• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

looking for a streamer/DAC with Airplay 2 + wifi to connect Adam active speakers

d3miller

I would go with a Wiim Mini ($99) with balanced DAC of your choice. I'm running with a Wiim Mini + Topping D30Pro, which is about $500 all in. I have the balanced out going to a pair of Genelecs.

eatapeach

I wouldn't put much stock in that review. If the Port has the features you want I bet it will sound fine, especially if you use the digital output to an external DAC. I didn't realize Sonos eliminated the optical output though; the Port just has coax digital out. Maybe someone on here has the Port and can comment. @Sophoheilip did a teardown report, so maybe can offer some thoughts?

Also, you can probably still find the Sonos Connect Gen 2 that works with Sonos S2, but this won't have airplay.

If you will be using Apple Music service for the streaming content then I would look at the Sonos Port over the Bluesound, since Sonos has Apple Music and so you can use the full functionality of the streamer. With the Bluesound you would be limited to Airplay, and so paying for the BluOS without really being able to use it.

bumping this - but this. I sold a Node 2i due to issues (the buyer also had "issues but that's another story). I also had a Sonos Connect S2 which I sold for some reason - now I want one again.

For an office I have 2 powered monitors and want a simple streamer plus DAC to feed them - needs to have 2 x coax outputs L+R.

I'm not an apple user so thats not important - what alternatives to finding another Sonos are there?

Philipp

Is there any reasons you can't use this device which I show the potential it has in my video?
Hello everybody,
are you aware of any measurements of this product, the price in relation to the offered connections is very tempting.

I am very interested in the DAC performance of the built-in dac, implementation is key.

CLOUDYX CL-BOX​

Last edited:

Jhify

hello,
i am looking for a reasonably priced streamer/DAC with wifi. I absolutely need Airplay 2 (being on apple ecosystem) and would have loved balanced outputs to hook it up with my to Adam active speakers. but balanced will inevitably push the price up and it is not key right now.
I am looking at:
Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 but a little expensive
and:
Matrix Audio Element I ou M but I can't see anywhere if it is airplay 2

then a dumb question but if I get a streamer with a DAC, will the later take over an iPhone DAC?

thanks a lot for your inputs.

Olivier
Used Mac mini M1 + any usb dac you want. You can software PEQ as much as you want and even install Dirac live. It’ll be cheaper, better, and more versatile than any streamer you can find on the market.

Top Bottom