• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening to music in multichannel mode

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to confess that I really like listening to music in multichannel mode better than in stereo. I use a Denon x3700h with audyssey32xt, and I like the multichannel sound of music in my 5.2 set up more than Stereo, Direct, or Pure Direct. It's like being in a sonic envelope, very layered and enveloping. I've taken the surround volume levels down from the recommended surround levels that Audessey came up with (was too high, they have to be low enough so that the Front speakers are the stars of the show).

Anyone else like listening to music in Multichannel mode?

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I do, I have a 1970s decoder and play SQ and QS encoded LPs in what's now referred to as 4.0.
I don't have the room for a proper 5.1 installation, nor have most of the LPs I play been released in 5.1 format, so stick to my 1970s Quadraphonic playback.

S

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No for me.

Madlop26

Same situation as yours, All my music is coded in stereo (of course), but I also listen Apple music lossless, Majority of music is still in stereo, I do no upmix, and i listen in stereo if the song is originally in stereo ; but when the song is coded in Dolby atmos, is then, when all my speaker light up in an 5.2.4 set up. Some of the spatial audio song has poor mastering and is a merely a meh, usually older songs, but when done right, oh boy; is a whole new experience, it gives a new meaning to soundstage, and is amazing to me. So I am sold when is done right. The only annoying issue is that most of time you have to increase volume from 5 to 10 dB to match stereo songs.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only annoying issue is that most of time you have to increase volume from 5 to 10 dB to match stereo songs.
That's a feature. It's because the Atmos mixes have a higher dynamic range than the stereo ones.

Sam1879

I was impressed how multichanel sound processing for music enhanced the imersive experience of listening to music on my 5.1 sound system (home cinema) with a Denon AVR-S650H and low cost speakers.
Would it be a good thing on a high end sound system with high end speakers and amplifiers and stereo source material?
I dont know... Personal taste and depending of audio-algorithm and implementation i guess.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a feature. It's because the Atmos mixes have a higher dynamic range than the stereo ones.
I’m not sure that’s true. I used my Kids Apple ear things (Atmos) and frankly I was underwhelmed. Even a Steven Wilson mix.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure that’s true. I used my Kids Apple ear things (Atmos) and frankly I was underwhelmed. Even a Steven Wilson mix.
I don't listen on the Apple headphones and can't speak to what things sound like after going through their spatial->binaural processing, but the Steven Wilson mixes sound as I would expect them to. I don't think there is any difference at all between the Tears for Fears Atmos in Apple vs the Bluray other than bitrate, for example.

dartinbout

One of the wonderful about being a music junkie, in this current moment, is the element of choice. With three dacs, 14 channels of amp, a set of XLR switches, 14 speakers and a vast collection of mono, quad, 5.1 and 7.1 music, I can choose what and how I listen. Some stereo albums lend themselves to upconverting some don't. Most of my MC music also came with stereo tracks. IN JR, I have 14 zones (EQ, channel, room correction and DAC selections). I can have it "My Waaay" depending on my activity, location, selection. (I must add that the Topping DM7 is the crown jewel of this setup, followed by the beryllium mod-ed Paradigm tweeters across the front 3)

Last edited:

Rob63

Yes‚ for me. I enjoy 2 channel much more with the DDDSur mixer. But I follow that true multichannel mixes (4.1-7.1‚ Atmos) when done properly, are on another level.

kiwifi

Yes. Multi Channel Stereo all the time. Much more immersive than 2 channel stereo. Love it!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Sure. Multichannel mode (or upmixing to MCH) is for the most part a positive to me. In cases where the surrounds are overbearing or when I'm sitting close to the surrounds, I will simply lower the SPL of those channels. However, that said, I listen to my speakers in mono mode (single/center channel) now a lot of the time as most of my audio listening days is spent consuming spoken word stuff e.g. podcasts, audiobooks, youtube interviews and the like.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to confess that I really like listening to music in multichannel mode better than in stereo. I use a Denon x3700h with audyssey32xt, and I like the multichannel sound of music in my 5.2 set up more than Stereo, Direct, or Pure Direct. It's like being in a sonic envelope, very layered and enveloping. I've taken the surround volume levels down from the recommended surround levels that Audessey came up with (was too high, they have to be low enough so that the Front speakers are the stars of the show).

Anyone else like listening to music in Multichannel mode?

Depends on what you mean by 'multichannel mode'. I like actual upmixers like Dolby Pro Logic II or Dolby Surround. I don't like AVR gimmicks like 'Jazz Club' or '5 channel stereo'

And of course I like when music is actually provided already mixed to 4 or more channels.

tomkatt

I like both. My main living room setup is a 5.1.2 system that basically upscales stereo to all channels and it sounds great, like I've got a full concert in my living room, but my office is a 2.0 setup currently and I really love it as well. I probably spend more time with the 2.0 system, but I'm happy either way.

Oddly, I've found Atmos music or other types of spatial music (like Apple) are really hit or miss. Sometimes it's outstanding and other times it sounds much worse than the stereo mix.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Tidal has a ton of new music mastered in Atmos and more coming every day. It sounds great on my home theater system and some of the artists take advantage of panning various sounds around the room and above. There is a fantastic remaster of Riders on the Storm by The Doors. If you haven’t checked out Atmos content definitely try it out and see what you think.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Generally no, or not thus far. I find most upmixers underwhelming, and I have not found many surround mixes on DVD or BRD that I have preferred to the stereo mix. I have not tried Atmos yet, however, as I subscribe to Amazon Music, and Atmos is currently available only on the phone apps and only with headphones or compatible smart speakers.

Having said that, my surrounds and ceiling speakers are compromised. I have a 7.2.2 system in which the in-walls are Polk 65-RT and the ceilings are Polk 70-RT. They could be MUCH better than they are, but at the time of selection and installation, I viewed surrounds as not much more than noise makers.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yes. I like the Pro Logic II "Hall" effect with delayed reverb coming from the rear. And I have a shelf-full of DVD concerts, many with 5.1 surround. Most of those sound GREAT!

...I've had my speakers in a "dance hall" a couple of times and the real-acoustic reverb is better than the artificial reverb at home.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No for me. I still prefer music in pure L&R stereo mode played by multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system which time-aligned (over all the SP drivers) in 0.1 msec precision.

You can find my latest system setup here and here.

Haint

I like both. My main living room setup is a 5.1.2 system that basically upscales stereo to all channels and it sounds great, like I've got a full concert in my living room, but my office is a 2.0 setup currently and I really love it as well. I probably spend more time with the 2.0 system, but I'm happy either way.

Oddly, I've found Atmos music or other types of spatial music (like Apple) are really hit or miss. Sometimes it's outstanding and other times it sounds much worse than the stereo mix.

Apple Music Atmos tracks have the bass and/or subwoofer channel mixed WAY too hot. It's like they've attempted to bake a Harman style "room curve" into every track, when anyone who knows what they're doing already have that baked into their system. So you wind up getting this massively overbearing double boost. In general I prefer the Dolby Upmixer to just about any Apple Atmos track, and agree with the OP, it is almost always better than Stereo, especially if you turn your center speaker off.

Top Bottom