• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

looking for DAC recommendation for iPad music

monkeymanford

i often use my iPad Pro with a midi keyboard to use synths, electric pianos and organs, the problem is that the iPad Pro does not have an audio out, i don't need audio in, just a L-R out for my sound system and maybe a headphone jack, a volume knob is a great addition because i might velcro my iPad under my keyboard wooded stand.

i was going to get the M-Audio Air | Hub until i read the terrible review here.. whoops !

it was perfect having the needed outs and a volume knob + an integrated usb hub which removed the need to get a separate usb hub for the iPad when needing to connect the iPad to my midi keyboard (it also works with bluetooth, but not sure yet if i can live with the short but sometimes noticeable latency).

which DAC would you recommend for my needs, don't need it to be over the top quality, but i might perform with this setup so maybe it's better to invest now, i'm mostly looking for an elegant solution which removes the need for extra dongle, knobs, power supply so the interface being usb powered is a minimum must.

what would you recommend ? i read some of the reviews but i'm not 100% what level of quality is needed for my usecase, my headphones are low impedance, my sound system is 6" studio monitors.

thank you !

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So your iPad Pro has a USB-C port, which your going to use for the DAC?
Do you have a budget?
How about the ($250) Topping DX5 DAC/amp?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best value is on a Amazon for the SMSL C200 for $125 used with 1 year warranty. I've got one and it sounds terrific. The other would be the SMSL DL200 and have one also. More power on the headphone jack, but larger footprint for $150 if they still have used ones.

OP
M

monkeymanford

those suggestions are great, but i'm more looking for a simple solution that's usb-powered with simple outputs, perhaps i would get one of those for home listening to music though :)

Top Bottom