• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer & Amplifier Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and abbreviated measurements of the Linn Majik DS-1 integrated streamer and amplification. It is on kind loan from a member. It has been discontinued but back in 2010 (?) when it was announced it was US $4,200. I see a recent ebay sale for a bit over $1,000.

The Linn is an attractive unit:

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Stereo Review.jpg

The interesting bits are in the back:
Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Back Panel Stereo Review.jpg

You have full suite of analog and digital inputs although given the age, USB input is lacking. Roon remote is built into the networking which is very nice for an older device. And of course you have full amplification in there for a single box solution.

Streamer DAC Stereo Measurements
Since there is line out, let's use the Toslink input into its DAC and measure what comes out before the power amplifier:

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier DAC Audio Measurements.png

By today's standard, this is definitely subpar with sum of distortion and noise relative to signal not close enough to beat the CD format:

Best Stereo Streamer integrated amplifier review 2020.png

I tested streaming with Roon player and performance was identical which is good.

Amplifier Stereo Measurements
I started testing the power amplifier by using the Toslink optical input first:

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

We see sum total SINAD of 78 dB. This obviously is NOT limited by the DAC as it produced 20 dB better performance. Indeed switching to analog input we see that confirmed:

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Analog In Audio Measurements.png

As its, the DS-1 lies smack in the middle of rankings of all the amplifiers we have tested regardless of price (nearly 120):

Best streamer amplifier 2020 review.png

I quickly ran a frequency response test using analog input and was quite surprised that it was not flat:

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

Thinking it may be digitized, I switched to digital input with both 44.1 kHz and 96 kHz sampling:

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Digital Toslink Frequency Response Aud...png

We see the same curve. So unless there is some kind of EQ I don't know about, it is sad to see such roll off.

Let's measure power into 4 ohm:
Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Analog In Power into 4 ohm Audio Measu...png

This is very little power for all but secondary use. It naturally drops lower with 8 ohm load:

Linn Majik DS-1 Streamer Integrated Amplifier Amplifier Analog In Power into 8 ohm Audio Measu...png

And these are not "good watts" either given how early distortion takes over and flattens the curve and then swings up at clipping.

Conclusions
In 2010 this kind of functionality would have been advanced. But today there are a range of streaming solutions with amps that retail in hundreds of dollars with much more power. It is disappointing to see an engineering focused company like Linn target so low in power and noise and distortion.

Anyway, even at $1000 I can't recommend the Linn Majik DS-1. That said, if you have one using it in a secondary location like bedroom, office, etc. would be fine.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Who would have thought that preserving fruits can be dangerous? Went to through out a spoiled pear out the door into our field to compost naturally, and hit my thumb hard on the door jam. It is hurting and somehow impacted my back as well a bit. So be forewarned, I am cranky!

Fortunately before I screwed up my thumb, I prepped the rest of the green grapes for dehydrating as we were not eating them fast enough:

Grapes Dehydrating.jpg

I also prepped a stack of 10+ trays of Asian pears which are likewise drying. Let's hope these raisins will be sweet when dried!

On a yet another somber note, did the paperwork for 2019 taxes so that our accountant can file our taxes. It was incredible to see how much money I had spent on the forum. It was like 300 line items from the Visa card alone! Paid something like $1,700 to the post office alone! Fortunate enough in life to afford it but if you want to take my mind off of it, I appreciate some donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Coffee_fan

Hey Amir, thanks for the review. I bought it on ebay a few years back and use it effectively as a secondary system. It has a warm sound, but I always sensed a raspiness in the sound. From your measurements, possibly it is the distortion that you mention. The Roon integration works very well, which makes it a handy device.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hmm, the power into 4 ohm screen shot notes "Early rise in distortion (3 watts)" but I don't see a rise until about 20 watts?

A typical amplifier would continue the downward trend until flattening out and then rapidly rising at, or near clipping.

The overall THD is pretty poor. It's just a coincidence that @amirm 's 5W point corresponds to the best case THD for this thing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Headless is a bit harsh?

I don't think so.
Frequency response is shocking and not remotely HiFi.
THD is poor.
Power output into 8R at a decent THD is low
Power output into 4R is OK.

gvl

Major Contributor
I don't think so.
Frequency response is shocking and not remotely HiFi.
THD is poor.
Power output into 8R at a decent THD is low
Power output into 4R is OK.

It's meh, but nothing is broken.

Coffee_fan

Headless is a bit harsh?
I won't go in that debate. The amp supposedly has 45 WPC @ 8ohms and 90 WPC @ 4ohms, so it's not measuring even close to its spec. As for subjective impressions, I like it. I always use it either with the internal Linn Kazoo app or lately via Roon. I tried either the Analog or TosLink and disliked it at the time, streaming always sounded much better in this box. I figure they invested more in the streaming path.

bidn

Wow!
I wasn't expecting this!
Here in Europe paid reviewers (I mean paid by means of having a salary from their work in a magazine, or through ads or through receiving for free very expensive "audiophile" stuff the sell afterwards) have succeeded in establishing an image of Linn as producing expensive, faultless, perfect top highend devices.
Now with your measurements you have debunked another audiophile myth:
- a DAC not quite meeting the CD resolution of 96 dB is unacceptable at such a high new price, this is what I would only accept from a device costing no more than a few dozen euros! (I understand why you passed on the multitone test with already such unacceptable results at such a price)
- the frequency response truncated at both ends is absolutely unacceptable for such an expensive product, esp. given the (now debunded) subjective image of their delivering faultless, top products
- the same applies to the weak amplification which also produces distortion way too early.

On the the positive side, at least it is still not pure crap like the super-expensive TotalDAC (TotalARNAC for French connoisseurs...), some products by PS Audio,
or the earlier Schiit stuff (before the latter took seriously into account your measurements and started afterwards to properly engineer their products).
Nethertheless for me this performance remains unacceptable given the original pricing and the image of Linn.

YSC

Major Contributor
Seems like the general conclusion is to avoid all this AVR and streamers as a whole

Coffee_fan

Seems like the general conclusion is to avoid all this AVR and streamers as a whole
I like streamers or integrated amps for the convenience. They do everything in one box and they're easy to move. I don't like cables for one, so the less the better. As long as they sound decent I am ok. Very subjectively speaking, this one sounds better than it measures.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is no surprise to me , please don't measure any more Linn or Naim products Amirm , the UK is already at a level of national embarrassment unprecedented in our history lol .

I vote we let Scotland make their own way in the world. That absolves us of Linn at any rate.

Coffee_fan

- a DAC not quite meeting the CD resolution of 96 dB is unacceptable at such a high new price, this is what I would only accept from a device costing no more than a few dozen euros!.
Keep in mind the device is 11 years old. I agree it was very pricey at the time. Not sure if Linn is still using the same DAC / circuitry nowadays.

Coffee_fan

Raspi-3 + HAT is the name of the game for streaming purposes.
I have a Pi and have worked with the USB output. I get annoyed a bit with Volumio. I will try again, see if I can install the Roon bridge on it. As for DAC I want to get the allo piano black as HAT. Once I have that I will feed it to an old Marantz I have.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a level matched comparison between a beautifully made but expensive Linn Klimax DS and some much less expensive DACs that changed the course of my hifi buying about 10 years ago. It sounded no different to the others.
OTOH, whilst not state of today's art, I am sure I personally would not be able to hear any shortcomings on the DAC side of this but the amp is very, very disappointing maybe OK for background but certainly not serious listening. And I HATE music in the background, particularly when I have something to do. :)

Top Bottom