictly needed or a good use of money at that budget. Maybe get the Genelec and you can add a 7030a or 7050c down the line if you decide more bass is needed.

Those are active speakers, so no amp needed. You will just need to find the right cables to get the 3.5mm headphone jack to stereo XLR.

pogo

Major Contributor
Are there any used Teufel M200 of the first generation in your neighbourhood? They were very common in the northern part of Germany. Paired with a first generation M4000 or better M6000 they play very well on a NAD C388. Your budget should fit.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I think it's best if you can go to an audio/video store and listen. Even if you don't buy from there and/or if you don't buy what they sell, you'll get an idea of what's available, what the differences are, and what you like, etc. (Speakers will sound different in a different room, but IMO, it's still worthwhile.)

I would like it to be able to connect to my tv or my phone using 3.5 mm jack, and i am maybe going to be a wifi streamer to play wireleessly someday.

Most "hi-fi" and home theater speakers are passive so you need an amplifier or receiver/AVR, etc.

There are lots of decent active "studio monitors" for less than $1000 USD a pair, but you still probably want some kind of "control center" or switch. And monitors don't usually have grills so some people don't like the appearance in their living room, and the drivers don't have any protection (from children, etc.).

The easiest way to connect a subwoofer is with an AVR (which always has a line-level subwoofer output for an active sub, and a built-in crossover & bass management). BUT, a subwoofer (or "good bass" in in general) in an apartment with neighbors is usually a problem and you probably can't take "full advantage" of it. :(

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am not sure how loud my headphones are at. But i have HiFiman sundara and a topping l30 which is it at negative gain and almost at the bottom of the knob.
Well I asked and guessing it's not very high and loud based on your headphones preference.
If it's a far field close to the back wall I suggest start trying with something like this on tight budget:
Feel free to snoop around there and try to find something better.
That would leave you enough money with updated budget for a deacent sub and measurement microphone (part with microphone is not optional if you ever want to get there). A tip would be to see if you can find SVS SB-1000 on outgoing sell (as it's recently discontinued) for a good price and so you could even end with some money left from updated budget (all new). Advice would then be to start saving for something like MiniDSP Flex or Flex HT and I am sure you won't have either good availability or price on those.

AlexanderM

So Focal speakers are cheap where you are? What other brands? Wondering if he could find a pair of discontinued Chora 816's, for a very good price. Do they have to be bookshelf speakers?

OP
C

CarlToft

Are there any used Teufel M200 of the first generation in your neighbourhood? They were very common in the northern part of Germany. Paired with a first generation M4000 or better M6000 they play very well on a NAD C388. Your budget should fit.
Not sure but i dont think so as i live in Denmark.

OP
C

CarlToft

So Focal speakers are cheap where you are? What other brands? Wondering if he could find a pair of discontinued Chora 816's, for a very good price. Do they have to be bookshelf speakers?
I just want good speakers for my small apartment thats my only requirement except price ofc.

OP
C

CarlToft

I will check tommorow. We have a local site called "DBA" which has all kind of stuff.

OP
C

CarlToft

I will check tommorow thanks

Top Bottom