• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for DCA Aeon 2 Noire alternative

sharock

I've just got the used pair of SRH440 and with the Oratory EQ it sounds great to me! No issues with positioning like the K371. I will probably try to sell the K371.

Downsides... it's really difficult to get hold of as it's discontinued. I got a used pair from Amazon UK. Secondly, the headphone itself feels very cheap and plasticky. Doesn't inspire confidence in its durability. Does the SRH440A with EQ really compare that unfavourably?

For the moment at least, I can hold back my desire to buy the Noire.

markanini

Major Contributor
I've just got the used pair of SRH440 and with the Oratory EQ it sounds great to me! No issues with positioning like the K371. I will probably try to sell the K371.

Downsides... it's really difficult to get hold of as it's discontinued. I got a used pair from Amazon UK. Secondly, the headphone itself feels very cheap and plasticky. Doesn't inspire confidence in its durability. Does the SRH440A with EQ really compare that unfavourably?

For the moment at least, I can hold back my desire to buy the Noire.
SRH440A build might not be that much better, I've heard some having issues with comfort.

Here's my EQ BTW, for reference, yours will probably be different due to individual variability:
Code:
Preamp: -1.6 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 700 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 0.690
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain -0.5 dB Q 0.500
Filter 3: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 0.720

OP
H

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And they broke second or third time, left transducer again, to hell with them, I'll try to fix them and will sell them this time before they break

Last edited:

paudio

And they broke second or third time, left transducer again, to hell with them, I'll try to fix them and will sell them this time before they break
This seems rather exceptional to have so many transducer failures? Are you sure something in your setup isn't causing the issue? Or a component that hasn't been replaced in the headphones?

I haven't had any failures and the previous owner didn't either.

Edit: Rereading the thread it seems you have an intermittent problem that went away on its own. What troubleshooting have you done?

Last edited:
OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
This seems rather exceptional to have so many transducer failures? Are you sure something in your setup isn't causing the issue? Or a component that hasn't been replaced in the headphones?

I haven't had any failures and the previous owner didn't either.

Edit: Rereading the thread it seems you have an intermittent problem that went away on its own. What troubleshooting have you done?
I tried to swap cable, source, amp, dac and it wasn't hard as I just checked both at home and in my studio. It is exceptional, so my guess is they didn't really fix it the first time. I asked about ordering transducers and paying for them outside of warranty and they couldn't say what it would cost for the last 3 months, so my guess is they didn't replace anything, hence no idea what it would cost.

paudio

When the sound drops in one side test the resistance across each driver with a multimeter at the hirose connector. I would jot down the results and leave them in that state and send them to DCA. I have had a really good experience working with Sue in support. Not sure what it could be other than the driver itself malfunctioning in the cup as I haven't taken mine apart before.

Edit: Aeon flow don't seem to have any additional components. I don't know if it's changed with the Noire?

10191920.jpg

Last edited:

JanesJr1

I haven't got any scratches on mine. The worst wear spot I've seen on other sets is the hinge paint can get scratched off. Don't put them down on the hinges and I think it will be fine. If you do put them down on hinges I've managed to not wear down the paint at all placing them in their case.

The pad deforming is annoying but I've managed to roll them back into shape every time so far. It would definitely be nice if they could solve the issue. Seems like they need to anchor the foam somehow. I am assuming this is what you are talking about? If not I heard they can deform while in their case without inserting the foam block between the cups
I remember reading that DCA switched to a different pad to solve the problem a year or two ago. However, I think that back then, unless you were a recent-purchaser, you had to buy them. But check with DCA..

paudio

I remember reading that DCA switched to a different pad to solve the problem a year or two ago. However, I think that back then, unless you were a recent-purchaser, you had to buy them. But check with DCA..
They sent me a new set of pads because one had a frame that wasn't flat causing seal problems. So unless I got old stock. I still have to roll them.

jdjung

Would agree with the statement that fit is pretty forgiving. I find I can move it quite a bit without significant bass response loss. I would criticize it for:

1) The finish picks up fingerprints like you wouldn't believe and I am terrified of scratching it.
2) The pads on mine are deforming really fast. It doesn't seem to be making much difference to the sound but it looks bad and i wonder how long they'll last. I do think DCA should be looking at this and an alternative fitting system for the pads.
3) I cant really fault the sound other than I find it lacks a little life (my opinion only - you need to listen and make up your own mind). Its very detailed (the Focal Clear MG's, Sennheiser HD820's and DCA Stealths are better with detail IMHO) but just seems a bit flat compared with the 820's and the Clear's in my view. That said I wonder if I've got slightly odd hearing because I heard the Audeze LCD-X's and was seriously unimpressed. I also heard the Focal Stellias and was not prepared to pay the extra for them (though they were gorgeous headphones) - it would have been a sideways move rather than an upgrade for me.
In regards to scratching them, you can use Meguires Ultimate polish to take care of the scratches and then I actually put two layers of wax on the shiny plastic and carbon fiber using Meguires Liquid Wax. Helps with the finger prints. ;) Plus I like the smell of Meguire products. This is the combo I use for my Carbon Fiber cello case and plastic screens on my electronics and it's always comes out looking like new. The polish will take a few minutes of elbow grease and a few applications but it works like a charm. Also make sure to be in a dust free environment because if some dirt or other small hard particles get in the rag you'll end up scratching them more.

nonnyno

In regards to scratching them, you can use Meguires Ultimate polish to take care of the scratches and then I actually put two layers of wax on the shiny plastic and carbon fiber using Meguires Liquid Wax. Helps with the finger prints. ;) Plus I like the smell of Meguire products. This is the combo I use for my Carbon Fiber cello case and plastic screens on my electronics and it's always comes out looking like new. The polish will take a few minutes of elbow grease and a few applications but it works like a charm. Also make sure to be in a dust free environment because if some dirt or other small hard particles get in the rag you'll end up scratching them more.
Many thanks for that info.

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I managed to catch the moment when one side is quieter and measure the impedance. There are two photos with both sides measured, one is when the left headphone is quieter, then minute later when it's fine (I needed to push more level for a moment to "unclog" it). I contacted DCA and maybe they'll be able to help me

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2023-08-3 o 22.02.00.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-08-3 o 22.02.00.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 104
  • Zrzut ekranu 2023-08-3 o 22.01.34.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-08-3 o 22.01.34.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 103

paudio

I managed to catch the moment when one side is quieter and measure the impedance. There are two photos with both sides measured, one is when the left headphone is quieter, then minute later when it's fine (I needed to push more level for a moment to "unclog" it). I contacted DCA and maybe they'll be able to help me
Seems like a physical defect in the driver.

TabCam

Lousy it happened again / was not properly fixed. Have mine (Aeon Flow 2) for quite some time, only had cable problem(s).
I also bought a TRUTHEAR Crinkle Red IEM which sound quite like the DCA Aeon Flow 2. They are for on the move and in hot weather and I am happy with those as well.

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Yeah almost a week after I've sent them an email and zero response, I can't fix them and can't sell them at this point, left with semi working headphones but I'm looking for an alternative again and will check all previous suggestions

paudio

Yeah almost a week after I've sent them an email and zero response, I can't fix them and can't sell them at this point, left with semi working headphones but I'm looking for an alternative again and will check all previous suggestions
What email did you send to? [email protected]. You might need to be a bit more patient they are not a giant company. They also have regular business hours and a phone number listed top right corner of their website.

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
What email did you send to? [email protected]. You might need to be a bit more patient they are not a giant company. They also have regular business hours and a phone number listed top right corner of their website.
this one, which Dan recommended. I'm in Europe so I would rather not have to call them

Top Bottom