• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Latest Guttenberg Video talks about measurements

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The video is boring, but the guy has a point. There is objective right and subjective right, and the link between those is not 1 on 1. But objective right points most often to that the chance that it's subjective right is much higher than when not objective right. And measurements tell a lot, but not on subjective factors of the individual person. But there is also a lot of snake oil gibberish in the video also. But it's nice that also that kind of people start to recognise the big value of ASR and the measurments and methods of measurements of Amir & Co.
Thanks for the summary. No surprises.

Digby

Major Contributor
Didn't click on it. I just hope that these folks who created YouTube videos can understand that most people don't have the patience to watch a 20min video.
You can speed up the video, something between 1.5 and 1.75 is good for all but fastest talkers.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think it is worth watching the video to see/hear the reactions from Steve as Mark talks about the issues with subjective listening. Just set to speed in youtube player (click the gear icon) to 1.25 ot 1.5X and you can hear it much faster. It is an important milestone so worth a watch.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can speed up the video, something between 1.5 and 1.75 is good for all but fastest talkers.
Indeed. I even listen at 2.0X sometimes. A hint: use the keyboard shortcuts "<" and ">" to slow down or speed up the video. But note that as embedded in the forum, you need to first click on the video frame itself and then hit play to continue. Then the keyboard shortcuts work including the "f" key which takes it full screen!

posvibes

Hey it is only 18 minutes (instead of 23) if you set the playback speed to 1.25x you know.

I also don't think he is wrong about the tape and positioning Maggies. I've owned some and certainly with 3.3Rs, you move them a little bit and you have a totally different imaging. I too had to align them very carefully with tape on the floor and careful measurements to get the best of them. Alas the ribbons are great, but the Maggie panels have a sound of some sort that is boring and low rez making me unhappy with them over time.
My first hi-fi speakers were Magnepan SMG'S and in the accompanying literature that came with the speakers they recommended tape markings on the floor. I guess it was because they needed so much room and they advised that the speakers can be backed up against a wall for background listening.

That was back in 1979/80 or thereabouts last century.

r042wal

Forum Donor
Didn't click on it. I just hope that these folks who created YouTube videos can understand that most people don't have the patience to watch a 20min video.

I thought that only applied to millennials :)
If it's 5 min or less, I don't watch them.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Good to see that measurements and room response are mainstream topics now.
Time to break another taboo: all Iron Maiden albums featuring Dickinson are TERRIBLY MIXED hahahah!
It is a topic for many decades. Since many tech bring the cost, it is affordable to many.

eatapc

Nope. Still too rambling and ad hoc. The reason these YouTube presentations test my patience is that they are rarely completely scripted and planned, especially when there is more than one speaker. Just look at the "ums" in the transcript. In addition, simply watching a bobblehead talking is visually boring.
In my defense, it was totally ad hoc. Steve and I had discussed doing an episode about "living with Maggies." However, Steve decided it would be more interesting to open the discussion to other topics. He showed me his list of questions just before he started recording; I did not prepare anything other than Magnepan stuff. I edited myself as I spoke to keep the discussion moving and have time to get through all the questions. Even so, Steve had to cut large chunks for time. (I'm a video editor, so I understand the need for editing.) Steve is great just standing there and talking; I'm not in his league. I shot some b-roll for him so I wouldn't be just a talking head. -- Mark

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched that video last night. I thought Mark did a pretty nice job with his skepticism, except that I think he wasn’t quite nuanced enough about the “I can’t trust my ears” thing. He had the right idea, but expressed it in a way that made it easy for the subjectivist crowd to dismiss his point.
Can't upset the base.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought that only applied to millennials :)
If it's 5 min or less, I don't watch them.
While it would of course depend on content of many videos, you can count on wasting 20 minutes of time with Guttenberg generally....to each his own I suppose.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
While it would of course depend on content of many videos, you can count on wasting 20 minutes of time with Guttenberg generally....to each his own I suppose.

well yeah I don't think most of us would recommend watching Guttenberg's videos on any regular basis, but there's lots and lots of creators on Youtube who put out vids much longer than 20 minutes that are well worth watching...and since some of those vids get hundreds of thousands of views there's apparently a fair number of people capable of watching them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
well yeah I don't think most of us would recommend watching Guttenberg's videos on any regular basis, but there's lots and lots of creators on Youtube who put out vids much longer than 20 minutes that are well worth watching...and since some of those vids get hundreds of thousands of views there's apparently a fair number of people capable of watching them.

There are some good vids, but tons of bad ones otoh.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
haha, oh well then I guess we better stick with TV or movies or music where there's no bad, only good. :D
LOL wasn't saying that. I just try and see if the vid is good enough to interrupt playing music for the most part. Vids can be useful, just takes some sifting sometimes. I just find Guttenberg reliably avoidable.

Chaconne

@amirm should approach Steve and offer himself as an interviewee.
Seriously, I think a YouTube discussion between the two would serve the audiophile community well. They are both reasonable, well-spoken adults with very specific points of view. No reason it can't be friendly. Maybe catch a brew or two beforehand to buddy-up a bit. I know I'd watch it, regardless of playback speed.

Top Bottom