• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Latest Guttenberg Video talks about measurements

diablo

Forum Donor
For some reason I'd always thought that Steve Guttenberg always looked like he does now. But apparently not -

IMG-2314-2.jpg

It didn't seem too long to me. Quite interesting. Especially him marking out the Magnepans with a ruler and putting tape markers on the carpet.

A while ago I was considering getting the Magnepan LRS to see if I liked them, but then read Amir's review about the 'head in a vice' problem. :oops:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Didn't click on it. I just hope that these folks who created YouTube videos can understand that most people don't have the patience to watch a 20min video.
Hmm people actually do. Darko can pull 100k viewers, Steve 50k for their 20 minute efforts. Given the size of this community that's a lot of people with sufficient patience.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s interesting is that neither of the two gents in the video believe in measurements being a steadfast standard and think that there needs to be skepticism and a fine line to sit in the middle between being an objectivist and subjectivist.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Didn't click on it. I just hope that these folks who created YouTube videos can understand that most people don't have the patience to watch a 20min video.

If you suffer from attention deficit disorder then you can go view tik tok videos,

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
For some reason I'd always thought that Steve Guttenberg always looked like he does now. But apparently not -

IMG-2314-2.jpg

It didn't seem too long to me. Quite interesting. Especially him marking out the Magnepans with a ruler and putting tape markers on the carpet.

A while ago I was considering getting the Magnepan LRS to see if I liked them, but then read Amir's review about the 'head in a vice' problem. :oops:
I wouldn't call Maggie's a sweet spot. Reaching for a beer removed me from the "spot."

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched that video last night. I thought Mark did a pretty nice job with his skepticism, except that I think he wasn’t quite nuanced enough about the “I can’t trust my ears” thing. He had the right idea, but expressed it in a way that made it easy for the subjectivist crowd to dismiss his point.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey it is only 18 minutes (instead of 23) if you set the playback speed to 1.25x you know.

I also don't think he is wrong about the tape and positioning Maggies. I've owned some and certainly with 3.3Rs, you move them a little bit and you have a totally different imaging. I too had to align them very carefully with tape on the floor and careful measurements to get the best of them. Alas the ribbons are great, but the Maggie panels have a sound of some sort that is boring and low rez making me unhappy with them over time.

Last edited:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran into this thread during the Super Bowl... so I had some free time.

I found it pretty relevant. Far better than your standard audio discussion on YouTube.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Transcribe it using a tool, then can read, no need to watch;

JSmith
Nope. Still too rambling and ad hoc. The reason these YouTube presentations test my patience is that they are rarely completely scripted and planned, especially when there is more than one speaker. Just look at the "ums" in the transcript. In addition, simply watching a bobblehead talking is visually boring.

Waxx

Major Contributor
The video is boring, but the guy has a point. There is objective right and subjective right, and the link between those is not 1 on 1. But objective right points most often to that the chance that it's subjective right is much higher than when not objective right. And measurements tell a lot, but not on subjective factors of the individual person. But there is also a lot of snake oil gibberish in the video also. But it's nice that also that kind of people start to recognise the big value of ASR and the measurments and methods of measurements of Amir & Co.

pagan84

Good to see that measurements and room response are mainstream topics now.
Time to break another taboo: all Iron Maiden albums featuring Dickinson are TERRIBLY MIXED hahahah!

Top Bottom