• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a straight barebones DAC

OP
I

iamkimosabi

I've just compared
SMSL SU-9 --> THX 789 (Balanced) --> Focal Clear & HiFiMan Sundara
to
Universal Audio Twin Mk ii --> THX 789 (balanced) --> Focal Clear & HiFiMan Sundara

AND... I found that the UA Twin Mk ii sounded clearly more detailed, nuanced, and lively.
I never thought of the Twin as a TOTL DAC but compared to the SU9 that everyone raves about, I easily prefer the Twin.

That's quite interesting...it wasn't to get a better sound per say...I just wanted a simple DAC that sounds accurate enough for me to mix through, leaving my analog i/o open for routing hardware. I chose the ES9038Pro because I like ESS chips...always have since I used the Duet2 which had ES9016S chips in it, and the Symphony I/O which used the ES9018 chips...and I have tried AKM chips in RME gear and it wasn't for me. So for me, I prefer ESS chips....specifically would like to stay up to date and get a 2 channel DAC with balanced outputs, using the ES9038Pro chips.

Top Bottom